Sign in to follow this  
BoFFin

Destroying dammaged equipment in ofp:r

A long winded thought about OFP:R and the logistics of limited vehicles-equipment.

Normally, destroying military issued equipment is not encouraged. However, in the course of battle it may become necessary to re-position your forces, and in doing so, leave fixed or dammaged equipment behind.

Then, the squad leader would order that the Engineers destroy that equipment as to prevent it from falling into enemy hands. Far as I know, in that situation, this is an accepted military tactic.

Now, I was playing around in OFP and the enemy forces dammaged my tank. I jump out of the tank and engaged the enemy. After having eliminated the enemy forces, I decided to destroy the tank "as to prevent it from falling into enemy hands." Picked up a RPG and voila, no more tank.

At which point, my number two soldier drilled me in the noggin, "Oh no, Number 1 is down." I am lying there, wondering what on earth I did to get fragged - then I realized that I destroyed one of our vehicles, so making me the enemy.

Having discovered this the hard way, I wonder if this tactic will be addressed in OFP:R?

One of the challenges in OFP:R is that you have to beg, borrow or steal equipment from the enemy forces. So, you have to build up your equipment. Is the same for the enemy? Like if a tank was dammaged, would they try to recover it?

The way I understand it, there is going to be limited number of vehicles etc, and they get carried from mission to mission.

But is this a moot point? That when OFP:R enemy forces come across a dammaged tank they will destory it, versus trying to repair it? Even if they really needed an extra tank at that point in the campaign? Lord knows they shot at empty jeeps long enough. confused.gif

Any thoughts on this?

Are you sure you didn't forget Number 1 in the vehicle before exploding it?

It may sound funny, but vehicles in OF are neutral as long as there is no one inside. Really strange you got that message...

Actually, I think that the empty vehicle's side is that of the last unit to enter it. So if you are West and you leave the vehicle, destroying it would mean destroying your vehicle.

I like the idea of changing that in OFP R though - the current system is rather stupid.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I ordered a soldier with an M16M203 to attack a Ural. He emptied 4 magazines before firing his grenades.  And i tried to stop him, but none of my orders worked?

<span id='postcolor'>

Have you tried ordering him to use the grenade launcher (choose solider - option 6 use grenade launcher) I don't know if this will work or even if the option to use the 203 is there. But I have tried this with getting soldiers to use their Laws to attack something. (usually they ignore you confused.gif ) but it may be worth a try.

I may be wrong about this, but...

...driving a vehicle who belongs to the enemy side, the enemy engages the vehicle as soon as it sees it, even if its 300 meters away. How does the enemy know if its friend or foe that drives the vehicle, if he cant see the persons inside...?

...and if Boffins theory is true - why can the enemy engage that same vehicle without starting a battle amongs themselves?

My conclusions is the same that Heinrich stated - vehicles change sides as different sides use them...

But it would be cool if u could steal an enemy vehicle and sneak through enemy lines, making them think it was a vehicle of their own...

Wobble and I checked this in some different perspective one time.

if you LAW a CObra or a jeep, your subordinate will kill you for being enemy(in ofp, it would be negative points for you so AI consider you an enemy).

so there is some intrinsic side property associated with each vehicle, even when they are empty.

I dont think it can be fixed. AI just sees that you did FF. So they kill you. I don't think certain circumstances can apply to this. A destryoed friendly is a destroyed friendly.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Prof.Wizard @ June 27 2002,09:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are you sure you didn't forget Number 1 in the vehicle before exploding it?

It may sound funny, but vehicles in OF are neutral as long as there is no one inside. Really strange you got that message...<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe you accidently DID number 1 in the vehicle before exiting it? tounge.gif

I got to thinking more about this, and I really beginning to think that "denying the enemy the use of equipment" will be part of OFP:R

From the OFP:R email I received:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Gamers take the role of Troska throughout Resistance and the all the events in the campaign are closely linked. As players progress, the amount of equipment, ammunition and fellow soldiers persists from one mission to another. Tactical use of supplies comes into play as gamers attempt to grow forces through gaining new recruits and gathering equipment, in order to build an army powerful enough to repel the Soviets.

<span id='postcolor'>

Now say you come across a sentry guarding an ammo dump, and three Urals. Using your pistol you shoot the guard and capture the ammo dump. You call over your squad .... and pound that action key to have them load up with all the rifles, magazines, and grenades that they can carry.

Then you move two of the Urals next to the ammo dump, so when you touch off the timebomb you just planted, they all go up in a nice loud bang. Pile the squad into the third Ural and drive a safe distance away, and touch off the bomb. tounge.gif

Now, will your squad shoot you for blowing up those two Urals next to the ammo dump? confused.gif

Was it necessay for you to blow up the ammo dump in order to prevent the enemy AI from re-arming, or enemy AI are always loaded?

Is this what "Tactical use of supplies" is all about?

Basically the question is, since Resistance forces have to account for every bullet, does the same hold for the enemy forces? confused.gif

I guess you can say thats a tactical use of supplies. What that also means is don't waste anything. You have to convserve becuase you dont have much. But using enemies stuff against them is definately a tactical use.

getting back to the point of the topic, its something that im really happy about. I love stealing enemy stuff in OFP (comes from my RTS background). the current system is very flawed when it comes to this. the side of a vehicle (even if it is empty) always stays the same. I have made several missions where you steal an enemy tank and join an armored fight...both sides will taget your vehicle(the side your on will only target on certain occasions) but as soon as you exit the vehicle, your buddies will house it. on the battlefeild AI will rarely target an empty or disabled enemy unit but it does happen(usually depends on combat mode). another case and point, i just finished a kashmir mission where Pakistani's are using M113's. since they are on the east side and M113's are on the west side this is very difficult. i placed empty M113's and used moveingunner/driver to place the paki crews in them. the problem is that paki RPG's will still destroy the M113's packed full of thier buddies sad.gif I fixed this by putting "this setcaptive true" in the init feild and it works like a charm but this means that neither side will fire at them.

bottom line is that a vehicles side empty or not is still inbedded in the code somewhere but my hopes are that OFP:R will fix this. Im assuming you will be able to destroy empty vehicles on either side w/o getting capped as a traitor. this is yet another reason i am really looking forward to OFP:R.

PS would one of you lucky EU bastards jump into the editor and test a couple of senarios for us and answer the question?

Kane, if he took at # 1 in there, I wouldn't mind lettingthe enemies have it. And on the topic, one of you EU guys should try this for us!

Hmm the side system for vehicles is rather scetchy at times:

Ever noticed how when you enter an enemy empty vehicle and order your squad to board it too, the vehicle appears as RED as in ENEMY, but still your squad dosnt blow it to pieces. My theory is that the IFF (Identify friend or foe) system in ofp is tied to distance? Every noticed when in a helicopter and you say have a T55 first it says "TANK" in yellowish text and after that if you have flown close enough it says "T55" in white text as in "UNKNOWN" (empty/disabled...?) and only if it fires at you or you fly close enough it turns RED... thus similarily friendly AI forces could well target you from far away if you are using a T72... on the other hand enemys always seem to know to what side an vehicle belongs..