Sign in to follow this  
ruPal

ARMA3 + AMD8320 on 4 cores vs 8 cores

I read many threads about amd processors here + very bad Arma 3 optimization that uses only 4 cores. So here is the questions:

1. Will I get the same performance in Arma 3 on AMD 8320 with 8 cores and 4 cores (1 core per module is disabled)?

2. If it is true then should I leave 4 cores and try to overclock them a little bit harder than all 8 cores? Will I get lower temps 4 cores vs 8 cores on the same freq and voltage?

I also read things like this, but sadly my Mainboard (Asus A97) does not support 1 core per module. I can only disable Modules, but not single cores. But I think that you would achieve a higher performance if you disable some cores and overlock the others more. Arma really needs much GHz, but only on one single core.

My dream is that Arma 3 will be multicore optimized. I also have an FX with eight cores and I think that 80+ fps would be possible with optimisation and with a better netcode.

Come on BIS, this is the year 2014! You cannot try to be competitive when you release such unoptimized software..

My 8120 8 core yielded awesome results at 4.2ghz. My only limits now are my 1gb graphics card. With heavy AI my framerates only dip lower in big cities, even then it's not bad at all

My 8320 @4.5Ghz goes good with 4 or 8 cores. Gets real hot with all 8 cores unlocked and doesnt offer to much improvement over the 4 cores. Having said that it does "feel" smoother with all 8 going with lots of AI/ scripts running. I think it comes down to personal preference. Try and see what you're happy with. The faster the cores though the better FPS you will see. So try 4 cores @ 4.5Ghz or better if it allows you. Just make sure you have real good cooling on CPU. Have fun!

My 8120 8 core yielded awesome results at 4.2ghz. My only limits now are my 1gb graphics card. With heavy AI my framerates only dip lower in big cities, even then it's not bad at all

Trust me, even with a 4GB card the frame rates still dip in most towns, I went from a 560ti 1GB to a 770 4GB, my fps gains were extremely insignificant in Arma 3, every other game loved it. XD

GPUs make no difference when map is loaded with AIs and especially when firefights breat out. I upgraded from a GTX 570 to GTX 770 recently and I got the same frames in most scenarios. I knew that GPU was insignificant in ARMA but I bought the card for other games. The only time you can see more frames is in an empty map. My frames using editor and Stratis reached 170 all high to very high without any AIs on the map.