Sign in to follow this  
quibbly

How to stop people from using their Microphones

Anyone have a program, or a command line to kick the people who love to use microphones. This feature is entire crap and should be removed from the game. If they want that feature, use their own CPU and bandwidth.

Quibbly

Quibblys Game Domain, pure T-3

ofp.quibbly.com

Cant turn it off...your best bet is to reduce the number of players in order to "make room" for the voice...it doesnt eat that much bandwidth.

it eats enough bandwidth...

plus, you can't prevent the idiot children from spamming global comms with racial slurs, music, etc...

The only thing I do, is either start kicking recent joins, or look at the bandwidth usage on the player screen, the highest users are usually the culprits.

If you kick em, and the voice stops, wait till they rejoin, do a #userlist, and add the ID to the ban.txt file

Till BIS gives us the ability to turn off this useless feature (at least useless on pub servers), we can't do too much.

On our server we utilize Voice and it works great. Doesn't seem to lag down the server.

I just wish you knew WHO was speaking at any given time and the Voice was only on when you press a key... when the key is released it would unmic. Like CS...

Yeah it would be great if you could get an icon to show who was talking. This would also make it possible to kick those who only wants to mess things up.

And a server command where you could enable/disable channels or radio all together. Like if you only want to allow vehicle and direct talk (over microphone ofcourse).

-Rekrul

I suppose you could drop all packets to the port used for voice communication. I'm not sure what ports you would need to try, but I guess tcp & udp 2234.

...wich is also where all the game info comes leaving you unable to play MP on Internet if you do...

Servers could use more options like this...good idea allowing only certain channels...direct or team would be nice...also...the admin should somehow be able to find out whos transmiting so that they can bump the freaks that like to play music over their mic.

maybe (if we could find out who talks) the server dudes set rules that ban those who use the voice in non related fashion. I think that it would work. No one could complain cause there always is roger wilco.

Roger Wilco? I would complain.

The voice chat is a great feature, many serious team players use it. What would do away with your problems, and improve the gameplay of those using the radio is displaying the chatters name.

ex:

WEST Pink 1: VOiCE

EAST Blue 1: VOiCE

Something like that.

Guys, what are you talking about? Voice can be disabled.

Put this in the server config:

voiceOverNet = false

Came out in 1.42.

Lmao it's even older now, but turning the VON off means half the GOOD, SERIOUS players out there will not play those servers. I wouldn't anyway... A good game need communication. VON doesn'T lag decent DSL connected servers when running on a decent PC. lamers who host with celeries and durons should learn from this: a cheap CPU is a useless piece of junk. You are probably running a CPU hog OS like XP or 2K, have loads of junk running in the traybar, have a OEM screwed up version of Windows like a DELL or HP "restore disk version" . Get a real PC, a good fast CPU (Not a low-end crappy celery) a decent mobo with no "onboard" junk, and your problems will be solved.

Yeah, I'm not really concerned with the lag issues anymore, were running a p4 2.2ghz server now, but I still have VON disabled till I can get a way of identifying who is talking..too many kids spamming comms, with no way of telling who it is. We advertise our RW server in the MOTD, and on the front page of our website. At least then we have some control over the kids, and can still have some teamwork.

I'd love to be able to use the built in VON though, if they would just enable some sort of ID system.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wreck-It @ April 23 2002,10:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Lmao it's even older now, but turning the VON off means half the GOOD, SERIOUS players out there will not play those servers. I wouldn't anyway... A good game need communication. VON doesn'T lag decent DSL connected servers when running on a decent PC. lamers who host with celeries and durons should learn from this: a cheap CPU is a useless piece of junk. You are probably running a CPU hog OS like XP or 2K, have loads of junk running in the traybar, have a OEM screwed up version of Windows  like a DELL or HP "restore disk version" . Get a real PC, a good fast CPU (Not a low-end crappy celery) a decent mobo with no "onboard" junk, and your problems will be solved.<span id='postcolor'>

If you want to host a decent server, Windows 2000 and Windows XP are a much better choice. They are from the ground up designed to live in a network environment, rather than having network support grafted onto them through a redirector. Just thought I'd mention that...