Sign in to follow this  
Grace

Community Map/Mod Packs - A community release?

Hi there peeps,

I was wondering if we can get our fellow map makers or Map makers Permissions together and release multiple maps all in one addon pack EG: "Community Desert Map Pack" & "Community Woodland Map Pack", containing a load of desert and woodland maps from multiple map makers.

I believe that this would be much more convenient, it will save having 20/30+ mods in your mod list and it will also make things easier for clan/group members.

I also believe that it should be done with other mods such as CAF_AG and CAF_AG_static_weapons and RDS_Armour turning 3 commonly used mods into 1 pack.

What do you think?

Copy all pbos into @My_community_pack and its solve ur problem.

Even when playing online? Doubt so.

Although this would work, it would make updating the individual maps a real pain in the ****. I think Grace is suggesting that, by packing all maps into one pack that is manged by one person/group, it would be much more convenient for both players and server owners. It's the same with your @A3MP - it's much easier to have Chernarus, Takistan, Zargabad, Utes etc in one pack that is managed by one person as to opposed to many separate addons managed by different people.

This is why I like the idea of the Community Upgrade Project so much - an addon that packs various different mods/ports into one place and is managed by a single group.

Edited by Goodson

Alduric please use your brain a bit more when replying mate, If I wanted to put all my map .pbo's into one folder for myself I would have done so, but that doesn't Help the community, The Idea is to be able to release the map pack to the public and for that it requires all the map owners permissions. (hence "Community Map pack")

Although this would work, it would make updating the individual maps a real pain in the ****. I think Grace is suggesting that, by packing all maps into one pack that is managed by one person/group, it would be much more convenient for both players and server owners. It's the same with your @A3MP - it's much easier to have Chernarus, Takistan, Zargabad, Utes etc in one pack that is managed by one person as to opposed to many separate addons managed by different people.

This is why I like the idea of the Community Upgrade Project so much - an addon that packs various different mods/ports into one place and is managed by a single group.

You've got the jist Goodson, that is exactly what I am suggesting. It would make things allot easier.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

I have just gone around requesting the Owners Permission of the 12 A2 Desert maps I have selected, which total around 3.4GB (Not bad considering theres 12 maps) The maps I have selected are:

-FATA

-Sangin

-Hazar kot

-Tarin kot

-fallujah

-QueshKibrul

-Torabora

-Tropica

-Aliabad

-GulfOfAqaba

-Fayshkhabur

-Afghan Village

I have tested most of them individually with @A3MP /@A3MPAP without errors, I will later check the log files for .Rpt spams.

Edited by Grace

I don't see any benefits of doing such a pack, you can always do a repository (A3 Sync, PwS) or custom collection for these maps for your community.

What is most important is, that having this in one pack would have huge impact on server hostings and trafic. And it would be hard to maintain it.

I have my own custom configs for some of A2 maps with images of satellite view of map, example - http://www.reddit.com/tb/284rfp.

I have plan to realese this for public, also with list of maps which are working great with A3MP and list of maps which are not. I could also highlight which maps are Desert, which Woodland etc.

So personally I think, this would be better solution. But if you decide to do these packs, I could provide you these configs with satellite picture of maps.

And the bigest problem with A2 maps is that AI can see throght objects etc. :/

I liked this idea, yes would make things a lot more easier, sometimes of i have more than one map of The same author, He usually use The keys with The same name, so i can't throw out one key by placing both in The same paste file, and to do updates it is a pain.

i already can't add more mods to my mod line, because it have no Space anymore, so yeah would be very nice not only create a community pack, but of The authors that have several mods like RH, of they could do a single pack with a single key, this Way The mods would work and wouldn't be a pain to install mods manualy... Sorry The misspelling, my celphone is a Windows Phone for portuguese, so it correct The words to portuguese, ir changes few lethers

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

Should be a if not of

like the idea to some mod team all ready doing that like the USAF mod first one person now there have a team to make mod.