Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead - Linux Server beta 1.63.125985

Server binary

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18463425/a2oa/a2oa-server-1.63.125985.tar.bz2

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18463425/a2oa/a2oa-server-1.63.125985.tar.bz2

STEAM libraries (needed)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18463425/a2oa/a2oa163linux-steam-libraries.zip

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18463425/a2oa/a2oa163linux-steam-libraries.zip

CRC32: 328B88EC

MD5: 507C8F01255EBFD4A512BD1C352AEB64

SHA-1: D9A82B1AE53FD90E59A2515DEE0C3259C95A99CC

Note:

* it requires Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead data to be updated to version 1.63 first in order to run properly.

Please provide us with feedback to this topic.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Dedicated_Server

Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead - Linux Standalone Server 1.63

===============================================================

Copyrigt © 2010 Bohemia Interactive Studio. All rights reserved.

For more information please visit

http//community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Dedicated_Server

Installation instructions:

==========================

1. Following programs must have been installed on your Linux-box:

tar, gcc. Optional: md5sum (for setup integrity check)

1a. On some verions of Linux (this was reported for RedHat 9

and Gentoo linux 2.4.20) the NSCD deamon must be installed to

run ArmA 2 server successfully. Caching of DNS would be sufficient.

2. Copy the whole "ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead" directory from Windows

to some Linux-directory (arma2arrowhead). DON'T DO ANY DATA CONVERSIONS

(even "dos2unix" translation of text files is not necessary).

Example: you can use PKZIP (WinZip, PowerArchiver, etc.) on

Windows and "unzip" on Linux.

Don't use upper case letters in the ArmA2 directory name

(/home/bob/arma2arrowhead will be good, /home/bob/ArmA2ArrowHead

may cause some troubles).

ArmA2 directory should contain subdirectories "Addons", "Bin",

"Campaigns", etc.

3. Copy the "server-x.xx.tar.gz" (x.xx is version number) file into

the arma2arrowhead directory. Unpack and install it with commands:

arma2arrowhead$ tar -xjf server-x.xx.tar.bz2

arma2arrowhead$ ./install

Watch the messages - they will inform you whether your installation

is successful.

4. Dedicated server can be started in foreground:

arma2arrowhead$ ./server

Or in background:

o$ nohup ./server > out.txt 2> err.txt &

[1] <pid>

5. Running server can be stopped by executing:

$ kill -s SIGINT <pid>

Where <pid> is process-id of mother server thread (printed out in

"nohup" command).

6. ArmA2 ArrowHead server has a feature: command-line parameter

"-pid=<pid_file>". It causes creation of <pid_file> with

PID of root ArmA2 process. If IP port specified in "-port=<nn>"

parameter is busy (in usage), ArmA2 will terminate immediately

and <pid_file> won't be written..

7. The "arma2server" script is provided for automatic server

start/restart/status query/etc. Please be sure to edit

CONFIGURATION PARAMETERS in lines 12 to 18 !

After this is done, install (hard-link?) the script into

"/etc/rc.d/init.d/arma2server" file. After that it can be managed

by "chkconfig" (see info/man).

previous thread about 1.63.xxxxx linux server :

Edited by Dwarden

Little problem.

WATCHDOG (7034): [Fri Jul 11 16:23:32 BRT 2014] Starting server (port 2302)...
/home/steam/arma2oa/server: error while loading shared libraries: libsteam_api.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
WATCHDOG (7034): [Fri Jul 11 16:23:32 BRT 2014] Server died, waiting to restart...
WATCHDOG (7034): [Fri Jul 11 16:23:37 BRT 2014] Starting server (port 2302)...
/home/steam/arma2oa/server: error while loading shared libraries: libsteam_api.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any idea?

"error while loading shared libraries: libsteam_api.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

same over here.

Hello, Dwarden

Could you please clarify a few things?

Is running graphical steam client necessary for starting server now?

or is it just the .so files that are needed?

what is correct steam appid for Arma 2 OA linux dedicated server? Is it mandatory to set it?

The second thing is - even after running the server in conjunction with steam client, I get "Session lost" immediately after clicking the "Join" button, it is not even letting me into the lobby. I am using steam version of Arma 2 OA (1.63.125548). Reinstalled both server and client files without any effect. It is working fine if I downgrade the server to 1.63.112555 and use steam Arma 2 OA beta (1.63.112555), also I am using Epoch mod 1.0.5.2 if it is relevant

Looking forward to your answer

Even putting steamcmd linux32 folder in /usr/lib program don´t start as selfmega user said.

WATCHDOG (16651): [sat Jul 12 11:02:58 BRT 2014] Starting server (port 2302)...
[s_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
[s_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so.
11:03:22 Dedicated host created.
11:03:23 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.192)
11:03:23 Host identity created.
Could not find steamerrorreporter binary. Any minidumps will be uploaded in-processArmA 2 OA Console version 1.63 : port 2302

I respectfully ask:

- Why these errors? Nobody's programming team tests the files before launching the minimum test version?

- Why so much delay to response a eminent problems. :(

I lost more and more players in my server because this updates uncontrolled.

Maybe a simple message from developers said: "- Hang on, we working on this task." or "- Thanks for report this problem" can help us to know we are not alone in this problem.

Even putting steamcmd linux32 folder in /usr/lib program don´t start as selfmega user said.

WATCHDOG (16651): [sat Jul 12 11:02:58 BRT 2014] Starting server (port 2302)...
[s_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so.
11:03:22 Dedicated host created.
11:03:23 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.192)
11:03:23 Host identity created.
Could not find steamerrorreporter binary. Any minidumps will be uploaded in-processArmA 2 OA Console version 1.63 : port 2302

I respectfully ask:

- Why these errors? Nobody's programming team tests the files before launching the minimum test version?

- Why so much delay to response a eminent problems. :(

I lost more and more players in my server because this updates uncontrolled.

Maybe a simple message from developers said: "- Hang on, we working on this task." or "- Thanks for report this problem" can help us to know we are not alone in this problem.

Nope, I said that I have trouble connecting to server with steam client, the server itself starts without errors if you properly install graphical steam client and have it logged in and running.

Nope, I said that I have trouble connecting to server with steam client, the server itself starts without errors if you properly install graphical steam client and have it logged in and running.
I run my server in VPS. What is "graphical steam client"(link)? How use this in VPS? Where is info to use this? Never needed in previous version.

I run my server in VPS. What is "graphical steam client"(link)? How use this in VPS? Where is info to use this? Never needed in previous version.

it is the steam application itself. The same that used in windows, but ported to linux

http://media.steampowered.com/client/installer/steam.deb

you need to have X based desktop environment running on server, and probably VNC to control it

it would be retarded if the grapical client is required. steamcmd doesn't solve the problem, also tried the libsteam_api.so from arma3 also no success.

response from dev would be nice.

ye unfortunately the STEAM Linux libraries aren't part of the archive , I will get that fixed next week ...

ye unfortunately the STEAM Linux libraries aren't part of the archive , I will get that fixed next week ...

would you be so kind to answer questions I posted earlier?

Another option is to run under WINE. Oddly enough, I've actually noticed a significant performance improvement running 1.63 under WINE compared to running the Linux server files on 1.62. Better server FPS, better client FPS in areas where it would usually drop compared to rest of map, and noticeably more efficient CPU usage. The Linux version would just hog 1 processor before, and offload a bit of work to another one, now the workload is divided much better between processors with WINE.

Only issue I still have of course is the lack of support for callExtension.

Just a note - If you are installing for the first time, you'll need to 'chmod 777 install' before you run it. Usually it comes that way but in this it was 644. Not that it matters if you're updating, the only file changed is 'server', so just unpack to a temp folder and copy 'server' to the arma2oa directory.

I had some time to kill so I experimented with running this on a centos 6 headless server. Seems to me that most linux servers that would want to run this are headless. Maybe they just developed this for linux desktop users? I'm not sure how the steam thing works.

Looking at the server binary with ldd, it requires:

./server: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.16' not found (required by ./server)
./server: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by ./server)
linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0x00c5a000)
libsteam_api.so => not found
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00938000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x008c3000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x00110000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x008bc000)
librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0x00927000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x003a3000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00723000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00701000)

So for my centos system it needs a glibc library containing GLIBC_2.15/16, and libsteam_api.so I grabbed them from various sources. I realize that having newer libs on a older (stable server) system can be a headache, but I thought maybe they'll distribute the libs and link them locally in the arma2 directory. I've seen other games and such do this.

You can find libsteam_api.so (legally) by installing steam for linux in your distro. I have a Centos6 server with X installed (but not used or running) for occasions like this and got steam through rpmfusion.org repository (rpmfusion.org/Configuration).

cp libsteam_api.so /usr/lib
ldconfig

arma2oaserver also needs GLIBC_2.15 and GLIBC_2.16 can be found in libc6_2.17-0ubuntu5.1_i386.deb and extract it with the ar command

wget ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributions/Ubuntu/pool/main/e/eglibc/libc6_2.17-0ubuntu5.1_i386.deb
ar vx libc6_2.17-0ubuntu5.1_i386.deb
tar -xvzf data.tar.gz

verify GLIBC_2.15 and GLIBC_2.16 are there...

strings lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc-2.17.so |grep GLIBC_
GLIBC_2.15
GLIBC_2.16
GLIBC_2.17

copied it to the arma2oa directory and make a soft link to libc.so.6

cp lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc-2.17.so /home/arma/arma2oa
ln -s /libc-2.17.so libc.so.6

Using ldd on the server binary again I see that it finds libsteam_api.so, but not libc.

So I put this in the startup script:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/home/arma/arma2oa
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

After all that of course I got a segfault running the server.

I hope BIS does give us a way to run arma2oa on a headless server like we already do for arma2.

I hope that by requiring Steam this won't just be for desktop users.

If not, I wrote all this in hopes that somebody else will have ideas for making this work.

Also, I haven't yet seen arma2oa show up on steam's dedicated server list (developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Dedicated_Servers_List)

After all that of course I got a segfault running the server.

You probably got segfault because you toyed with libc. You only need to install 32 bit compatibility libs if you are running 64 bit system. If your linux system is so old that it has incompatible glibc(which is unlikely) it is better to just upgrade. Server starts without errors if everything is installed correctly

first post updated with download of needed steam libraries ...

Ok, archive update... and? Where put this libraries? How use? I´m not programmer neither linux user.

The steam libs work in as far as I'm not getting errors. The server binary requires GLIBC_2.15/16. I have a 64 bit centos 6 that uses 2.12

I used a 32 bit glibc 2.17 out of a debian package and did the export bit in the init script. However, log file just states the server dies and restarts. 32bit compat is installed, but even if I upgrade centos I don't believe it'll get me higher than glibc 2.15. Any ideas? Maybe get it from GNU and compile it? An RPM upgrade of glibc sounds like it might break a lot of stuff...

Ok, archive update... and? Where put this libraries? How use? I´m not programmer neither linux user.

you place them where the Linux dedicated server binary is ...

Sorry Dwarden for my complete ignorancy about linux. I rent this server for use only DS arma 2.

I put this files in:

/usr/lib

/home/steam/arma2oa - *that is my instalation folder

/opt

/etc

Session Lost

15:19:05 Dedicated host created.
15:19:06 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.192)
15:19:06 Host identity created.

I try:

-Follow instruction fellas up too...

-Execute these files ./NEWFILES

Reboot my server and nothing happend

*I run in VPS server, ubuntu 13.04. No grafic interface(thats the reason not work?)

Necessary update in basic directions to install.

If necessary i send info about my VPS, login and password to see real problem.

Edited by morphixgb
more splanations

@dwarden is there no way that u compile the server binary with glibc <=2.15, many OS like centos/debian/ubuntu12.04 (lts) doesn't have glibc 2.16.

since glibc supports backward compatibility there is no reason to take 2.16+... even arma3 is linked with 2.15.

upgrading a LTS distri only for arma2 seems a bit exaggerated.

its just a friendly request, if its possible :)

why did you not place the dedicated server into steamcmd?

WATCHDOG (10462): [Tue Jul 22 13:23:32 CEST 2014] Starting Test-Server (port 2303)...

/home/steam/arma2/test/server: error while loading shared libraries: libsteam_api.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

WATCHDOG (10462): [Tue Jul 22 13:23:32 CEST 2014] Test-Server died, waiting to restart...

WATCHDOG (13621): [Tue Jul 22 13:23:33 CEST 2014] Starting Test-Server (port 2303)...

/home/steam/arma2/test/server: error while loading shared libraries: libsteam_api.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

WATCHDOG (13621): [Tue Jul 22 13:23:33 CEST 2014] Test-Server died, waiting to restart...

Ubuntu 14.04 (shell only) and iam not willed to install a GUI to get rid of...

libs are placed in "/home/steam/arma2/test/" (same place like server bin)

i got steamcmd installed, including all necessary libs....