Sign in to follow this  
zooloo75

Are there any ragdoll commands yet?

It's been quite a while since release, have any ragdoll commands sneaked past me?

I take that as a no... still...

Sadly, those ragdoll commands have ninja-like abilities and are still very elusive.

Hmm, I'll wait for ArmA12 for them to let us utilize the new ragdolls.

sorry, I'm an ignorant, and no native english, I see no good translation of ragdoll... What's a ragdoll command?

"Ragdoll" stands for the physically correct dropping of bodies.

Right now that effect is only applied when the unit in question is dead. What we want, is to be able to use that effect via scripting, for example for unconscious units.

Ragdoll is part of the physic engine. For example, when a unit gets killed, ragdoll takes over and makes them fall down "realistically". It would be cool if we could trigger stuff like this manually. Think of cutscenes etc. when you want some AI to get hit or blasted away by a (fake) explosion. Also useful in other areas of modding / scripting of course.

Ahm, so you mean you want a command that makes something like: YOU RELAX NOW!!! and the guy just falls to the floor without being dead or using any anim... isn't it?

Ahm, so you mean you want a command that makes something like: YOU RELAX NOW!!! and the guy just falls to the floor without being dead or using any anim... isn't it?

Correct. Combined with setVelocity, this would be a very welcomed addition for us scripters.

I don't imagine that it would be hard to implement at all since units already transition into a ragdoll state upon death. I may have to do some reverse engineering and see if I can somehow execute the function and call it internally in the game via callExtension.

Just wait for DayZ

they are doing experience with new ragdoll and physics engine (bullet or something).

I think it will come to arma3 EP.

Just wait for DayZ

they are doing experience with new ragdoll and physics engine (bullet or something).

I think it will come to arma3 EP.

I doubt that a new physics engine in DayZ would be migrated over to ArmA3, seeing as of how ArmA3 already has PhysX while DayZ doesn't.

guys don't forget that ragdoll is also triggered when you get hit by a car or any vehicle and if the hit was not too hard you will "recover" from the ragdoll state. all we need is that exact trigger as a script command. no need to even create something besides the dead state.

guys don't forget that ragdoll is also triggered when you get hit by a car or any vehicle and if the hit was not too hard you will "recover" from the ragdoll state. all we need is that exact trigger as a script command. no need to even create something besides the dead state.

Yea, but the object is still visible and breaks the immersion. IIRC an object with hideObject applied won't collide with other units or objects. If not, then hmmm.

The only way I've been able to get around it is to use a kludgy workaround: hide the unit, spawn a replacement with the same uniform, kill the replacement with setdamage 1 so it ragdolls, get the killed unit's direction on ground, switchmove the original to the same position and direction, remove the killed unit and unhide the original. Simple...

I agree, a ragdoll command would be very nice.

The only way I've been able to get around it is to use a kludgy workaround: hide the unit, spawn a replacement with the same uniform, kill the replacement with setdamage 1 so it ragdolls, get the killed unit's direction on ground, switchmove the original to the same position and direction, remove the killed unit and unhide the original. Simple...

I agree, a ragdoll command would be very nice.

Work-arounds such as this should not be a standard to do something as simple as triggering an already existing functionality of the game.

Work-arounds such as this should not be a standard to do something as simple as triggering an already existing functionality of the game.

I agree 103%

Well, I've managed to make a believable ragdolling function last night for FFIS2. Would be so much more convenient to have a standard command to do so.

I have it so when a unit is hit by a projectile or explosion, they ragdoll. Unlike your TPW Fall mod, I bypassed having to do such extremes :P

The trick is to spawn a small object, set its mass to a heavy number (~ > 300) and make it invisible (not with hideObject as that also removes collision) with setObjectTexture, setting its alpha to 0. Reposition the object near the unit and set the object's velocity to go towards the unit, knocking him down. Wait half a second, delete the object.

The only issue is that a shadow is still cast from the object, but wow, being ragdolled when hit is amazing in ArmA! It really is a cool effect and adds lots of immersion. I plan on releasing the ragdoll effect as a separate mod from FFIS2 (as well as having it already integrated within it) for people that just want ragdolling when getting hit. Why BIS hasn't done this already, I don't know, but from testing it, it's addicting to get shot (that sounds morbid, I know), and adds immersion to shooting a unit as they don't just shake off your bullet like nothing happened. Reminds me of GTA IV.

Expect the release tonight hopefully!

May I ask how you set the mass of an object? Or do you just apply a very high velocity?

May I ask how you set the mass of an object? Or do you just apply a very high velocity?

There's a new setMass command.

Remember, things become more massive as they gain velocity too! :D

Edited by zooloo75

Definitely interesting, thanks. I'll do some testing on my own but your idea sounds like the perfect occasion to make use of the tactical bacon as invisible ragdoll instrument. :D

I really enjoy combat in Arma 3 but it looks so insanely ridiculus and ugly when a guy glitches once he takes a bullet. Totally breaks immersion for me.

There's a new setMass command.

Remember, things become more massive as they gain velocity too! :D

I didn't know Arma3 handled relativistic physics :)

I didn't know Arma3 handled relativistic physics :)

I think that should be rephrased to, "I didn't know relativistic physics could handle ArmA."

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Hmm that makes me wan't to add a fired eventhandler to my weapon and replace every bullet with a heavy-mass physics-object.

Hell, I know what I'm going to do later today. :D

...in fact there are a few more things I'm going to have to try.

Oh btw. what object are you using for that?

And Tasers :)

...and hypnotize cannons :)

or some kind of survived explosion,like he is on a car,he gets ambushed,gets blown up,falls down with first person camera.and his friends cover him as he gets back up,:cool:

Edited by spartankicker
figured it out