Sign in to follow this  
Kydoimos

Helicopters DLC & Make Arma Not War

Hi all - just a quick question regarding the forthcoming 'Helicopters DLC'. Now, I read somewhere that this will be appearing (possibly) in September. Interestingly, that would still allow MANW contestants enough time to implement the DLC into the contest, before October.

So, a few questions:

What are the rules on DLC for the SP (and indeed, other categories) for MANW?

Any chance we could get a few very vague idea of what sort of content we will be expecting? e.g. Large transport helicopters for NATO / CSAT - recon helicopters - etc. (something tells me it's all top secret at this moment in time, but hey! Thought I'd ask!) :p

Many, many thanks for any response,

Arma 3 Helicopters

Together with the addition of distinctive new transport helicopters and a selective implementation of Take On Helicopter’s RotorLib Flight Dynamics Model (FDM), the basic goal of this DLC is to add appropriate depth and breadth to helicopter gameplay. Worthwhile mentioning, too, is that it's designed to be optional, open to game and server configuration. It's also important to note that all existing 'vanilla' helos will be upgraded to the new standard; again, this is free for everyone and the TKOH flight dynamics are completely optional. Helicopters aside, though, another key objective is to offer benefits for more players than pilots alone.

To achieve this goal, we've sought to create new mechanics that enhance the combined arms experience and improve the A3 platform more broadly. Although at an early stage of development, we're looking specifically at the logistical role of helicopters on the battlefield (via Sling Loading) and thinking about gameplay for soldiers in transit (via Firing from Vehicles). Both features are engine-based and MP-compatible, with Sling Loading available to all existing and new helicopters. Furthermore, although we're focusing upon helos as a starting point, Firing from Vehicles stands to benefit other sandbox assets; any specifically configured cargo positions offer potential gameplay for units (both players and AI) in transit. Due to release in the second half of 2014, we'll present the full key features at a later date.

source

I think it's mainly about the new flight model, but I'm also interested in the DLC policy regarding the contest. I've already used some stuff from Karts (finally another guy in "formal" clothes). From what I've read it shouldn't be a problem for players who don't own the DLC as they can play the content and just get some notifications. Anyway, I'm also looking forward to Bootcamp and Marksmen; and of course to the implementation of Mods / Campaigns in the steam workshop.

Yeah I don't think they would exclude the new flagship content either. If anything, it would be the other way round. If it was my company, I would want to promote it as much as possible.

As someone beavering away on competition stuff, I would like to use it as much as is possible (unless there are horrific pitfalls with MP use).

It's too frivolous to be thinking about it at this stage though. If it's an underwhelming DLC, then it will be ignored. But conversely; if it is the best thing since sliced bread then it will become Necessarius. Only at that point is it worth thinking about including in competition entries (for me anyway).

And only *IF* its released before deadline. Das Attorney makes a solid point, if its released in time and worth it, then I would include it. However I wouldnt plan your whole mod around it, not just yet anyways :)

there is still the problem:

for example, BIS said if we don't buy the DLC, we won't be able (for example) to be the pilote.

Still, what if we make a mission in the campaign in which the player IS the pilote of the new choppers? That would mean people who haven't bought it wouldn't be able to play it?

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Also, I thought of another question regarding the Helicopter DLC:

Will we be able to disable firing from vehicles (for cutscenes, etc.), as it stands, it might potentially clash with MANW entries. For example, say we have an AI unit shoot at the player's helo with a Titan - what if the player has the ability to kill the AI before he can do so? So, ok - there's workarounds (allowDamage false) but it would be a bit of an immersion killer. Could throw a spanner in the works? :p

set ammo to 0 for the units onboard

I just hope the new model won't break scripted waypoints or even unit capture...

@IndeedPete - yes, if that was the case, my project would pretty much be crushed. As would a number of other entries. I don't think BIS would do that to us though! :)

---------- Post added at 17:51 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

@Wiki - cheers, mate! Yes, there's quite a few workarounds - perhaps it wouldn't be such a massive nightmare.

Nah, I'm hoping for some script commands to turn the flight model on / off. But I'd love some improvements regarding the stock AI landing sequences (quick drop, etc.). It would save some unitcapture work I guess.

Based on how the DLC strategy has been described by BI -- specifically, what they meant by "features are free, content is paid" -- it would (should?) be possible for modders to release a helo or other asset and then simply update them when the added functionality (i.e. characters in specially-configured cargo seats being able to fire their personal weapons, adding sling-loading and RotorLib support for helos) is released to dev and then stable branches, and the DLC itself would only be an issue if the modder is intending to use an asset from it (i.e. one of the paid helos).

Hi Kydoimos, you're definitely allowed to use DLC content in your entry. With regards to the Helicopters DLC, I'm afraid we're not yet able to reveal the new helicopters. Also please note that September release date for the Helicopters DLC is a target date, but might still be subject to change. Anyway, I hope that answers your questions for now. Good luck!

and the DLC itself would only be an issue if the modder is intending to use an asset from it (i.e. one of the paid helos).

Hm, but that's exactly my point. I've already used stuff from Karts (which I own). Will it become a problem for players who play my campaign and don't own the DLC? From what I understand it won't be an issue but I might be mistaken here.

If you require the player to get into the Kart then that would be a problem as it is locked to players who don't own Karts. (However you can either have them start in the Kart or use an addAction with moveinDriver on the Kart.) If it's just because the Karts are driving around Altis that wouldn't be a problem at all.

Thanks for that, Korneel - looking forward to the DLC! :)

If you require the player to get into the Kart then that would be a problem as it is locked to players who don't own Karts. (However you can either have them start in the Kart or use an addAction with moveinDriver on the Kart.) If it's just because the Karts are driving around Altis that wouldn't be a problem at all.

Nah, it's just the guy in a shirt from the DLC standing around as ambient civie in one or two situations. So I guess it shouldn't be a problem.^^

Sign in to follow this