Sign in to follow this  
Sixth

[SP] Insurgency generator

Hi! I have been making mission since OFP for private use with friends, but now I have finally managet to get something realy out.:yay:

G9FWo5U.jpg

Introduction

This mission offers player a challenge to engage in guerilla warfare against superior in numbers and unpredictable enemy during each play through of the mission. Mission is generated around a randomly selected town in Altris in the beginning of each play through. Furthermore, each task or submission has its own set of randomly selected parameters related to placement and composition of enemy force.

Mission

In the beginning of the mission the location and strength of enemy forces are unknown. Altris has recently taken over by green aggressor forces by storm. Surviving friendly forces are dispersed and disorganized. Player will get intelligence information on the enemy only after establish contact with outside intelligence service. This requires driving through uncertain terrain. After gaining intelligence, deliver a blow to the enemy by completing three tasks: Conduct sabotage, eliminate a sniper team and clear an area with concentrated enemy forces.

For more information and screenshots please visit Steam workshop pages of the mission:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=244013995

Hi Sixth,

Sounds good.. I wont use steam workshop anymore, nothing but bad experience with it.. any chance of a standalone?

Thanks for that, much appreciated! I will download and try first chance, have to be tomorrow now.

Hi sixth, I've only had a chance for a quick couple of play throughs and I like it :)

Just some random thoughts, so the player is part of the insurgency against occupying force? Then how about the ability to be set as friendly while driving around, as far as AAf know I'm just part of the populace, at least until he gets within a certain radius of the objectives or something.

Also as a side note to that maybe some ambient traffic wouldn't go astray?

Also how about getting intel from a local (civilian) in the room as it maybe it might fit the scenario a bit better?

Anyway it's a nice concept, thanks.. Will play it more when time allows :)

The 'friendly while driving' idea sound nice and simple. I guess it would be so that it would work only untill player has been detected for the first time? I can experiment with that. However, I'm more cautios about the ambient trafic. I'm not sure if AI can be trusted with driving, especially as most enemy infantry are placed over road. I could be possible to generate some civilians near the tasks, but not too many to keep up smooth performance (fps) of the mission?

But anyway, I'm currently focusing on adding reinfocements for the enemy. This would include: mortars, mechanized infantry and a gunship. Better too hard than too easy? :)

I've played it a few more times, friendly while in car would be cool, maybe it could be set again if new car acquired?

Thinking about it maybe it would work better as some type of night stealth mission, I get it's near impossible doing stealth in Arma but with only 2 guys then taking on the troops is a suicide mission, what about something where you need to kill a small percentage and escape so it's more of a harass mission than kill all units.

To be honest I wanna halo in with helligenic"s para units and have a go :P

I have changed the 'kill em all' task so that there is only a very spesific target. I also added an option to 'sleep' at the base so that it's possible to play the mission during night time also. There is still a lot of testing to do... :p

Thank you for the feedback!

Hi.

The mission has been updated:

Update to 1.1 i.e. the REINFORCEMENTS UPDATE! Enemy forces now have support that includes mortar, helicopter and mechanized infantry. Due to this the mission should be more challenging. Tasks have been adjusted i.e. less epic killing is required. Added more resources to base: ability to wait unit nightfall, healing, more weapon choises, although less anti-tank weapons and laser designator no longer available.

I hope you enjoy the changes!

For more information and screenshots please visit Steam workshop pages of the mission:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197960658775/myworkshopfiles/?appid=107410

Mission file is also available from here: https://app.box.com/s/5vtajdg5s911l4njbu8q

Thanks, seems like a nice mission. :)

Question, does it have caching? Or maybe its not that kind of mission where tons of AI is spread out all over.

Will test and report back.

There is no support for caching. The caching is a new thing for me, interesting. The unit count in Insurgency generator is fairly low I think (about <50).

I'm very happy to get feedback from the mission and especially about how you find the new enemy support (mortars, helicopter and mechanized infantry). Is it too effective or ineffective? I was hoping that the new support system would make the the player sweat a bit. Have you encountered problems while playing? New ideas are also welcome!

Love the mission mate, always playing it in my free time, just have a question though - I have edited to my own liking, I am wondering how to change the enemy faction?

Mind telling me how? thank you.

Edited by DarkXess

I'm glad you like it.

First, you may have to change the "resistanceHQ = createCenter resistance;" parameter in the init.sqf file according to your pland faction. Second, you have to change all the class names of generated units types in various script files. Changing the faction can be a tricky thing to do.

I am wanting to add the China - People's Liberation Army Infantry faction to your mission.

I went through a lot of the configs already and you have written a lot in another language - sadly I cant understand that language lol.

Any help at all I would greatly appreciate it. Exactly which configs do I need to edit, lines, etc etc... sorry it may be asking a lot :-/

I can change the mission so that it can easily be convertend to a new faction. Maybe it's the easiest way to go. I'm almost done, just need to find a way to make it more convenient.

I can change the mission so that it can easily be convertend to a new faction. Maybe it's the easiest way to go. I'm almost done, just need to find a way to make it more convenient.

Thanks so much mate. Sent you a PM :)

Yes, that would be nice to have custom factions in the mission. Two versions, one without addon requirements and one with a bunch of good addons, would be great.

After the second playthrough I notice that at the moment, you just vary the places where the tasks are, but the pieces of the puzzle stay the same (i.e. sabotage, sniper, traitors, roadblock, patrol, mortars). I think it would be great if you could put more variance also in that part, e.g. make more possible tasks and enemy groups that not all occur.

And also the "not so epic killing required" in the change log made me a bit sad, more epicness would be welcome^^ Maybe you can add more tasks, a second "wave", i.e. after doing the first 3 tasks you have to get back to the phone and get the next batch of tasks (maybe simulate a night, where the wrecks and bodies could be cleared for performance reasons but at least the weapons collected in the base crate and the own car remain for the next "day").

Btw, small bug: the tasks are already visible on the task list (not on the map) before you are at the phone. Not gamebreaking though.

Nice mission indeed and agree with Brainbug and Dark.

Need more missions and the task objectives a bit more spaced.

I usually end up running through a town that is an objective to get to the SatPhone for my objectives.

Should be an easy run to the satphone, get objectives, then do objectives.........hopefully more than 3 of the same ones that repeat over and over.

Variety is the key here.

Need more missions and the task objectives a bit more spaced.
yes, I want to add here that on my second playthrough the sniper and the sabotage objects were in basically the same spot, i.e. the sniper guys and the patrol near the sabotage thing ran basically through each other. A scripted minimum distance between objectives (and also the roadbloack etc.) would be a good thing I'd say.

Thank you for the feedback!

I will consider all the suggestions.

While I have had recently less time for mission development, steady progress has been made. I have mainly tried to address the way the tasks are placed on the map to increase variaty between play troughs and to add new tasks.

Could you just use TPW_mods with this mission to generate the ambient civilians etc that TPW does?? Also the skirmish aspect of TPW would add an additional element of difficulty to the mission? Just a thought..

Hello,

I just updated the Insurgency generator to 1.2! The highlights are:

Tasks:

* Targets in the assassination mission are changed to CSAT military advisors. The CSAT military advisors can flee to buildings when attacked

* Mission includes three new road checkpoints. One of the three checkpoints also includes captured friendlies that can be freed in a new task.

* New task: Shoot down a helicopter/UAE

* Generated missions should now be more random. However, missions generated around small towns in remote areas will still show less variaty.

* In the get intel task, the satellite phone is replaced with a friendly resistance fighter that can be added to your squad. The task is also now always located close to town held by the enemy.

Enemy support:

* Enemy helicopter/UAE support is now infinate, i.e. aircrafts shot down will be replaced with new ones. Please give feedback on this.

* Enemy mortars should now be slighly more trigger happy

Mission start/base:

* It now possible to increase mission difficulty by showing disrespect to the generator in the desert at mission start (by shooting). However, excess shooting will be further punished.

* Squad members are no more present in the desert.

* The location of enemy held town is now shown in the map once mission has been generated.

* The function to take a nap has been moved from the stool to the painkiller box

Download from below:

https://app.box.com/s/p6o9svjozmg0x94ee1sx

@Sixth

Been playing this mission since it first came out, very cool...

I had an idea... I am terrible at scripting and you clearly are very good... Thus here's an idea for a completely new mission... When you have time and maybe need something to build...

Altis...

You start with a static (location never changes) Special Forces Patrol Base (FOB)... Built up and good all around defences... (ALTIS GRID 099 193, North of Galati)

On this camp you have access to Arsenal via a large pallet.

You can advance time via sleeping, in a bedroll that would be placed in one of the small barracks like in HUNTER SIX.

While on this camp you can go to the INT Officer and he will give you a randomly placed and generated Search and Rescue (SAR) Operation, or a Search and Destroy (SAD) Operation...

SAR = Randomly placed, random number of hostages, with random enemies holding them, anywhere on the map in and around a building.

SAD = Randomly placed, either insurgent supply convoy that has broken down, or random insurgent cell leader that can be taken out by a Sniper pair, Laser guided bomb, or Snatch Operation. These Operations can be, in the case of the convoy, random vehicles from 2-6 transport, possibly with random troop transports making up it's numbers. These can occur on any road on Altis. As for the insurgent cell leader, this could kick off with a VBED in a town, and after you arrive on scene of the attack, a local tells you were the leader is, then you hit a randomly placed group of insurgents and kill the leader with either a long range shot, laser guided bomb, or snatch operation... If you arrest him via a snatch operation he will tell you of a large training area where you can find 20-30 enemy.

After you accept an operation, a briefing with a picture of the targets will be added and an area marked, then you will be given a random number of laser guided bombs on standby via a flight of CAS aircraft, this could be from 0-4, 2000 pound bombs.

You are with the UK SF or CTRG. and you are helping the AAF.

You have Heli support in both CAS and Transport, all vanilla assets, for maximum compatibility...

This would give us infinite replay and still keep in line with your original mission too...

I have tried this myself and failed since the Alpha was released... My eyes go square trying to sort out the scripts and thus have not sorted this out on my own...

Even if anyone else could help me with the scripts if Sixth is doing better things, that would be outstanding...

But, again... Love the mission... Thanks for the effort...