Sign in to follow this  
BoFFin

Mine kills childern

I came across this newspaper article:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Second World War mine kills five boys in Russia

14 Sept 2002 Reuters News Agency

Moscow — The explosion of a World War Two mine at the site of the Stalingrad battle killed five boys who apparently tried to dismantle it, Russian police said on Saturday.

A police spokesman in Volgograd said the five boys — aged six to nine — went to play in a ravine on the outskirts of the city on Thursday and never returned.

Parents heard the thump of an explosion but did not pay attention, he said. They sounded the alarm late in the evening as the boys, three of whom were brothers, had failed to come home. A search party on Friday found the five bodies scattered around a crater with bits of a Second World War mine strewn nearby, the spokesman said.

Several million troops and civilians died in and around Volgograd, formerly Stalingrad, in the bloodiest battle in world history, which played out during seven months of 1942-43 between Soviet forces and Hitler's armies.

Sixty years on, the area remains littered with rusty weapons and ammunition, attracting both curious children and professional trophy seekers.

<span id='postcolor'>

They still dig WW2 mines or bombs up in France and Germany, and they are still good to go.

But, you would think after sixty years, that parents would warn their childern not to play with anything that even looks like a mine.

Tragic.

unfortunately, not many ppl know what a mine looks like when they see one. and many touch it off accidently...so it's not surprising.... sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 15 2002,10:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">unfortunately, not many ppl know what a mine looks like when they see one.<span id='postcolor'>

Mine identification tutorial. Just click on the pics. smile.gif

Theres something like 30million+ undetenated landmines in the world, mostly in Afghanistan with about 10million, and Cambodia. Landmines are used a lot in conflicts in 3rd world countries so you get alot in Africa etc. Since they tend to be used by rebel militia and unorginised armies, minefields dont tend to marked on maps and charts, so even when the war is over, it takes an innocent live to detonate a mine before it is known a minefield is there.

Also, many mines are strewn throughout farms etc, so many farmers can not return to work after the war becuase they cannot work the land without been blown up and valuable produce is lost becuase the mines cannot be disarmed.

Very Tragic.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 15 2002,09:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">unfortunately, not many ppl know what a mine looks like when they see one. and many touch it off accidently...so it's not surprising....  sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

when did you become a mod?!

After bribing all the other mods into letting him join their clan;), but be careful, he's looking for a victim for his first ban, so dont spam a thread like this, or BAM! tounge.gif  Was that a landmine or Ralph?

It is indeed tragic with landmines, and not enough is been done to stop their production. British companies are not allowed to make them as far as I know, but they still do anyway.

We get quite a lot of unexploded bombs and mines and grenades from WW2 in England, in fact only a couple of weeks ago a large grenade cache was found and exploded in a town not far from me. Though as far as i know, no one has been hurt for a while

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Theres something like 30million+ undetenated landmines in the world, mostly in Afghanistan with about 10million, and Cambodia. <span id='postcolor'>

Don't forget the former Yugoslavia, that's probably the most heavily mined area in Europe. At the current rate of de-mining, it will take several hundred years just to clear them all. The problem is, when people layed mines they didn't bother to mark them on a map, so it could be anyones guess as to where they are.

Tyler

Avon! I almost blew myself up going to your website! wow.giftounge.gif

It really is sad though that people die like this.

In Ieper (little town in Belgium, you should know it if you like WWI, the first mustard gas was used here) bombs are found all the time by farmers, ppl that work in there garden,...

Basically nobody's surprised when they find a bomb, they just put them on the street corner and once in a while the guys from the bomb squad (right word?) come and get all the mines.

We found 2 10 liter buckets full of ammo inside the roof of a little house that was in our garden when we bought the ground we live on...

If you want some bombs, just go to Ieper, stay there for a while, meet the locals and you'll have bombs in no time biggrin.gif

heheheh .... hyperite .......... trenches .. heavy artillery fire ...... the good times .... J/k

the ww1 battlefields were/are really dangerous

the 85 years old explosives can touch off really easily , a rock in contact with the explosives or the detonating fuze + the movements of the ground = boom

there were several case in the north of france where some explosives touched off after strong rain in the night , the peasnt finding a big hole in his field the following day

ANY contact with the explosive can be dangerous , an explosive is basically a chemical wich can with the time and its environnement become poisonous , not even talking about the Hyperite shells that still contain mustard gas (their killing power is lightly increased because of the presency of some specific mineral and chemical elements in the ground of north/eastern france)

the explosive's container (the shell) can be so much rusted that it become impossible to move the bomb without breaking it ....

not so long ago , we found a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggeeeee load of unexploded german artillery shells from the ww1

they've all been put in a special security perimeter (i think it was 800 meters or so ... cuz of the hyperite and other unknown chemical weapons) composed of various trenches and holes

there were like several tenths of tons of various explosives kinds , they've all been de-fuzed and destroyed when it was possible

the ww1 explosives have been the cause of several hundreds of deaths of peasant until the 40's , they triggered explosives while cultivating their field etc etc ........

we also often find unexploded ww2 bombs , remaining from bombing runs above strategical targets such as train stations and various factories , the main problem with these raids is that there were residential (and waste areas that have been built on later) , in many cases where ww2 bombs were discovered , it was when foundations for new buildings or cave extensions have been build , ww2 bombs are not much easier to defuze , generally in urban areas , moving an explosive around is not a good thing , that's why we often defuze them on the place we found them with a big security perimeter around (though it's hard to move the people who live around) , those explosives are younger than the ww1 ones , but they are often in more difficult places and situations , and on a side note : the ww2 explosives (aircraft bombs) are way more destroying than ww1 artillery shell (exception of the chemical ammos) , and they sometimes have complicated detonating systems (altitude starter for retarding fuze , etc etc ......)

the land mine are another problem , mostly undetectbale with your own eyes , not marked on maps ...... i really hate those things , but most of the time they are easy to neutralize , you often only need a knife

and , a fun story a friend of mine told me : once in india , near the kashmir fronteer , and elephant passed on an antintank mine field , he triggered a mine , the elephant flew on the other side of the fronteer and crushed a pakistanese fronteer guard post (i'm sure it's a pure bullshit soldier story , but could be fun to see if it would happen , and i sincerly doubt an elephant can trigger an A/T mine , most of the antitank mines touch off if something bigger than 15 tons pass on it , and i think an elephant is only 6 or 8 or something like that)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Sep. 15 2002,21:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">heheheh .... hyperite .......... trenches .. heavy artillery fire ...... the good times .... J/k

the ww1 battlefields were/are really dangerous

the 85 years old explosives can touch off really easily , a rock in contact with the explosives or the detonating fuze + the movements of the ground = boom

there were several case in the north of france where some explosives touched off after strong rain in the night , the peasnt finding a big hole in his field the following day

ANY contact with the explosive can be dangerous , an explosive is basically a chemical wich can with the time and its environnement become poisonous , not even talking about the Hyperite shells that still contain mustard gas (their killing power is lightly increased because of the presency of some specific mineral and chemical elements in the ground of north/eastern france)

the explosive's container (the shell) can be so much rusted that it become impossible to move the bomb without breaking it ....

not so long ago , we found a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggeeeee load of unexploded german artillery shells from the ww1

they've all been put in a special security perimeter (i think it was 800 meters or so ... cuz of the hyperite and other unknown chemical weapons) composed of various trenches and holes

there were like several tenths of tons of various explosives kinds , they've all been de-fuzed and destroyed when it was possible

the ww1 explosives have been the cause of several hundreds of deaths of peasant until the 40's , they triggered explosives while cultivating their field etc etc ........

we also often find unexploded ww2 bombs , remaining from bombing runs above strategical targets such as train stations and various factories , the main problem with these raids is that there were residential (and waste areas that have been built on later) , in many cases where ww2 bombs were discovered , it was when foundations for new buildings or cave extensions have been build , ww2 bombs are not much easier to defuze , generally in urban areas , moving an explosive around is not a good thing , that's why we often defuze them on the place we found them with a big security perimeter around (though it's hard to move the people who live around) , those explosives are younger than the ww1 ones , but they are often in more difficult places and situations , and on a side note : the ww2 explosives (aircraft bombs) are way more destroying than ww1 artillery shell (exception of the chemical ammos) , and they sometimes have complicated detonating systems (altitude starter for retarding fuze , etc etc ......)

the land mine are another problem , mostly undetectbale with your own eyes , not marked on maps ...... i really hate those things , but most of the time they are easy to neutralize , you often only need a knife

and , a fun story a friend of mine told me : once in india , near the kashmir fronteer , and elephant passed on an antintank mine field , he triggered a mine , the elephant flew on the other side of the fronteer and crushed a pakistanese fronteer guard post (i'm sure it's a pure bullshit soldier story , but could be fun to see if it would happen , and i sincerly doubt an elephant can trigger an A/T mine , most of the antitank mines touch off if something bigger than 15 tons pass on it , and i think an elephant is only 6 or 8 or something like that)<span id='postcolor'>

LOL its like a jeep hitting an satchel in OFP and flying 400 ft and landing on you. Instantly killing you after you accomplished your 4 hour mission!

Man, I am so glad I live in a country where I dont have to worry about digging up an 85 year old gas shell, or a 55 year old 500 pound bomb!

As much as a minefield can be a good thing when protecting the approaches to a base... it's a bad thing when you leave and dont take your mines with you. Then months and years down the road, people are being maimed and killed. Even in Flashpoint I've had a blonde moment and driven a BMP or tank over a mine that I have previously laid and killed myself. Amd unlike Flashpoint, Real Life doesnt have a load previous game feature.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Sep. 15 2002,23:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Even in Flashpoint I've had a blonde moment and driven a BMP or tank over a mine that I have previously laid and killed myself.  Amd unlike Flashpoint, Real Life™ doesnt have a load previous game feature.<span id='postcolor'>

let me guess...placebo planted it. biggrin.giftounge.gif

2 things.

1st their parents hear an explosion but don't pay attention to it? Is there that much violence in russia.

2nd in the western US there are a few bombs from Japanese ballons sent during WW2. Also outside of Goldsboro, North Carolina there is a nuke that fell out of a B-52 in 1961 that landed in a waterlogged section of farmland. The escavated but didn't find any of it. The government requires people to obtain permission before they dig there.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 16 2002,01:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Sep. 15 2002,23:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Even in Flashpoint I've had a blonde moment and driven a BMP or tank over a mine that I have previously laid and killed myself.  Amd unlike Flashpoint, Real Life™ doesnt have a load previous game feature.<span id='postcolor'>

let me guess...placebo planted it. biggrin.gif  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Nah...I've never played Flashpoint with Placebo. wink.gif

This is in SP and I've planted said mines myself.

Yes...I know that suggests a certain lack of skill wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ Sep. 15 2002,20:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2 things.

1st their parents hear an explosion but don't pay attention to it? Is there that much violence in russia.

2nd in the western US there are a few bombs from Japanese ballons sent during WW2. Also outside of Goldsboro, North Carolina there is a nuke that fell out of a B-52 in 1961 that landed in a waterlogged section of farmland. The escavated but didn't find any of it. The government requires people to obtain permission before they dig there.<span id='postcolor'>

1st, they heard a thump, so the distance must have been sufficient to ignore it (not be able to identify)... if they knew it was an explosion they would probably run up there faster than a fat US family! smile.gif

2nd that nuke can't possibly explode now, and if there is no radiation detected... no problem

Thats sad about the kids. Here in the states we still find civil war ammo. A good friend of mine found 2 partly hollow canon balls. Lucky for him they didn't have powder in them, or I might have one less friend smile.gif

And in St. Louis they still uncover civil war/ WW1/WW2 ordnance and call the bomb squad on a regular basis ,due to all the factories that made or stored them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Sep. 16 2002,05:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">if they knew it was an explosion they would probably run up there faster than a fat US family!  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

What the fuck does that have to do with anything?

He was just trying to come up with a catch phrase, and since America does have a large fast food culture, he found 'fat Americans' suitable, but we are going off target.

BACK ON TOPIC OR YOULL BE BANNED FOR 48 HOURS!

HOAH!

In Australia they also have a high Unexploded Ordanince problem. In WW2 many American soldiers trained in Australia and there is much left over ordanance from them along with Australias own polution.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Sep. 16 2002,09:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No, I think he was just insulting Americans for the sake of it.<span id='postcolor'>

yea i kinda find it insulting too as i am a tad overweight myself mad.gif

I will get back to topic.

Mines from WWII are rare, but where I was born you could still find grenades and heavy bombs in forests and cities. Even nowadays they now and then block districts to to get rid of bombs they found.

The following story you will probably not believe me but when I was 7 we often used to make fire in the forrest behind our house. (no, not so dangerous here as you think). My older brothers sent me out to find stuff to throw into it. I returned with an old WWII grenade! biggrin.gif

Besides that, I still know where exactly to dig in our forest to find helmets and machinegun belts and stuff like that from WWII. Also, the forrest is still ful of bunkers and old fundaments of FLAKS (AA) and PAKS (AT)!