olds

Real Armor Mod

That's a good point. In 2035, all shoulder-fired AT weapons would be top-attack (or variable top/side attack, even). I'd be shocked to learn that 120mm shaped charge warheads can still be significantly improved, so the medium-caliber direct attack munition should be long obsolete.

This is used by us following way - wheeled vehicles use HitFuel as means of internal damage, while tracked use HitHull for the same purpose.

Wait, I'm confused... I know a tank will explode when the HitHull location is depleted. But is that simply because:

A) its passThrough=1

or

B) there something hardcoded specifically into HitHull and HitFuel that says 'when this location is destroyed, destroy the vehicle'

?

---------- Post added at 18:24 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

Alpha 0.0.3 released

• Slammer fixed, all tanks consistent now
  • configs cleaned up to play better with other mods
  • Starting in on explosives & missile penetration values, PCML & RPG-42 done.
  • PCML is not top-attack unless you download a mod for this, so it's pretty useless against tank front armor (its EFP is not strong enough for direct attack mode vs MBT's).

Shouldn't the Titan AT have top attack feature, instead of the PCML? The Titan is the 2035 version of the FGM-148, more or less...

I would have thought the Titan would too, though I thought it was the Rafael Mini-Spike rather than Javelin; the PCML is essentially the NLAW, however, which (according to press releases etc) also does have overflight attack mode. I'm no military equipment expert or nothing, mind, just a casual reader, so perhaps I missed something.

Thanks for the heads-up Jackson. I checked it out and from what I can see, new TMR stuff inherits from existing ammo configs. As I am changing those base configs, he should inherit the tweaked penetration values at least. (Based on my still rudimentary understanding). Maybe not perfect but pretty good.

That's good to hear; we love the TMR mod - even if we perhaps don't use the PCML all that much, it's a nice feature. Looking forward to introducing my friends to your mod; one of my friends loves tank fighting.

I would have thought the Titan would too, though I thought it was the Rafael Mini-Spike rather than Javelin; the PCML is essentially the NLAW, however, which (according to press releases etc) also does have overflight attack mode. I'm no military equipment expert or nothing, mind, just a casual reader, so perhaps I missed something.

That's good to hear; we love the TMR mod - even if we perhaps don't use the PCML all that much, it's a nice feature. Looking forward to introducing my friends to your mod; one of my friends loves tank fighting.

I admit my mistake.. I compared the ArmA weapons to the USA counterpart (see Javelin), so for me the Titan AT was the Javelin, the Titan AA the Stinger and the PCML would've been an M136 (AT4) or a SMAW.

Looking from another point of view, the reality, you are 100% correct, therefore the Titan AT should have both Electro-optical and IR guidance (dir and top), while the PCML would have the PLOS and Top attack only guidance, right?

Even TMR doesn't really make the PCML top-attack. It always ends up hitting the vehicle directly. It's necessary to artificially up the damage in order to compensate.

I admit my mistake.. I compared the ArmA weapons to the USA counterpart (see Javelin), so for me the Titan AT was the Javelin, the Titan AA the Stinger and the PCML would've been an M136 (AT4) or a SMAW.

Looking from another point of view, the reality, you are 100% correct, therefore the Titan AT should have both Electro-optical and IR guidance (dir and top), while the PCML would have the PLOS and Top attack only guidance, right?

Oh yeah like I said I'm no expert - I assumed for a long time the Titan was the future Javelin too, especially because of the similar CLU and the launch profile.

From what I can see, the PCML equals the NLAW, which is based at least in part on the AT4 (according to press videos about the NLAW it claims to be taking parts from the AT4 and parts from some other weapon). The TMR mod does model the top attack and PLOS modes, but the basic Arma 3 doesn't.

Even TMR doesn't really make the PCML top-attack. It always ends up hitting the vehicle directly. It's necessary to artificially up the damage in order to compensate.

Yes this doesn't appear to work 100% of the time. I often end with the rocket flying straight, but perhaps 25% of the time it does overfly for me; I can clearly see it fly above the turret and explode downwards. I'm unsure why it wouldn't work the entire time, though, and haven't been able to spot any pattern in when it decides to overfly.

Although I feel we may be digressing from the topic of this thread slightly... I see there is a new version released; I look forward to testing it when I have some time.

Wait, I'm confused... I know a tank will explode when the HitHull location is depleted. But is that simply because:

A) its passThrough=1

or

B) there something hardcoded specifically into HitHull and HitFuel that says 'when this location is destroyed, destroy the vehicle'

?

Answer B is most correct.

When firing RGP at tanks it just passes straight though the model, when I disabled the mod I was able to hit the tank.

Can someone else test to confirm its not just me?

When firing RGP at tanks it just passes straight though the model, when I disabled the mod I was able to hit the tank.

Can someone else test to confirm its not just me?

This happened for me in my very brief testing, but I am using TMR and a couple of other mods. Are you, in particular TMR like Liberty4508 below?

I want to test with them disabled - everything disabled except Real Armour - and see if it still happens, but not had time yet.

This happened for me in my very brief testing, but I am using TMR and a couple of other mods. Are you, in particular TMR like Liberty4508 below?

I want to test with them disabled - everything disabled except Real Armour - and see if it still happens, but not had time yet.

I can confirm that the RPG does infact go through the slammer and the other tanks in game.Im not using TMR.

Other than that olds, great to see i can destroy the slammer again ;)

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

OH for the love of - the RPG's were working last night. I think I know what the problem is tho. :icon_ohmygod:

Bakerman rightly chastised me for leaving in extra weapons values I don't use (yet) :). So I'll trim those out too - I was just making my life easier for testing, but it causes trouble for other mods so I need to trim more aggressively.

Edited by Olds

Thank you for this effort. Hit point damage kills games for me, and I realize the online versions I play most will probably not use this (right away) but it gives me hope.

OK, should have a fix for the psionic RPG's shortly. What did they call it in D&D when you could walk through things? Oh yeah, "ethereal".

I need to reboot and test it a few times so I don't get whatever happened with the last update again! :o

OK, should have a fix for the psionic RPG's shortly. What did they call it in D&D when you could walk through things? Oh yeah, "ethereal".

I need to reboot and test it a few times so I don't get whatever happened with the last update again! :o

Talking about psionics and Ethereals reminds me of a certain classic game, heheh...

Looking forward to the update.

Sorry if this was asked already as I did not take time to read the whole thread... Is this fully Mp dedicated compatible? If so, does the server and client need it? Also I freaking love that you are doing this and I hope BIS implements it in game as well. Also I read your small comment about there being a NATO vs Warsaw mod.... AWESOME. Please keep us all posted on that. Cheers!!!

Sorry if this was asked already as I did not take time to read the whole thread

Why not? Seriously, these forums are becoming the playground of the lazy.

RPG-42 rocket - flies through the tanks! Need to fix)

Yeah, I figured this one out. Word to the wise: what was causing the 'ghost-rockets' was the absence of an "explosive" property in AmmoConfig. I'd call this a "bug" but I'm stretching the config files past what they were intended to do, so I don't really think that's fair to BIS. It doesn't need "fixing" because preventing the problem is easy, make sure you have an "explosive" value. Will post update shortly. Let's hope I didn't break anything else.... well, thanks for alpha testing everybody!:outtahere:

Is this fully Mp dedicated compatible? If so, does the server and client need it?

I'm too new to the process to answer this in proper detail. Considering its tweaked config files, I suspect server and client need it and you'd be good to go (that's the only scenario I've tested so far). I don't have a multiplayer key from BIS yet though (and I don't think I'll bother with that until I'm at least out of the alpha stage). So Battleye or whatever will barf on you if you try to play with it on someone else's server.:)

Edited by Olds

Hi Olds,

Thank you very much for this. A decent armor penetration mechanic is sorely needed in Arma 3 and this appears to be some good progress.

How much compatibility do you expect this mod will have with mods which add new AT weapons? Are you mainly editing the configs of the AT weapons, the tanks, or a good deal of both?

If compatibility is going to be an issue, would you consider adding some additional files to make similar adjustments to AT weapons from popular modpacks or do some outreach to other modders on how they can make their weapons compatible with your work?

Alpha 0.0.35 bugfix release (go to the first post as usual to download)

This is just a fix for the PCML/RPG flying through vehicles without impacting. [As I mentioned previously, the problem appears to occur when you add caliber to a weapon which has no "explosive" value defined (neither the child nor the parent level). As neither MissileBase nor RocketBase define these values, it was affecting both the PCML & the RPG.]

-----

You are very welcome Shadow_MSOG

How much compatibility do you expect this mod will have with mods which add new AT weapons? Are you mainly editing the configs of the AT weapons, the tanks, or a good deal of both?

a) Essentially none - new AT weapons will ignore armor values like the old unmodified ones did. b) Both are necessary (for AT weapons--regular projectiles will work but will likely be overpowered at high calibers due to the tendency to assign very high "hit" values).
If compatibility is going to be an issue, would you consider adding some additional files to make similar adjustments to AT weapons from popular modpacks or do some outreach to other modders on how they can make their weapons compatible with your work?

Yes! My plan is to thoroughly document the process so anyone can mod their own work--but I need to make it out of alpha, there's too much fixing to do before I feel comfortable with that. In the meanwhile, I recommend you tell your favorite modder to PM me and I will happily coordinate with them if I can. I don't really have the time (or knowledge) to track down the mods out there so I appreciate the help. Sound reasonable?

Great stuff here mate, many thanks for the effort.

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!