Sign in to follow this  
pawelkpl

How to make Bridges Indestructible ?

If bridge is destroyed, AI can't pass it and stucks in river or ditch. So, is any chance to make Bridges Indestructible ? I found in BI spotrep#16: â—¾Fixed: Bridges with descruct="no" will be properly indestructible now

but, how ?

regards,pawel

You could assign a variable to the bridge using the ID system. Place a gamelogic on map, turn on the ID system (somewhere at the top), then write this in the init of the gamelogic:

bridge = (getpos this) nearestObject ID;

Replace "ID" with the ID of the bridge. This way you'll assign the bridges ID to the variable "bridge", essentially allowing you to use that object with commands like allowDamage.

You could assign a variable to the bridge using the ID system. Place a gamelogic on map, turn on the ID system (somewhere at the top), then write this in the init of the gamelogic:

bridge = (getpos this) nearestObject ID;

Replace "ID" with the ID of the bridge. This way you'll assign the bridges ID to the variable "bridge", essentially allowing you to use that object with commands like allowDamage.

Thanks for advise but it didnt seem to work

It should work if you put it all into the same game logic. Like tryteyker said, create the gamelogic and then place it right next to, or even on top of the bridge ID # (click on the ID button in the editor up top.) Then in the game logic init field put:

bridge = nearestBuilding this;bridge allowdamage false;

That should do it. You can copy / paste that for other bridges, just make sure you change 'bridge' to bridge2, bridge3, etc., for each new one. You can use the exact same setup to say pre-damage buildings/objects by swapping out 'bridge allowdamage false;' to 'bridge setdamage ##;'

It should work if you put it all into the same game logic. Like tryteyker said, create the gamelogic and then place it right next to, or even on top of the bridge ID # (click on the ID button in the editor up top.) Then in the game logic init field put:

That should do it. You can copy / paste that for other bridges, just make sure you change 'bridge' to bridge2, bridge3, etc., for each new one. You can use the exact same setup to say pre-damage buildings/objects by swapping out 'bridge allowdamage false;' to 'bridge setdamage ##;'

Thats exactly what I did but 2 explosive charges still destroyed the bridge, I think there maybe something more to this.

We have a dedi server and a persistant mission running on it. There are 6 circular vehicle patrols 4 of which cross the small bridges that span ditches. I was testing the mission over a couple of days with NO enemy at all to check the patrols were moving correctly. After a day the bridges dissapeared and the vehicles were stuck in the ditches.

I have tested this several times now and the result is the same the bridges dissapear after a while and the vehicles get stuck. If there had been any firefights etc then I would have assumed they had been destroyed but over two days not a shot was fired. This is a game breaker as mission designers cant rely on vehicles NOT getting stuck. Come on BI ai and vehicles have never worked well in arma would be much better if the ditches under the bridges were filled in to avoid this. Or at least make it that a tank can drive out of a small ditch.

Some bridges can be destroyed by driving a tank into the sides. I did it by mistake when tanks were added.

Maybe it would be better to destroy the original bridge and respawn one that is indestructible to any kind of damage in the same position....

Thats exactly what I did but 2 explosive charges still destroyed the bridge, I think there maybe something more to this.

Hmm, that's strange, maybe something is a bit off. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the bridge has more than one part to it and the nearestbuilding is only grabbing one of them. I have seen that if you place 2 charges on the bridge deck, it'll usually take a bridge down, but it takes a _lot_ more to blow out the pylons from underneath.

Maybe something else is going on though in your case. I've not seen bridges drop on their own, but I've not run anything 24x7 either.

I've seen it where a destroyed ammo box has destroyed a bridge yet the AI standing 1 meter away were unharmed. It seems there are soft spots around the edges of the bridge where it doesn't take much to damage it.

I don't think you can protect it anymore than you can destroy it using setdamage.

You also can't spawn them.

A little further testing and I am now convinced the small bridges are somehow either getting destroyed or dissapearing on our dedi.

The vehicle patrols are in careless mode, limited speed, there is no enemy on map so they are not getting panicked and driving erratically which migh result in them crashing into a bridge and knocking it down.

If I sit and watch the vehicle it will cross the bridge just fine - come back to the server a day later and several of the vehicles will be stuck in ditches with the wheels/tracks going round but unable to drive out.

Does this thing happen when the server is locked an no one else joined? ;)

Does this thing happen when the server is locked an no one else joined? ;)

Yep - it is a private Dedi server that is locked and passworded that I know for a fact has had no one in it

You also can't spawn them.

Maybe someone can get hold of _Tonic and see what he did in what looks like his Life mission.

http://www.iamtonic.co/22102013/arma-3-bridge-simulater-2035/ - it looks like he has spawned something in.

The URL on that page is not a link, just copy and paste to addy bar and there are a few pics there.

Example of the dissapearing bridges - either a slow moving tank is knocking the bridge down, or the bridge just vanishes leaving the vehicle stuck. Whatever the cause it needs sorting out

2014_01_11_00002.jpg"]2014_01_11_00002.jpg[/url]

We have a dedi server and a persistant mission running on it. There are 6 circular vehicle patrols 4 of which cross the small bridges that span ditches. I was testing the mission over a couple of days with NO enemy at all to check the patrols were moving correctly. After a day the bridges dissapeared and the vehicles were stuck in the ditches.

I have tested this several times now and the result is the same the bridges dissapear after a while and the vehicles get stuck. If there had been any firefights etc then I would have assumed they had been destroyed but over two days not a shot was fired. This is a game breaker as mission designers cant rely on vehicles NOT getting stuck. Come on BI ai and vehicles have never worked well in arma would be much better if the ditches under the bridges were filled in to avoid this. Or at least make it that a tank can drive out of a small ditch.

Maybe something like this?

_bridge = nearestbuilding this;
_bridge addeventhandler ["HandleDamage",{false}];

tried all the above and still no luck - 2 satchels will bring the bridge down - Thanks for help but I guess we gotta keep looking..

Doodle, which bridge is it? I will pitch in with the rest and try to help.

Its the larger bridge of the three in Kavala (west coast town) that cross the storm drain ditch that I am concentrating on ID#1051482 & ID#1504450. BUT it seems many of the small bridges are either dissapearing or getting knocked down by vehicles and then the vehicle gets stuck in the ditch. real game breaker! ARMA Ai has never been good with bridges would be better to remove them completely in my opinionto to avoid this issue.

Thnaks for your help in advance

I've tested all bridges in Kavala with constant 155mm shelling for about 2 minutes, to make it overkill. It was an SP environment but nothing happened to either bridges. I also tried to drive over the edge with a Panther, aswell as blowing things up with just 2 Satchels. Also repeated these steps in a local MP environment, nothing happened. You mentioned that this only happened after you reconnect to the dedi server after a day or so?

Not sure if it was purely on reconnect to the dedi as I havent sat and waited to see what happens when the mission first loads and I initially connect. Currently the mission is running on our dedi and has been for 5 days so dont want to stop it at the moment. That said I have just tested from the editor with me as a blufor Engineer (with two satchels) - preview from editor and I can destroy the bridge with two satchels so now things are getting stranger if you cant destroy them- did you have any game logics on the map setting the bridge as "allowDamage false"? - Are you using the Dev build? - I am not using the dev build

OK just tested again by driving a slammer into the bridge and i can knock the bridge down......confused now

Using latest devbuild but no gamelogics. I havent seen any config changes to bridges in the latest builds though. Ill give it a test with main build when I get home.

Still looking at this issue.

Just tested again from editor preview and I can definatley destroy the bridges in Kavala with explosives - The bridge in the centre of town I can destroy by driving a tank into it - the other two dont seem to be knocked down by driving into them - I fired multiple rounds from a slammer into a bridge and it didnt destroy it yet 1 satchel charge did

I'm giving it a test right now after I've dled the main build. I'll edit once I'm done.

EDIT

Legitimately weird. In main build 1.08 I'm able to bombard the whole bridge with 3 155mm shells for eternity and NOTHING happens. Placing one satchel in the middle blows the thing to bits. Dev build 114301 allows for both things to happen without consequences. To me it strongly looks like a bug, although I'm not sure. Bridges don't have a type (typeof returns nothing), so I can't really check differences in config. But I am assuming that the devs changed something, because nothing happens to the bridges in the latest dev build.

Edited by tryteyker

Thanks for checking good to know I was not going nuts. Lets hope the next update fixes this issue.

Though I do forsee another problem that when the bridge was destroyed the tank was unable to drive out - cue ditches full of stuck IA vehicles