Sign in to follow this  
dissaifer

What culling techniques are used in Arma 3?

from the back of my head, by i might be wrong: it is view area culling (notice the shadow's jumps) and occlusion culling (the later i cannot confirm, but should be in ~ read it as in "i certably fucking hope so). Easiest thing would be to have access to viewing draw calls.

I never tested it, but should be able to reproduce by sticking a lot of geometry behind some opaque visual model.

i think when it comes to occlusion the view geo lod is what makes stuff disappear. this can be observed when hiding behind models with shitty view geo lods :p

I would hope they were doing those as well, but I am not a 100% sure they are, which is why I was asking.

Also, I came across this BF3 culling slide show which had an interesting take on frustum culling where they claim to have reduced the matrix calculation from 4 dot products to 3. Here is the link http://dice.se/wp-content/uploads/CullingTheBattlefield.pdf

Generally speaking, in games with large amounts of objects (such as ArmA and Crysis 1) it is more efficient to just draw everything in the view frustum than to calculate culling from each object. Culling takes a lot of CPU time with high object counts. For example Crysis 1 only does frustum culling as far as I know, but you can place special cube meshes that acts as occluders.

from the back of my head, by i might be wrong: it is view area culling (notice the shadow's jumps) and occlusion culling (the later i cannot confirm, but should be in ~ read it as in "i certably fucking hope so). Easiest thing would be to have access to viewing draw calls.

I never tested it, but should be able to reproduce by sticking a lot of geometry behind some opaque visual model.

This can get your DrawCalls and more; http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/graphics-development/gpu-perfstudio-2/