brians200

Randomly generated roadside IEDs

I have been working on the smoke a little bit and wanted to know your opinions.

In my opion the second one is better.^^

I like how the second smoke seems to be more chaotic in appearance and has a better size ratio between horizontal and vertical. The first one looks ok but seems more vertical, like a geyser of smoke, or as if the IED had detonated in the bottom of a deep hole in the ground.

it dont work, i dont know where is failure. Im not good scripter.

I think someone better than me can help you with that. It is essential to use for bomb squad deactivate IED mission.

Many thanks

It returns true or false for me, are you using the correction section name?

(before disarming)

http://i.imgur.com/N5lWz2V.jpg

(after disarming)

http://i.imgur.com/1VkuBfo.jpg

I think both smokes look good, the first is simple but fades a little quickly ?

The second looks a little more powerful ?

Can we have both (randomised ? ) :)

In my opion the second one is better.^^
I like how the second smoke seems to be more chaotic in appearance and has a better size ratio between horizontal and vertical. The first one looks ok but seems more vertical, like a geyser of smoke, or as if the IED had detonated in the bottom of a deep hole in the ground.

I plan to have a different type of smoke effect for the different types of IEDs, so it was not a which one is better question. Just looking for feedback on how to improve each one.

The inspiration for the small IED was from this clip. It is definitely vertical.

http://youtu.be/nS0BQxptkhg?t=10m28s

I plan to have a different type of smoke effect for the different types of IEDs, so it was not a which one is better question. Just looking for feedback on how to improve each one.

The inspiration for the small IED was from this clip. It is definitely vertical.

http://youtu.be/nS0BQxptkhg?t=10m28s

And even in that video example what I said remains true. The force of the explosion is in part directed by the physical constraints around it. Ground is harder than air so the force of the blast moves up, more or less. If you bury a charge in the ground, like in that video clip, you get a form of directed blast, the deeper the hole the more directed (straight up) it will be. i.e. the shape of the dust/smoke/blast cone isn't so much reliant on the size of the explosive as it is on what is found around it when it detonates. Of course that is relative to the size of the charge. If you bury a small charge one foot in the ground it will be directed much more than a charge 10x it's size at the same depth.

I personally prefer a blast "cloud" that coincides with the damage radius.

http://usoonpatrol.org/assets/mc/legacy/blog/originals/2010/03/hurt-locker.jpg (2958 kB)

Edited by Oktyabr

So more outwards spread is what you are asking for?

In my opinion the first second of the blast should coincide with the radius that damage is taken. If someone can take damage from 15m away from the center of the blast then the dust/smoke/shrapnel "cloud" should almost instantly encompass this distance as well. After that it could rise slowly and/or spread further outwards with momentum.

The initial "shockwave" is way too much for a small device I think.. ? As is the Boom and rocking... That's more medium surely..

Small device says to me hand grenade, some wired 23mm rounds, small home-made bomb kinda stuff.

I'd expect that level of force/explosion from an AT mine or something pretty substantial.

The effect is great - really like it, but I'd move that one up the "IED PECKING ORDER" slightly.

SJ

Edited by serjames

That shockwave shouldn't have been in that first video. I had implemented it and then started working on the small ones without taking it out. That being said, I have taken everybody's input into account and this is what I currently have.

There is no real definition on what small is but I think a hand grenade size explosion would work.

The medium explosion is great.

If anyone has a 'clear the area" SP mission already made, please post it.

Edited by kurtz1

That shockwave shouldn't have been in that first video. I had implemented it and then started working on the small ones without taking it out. That being said, I have taken everybody's input into account and this is what I currently have.

I like that MUCH better!

Hey there!

I really want to use the updated version of your script, but when i want to preview the mission, my arma quits with a error message ".CfgFunctions: Member already defined" in my description.ext. But I completly copied the text from your post..

I really hope there is a small workarround for that!

Thank you Brians200, now that will work.

Problem is, in my game there isn't an IED Spawning..with the old version it wasn't a problem.

I want to build the IED on Takistan with the @A3mp map pack. I made a marker, called it "IED1" and put it in the iedInitialArray in the Ied_Setting.sqf and also deleted the predefinedLocations...i really hope you can help me..and is it still possible to activate a trigger with "isNull ied_0" (only one ied in the mission)?

Best greatings, Jona!

Follow the instructions here to see if it really isn't working

I am not sure I follow what you mean with activate a trigger with "isNull ied_0".

isNull ied_0 used to just check return true or false, based on whether the item the ied was hiding was there or not.

If you look at the first post, under Checking the status of a section of IEDs, you can see the code that replaced it.

You will need to figure out the section name of the ied, which is hard to do if you create the ied using the old way. If you do it the new way, which is under Creating IEDs after the mission has started , the sectionName will be returned from the function

Hi,

I also have Problems with IEDs not spawning on Takistan (@a3mp)!

I can remember that it worked with Version 1.5 pretty well.

I put the lines in the init.sqf and the description.ext. Then I worked a bit on the IED_Settings

I deactivated (via //) the "predefinedLocations" and "iedPredefinedLocationsSize" cause I'm to stupid to use these.

On "iedInitialArray" the only things activated are: "ALL", "ALLCities", "ALLVillages" and "ALLLocals"

After I discovered that these doesn't seem to work anymore I created two big markers - "IED1" and "IED2 - on my map and put this in the "iedInitialArray":

["IED1", 40, [10, 30, 15, 7], "WEST"],

and

["IED2", 20, [10, 30, 15, 7], "WEST"],

Its still not working. As Suggested in that Post I tested if the script loads (also a chat message in Game show me it does) but it shows me this: [[],[]]

According to the Post, the Script loads but I didn't gave it any IED's to make. But I did, didn't I?

What is going wrong! T^T

I deactivated (via //) the "predefinedLocations" and "iedPredefinedLocationsSize" cause I'm to stupid to use these.

This is why it isn't working. By "deactivating" those variables, you deleted them and then when the script tries to use them later, they are undefined.

If you don't want to use those, either leave them the way they are or set the first one to []. It doesn't hurt anything to leave the first one with its default values, even if you have no intention of using them.

Enjoy the new smoke!

Version 2.2

• New smoke for small IEDs
  • New smoke for medium IEDs
  • New smoke for large IEDs
  • Small IEDs should more more deadly for infantry and less deadly for vehicles now. Started using anti personnel explosions
  • Cleaned up the description.ext entry.
  • Single IED constructor can now specify chances ["marker", [fakeChance, smallIedChance, mediumIedChance, largeIedChance] , side]
  • Reordering of explosion events to make it seem more natural.
  • Removed some potential race conditions.

Download Here v2.2

Edited by brians200

Great news on 2.2 - looking forward to getting them onto our SYRIA | ALiVE map for this weekend...

:yay:

This is why it isn't working. By "deactivating" those variables, you deleted them and then when the script tries to use them later, they are undefined.

If you don't want to use those, either leave them the way they are or set the first one to []. It doesn't hurt anything to leave the first one with its default values, even if you have no intention of using them.

Downloaded the new Version and left the "First" line Blank ( [] )

Still not working. ....Why? T^T

Just ignore me. It wasn't "[]" it was "[]]".

Now its working.

Thanks alot for the hint. Finally, we can blow up again!

Edited by Moon_chilD

I cannot help you without more information... It will probably be easiest if you send me your mission in a private message so I can look at how you added them

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those interested in testing the next version out. You can download it here

Click File > Download

I am wanting to do some optimizations over the next couple of updates.

The idea behind this optimization is that normally, triggers check their condition every half second. This is kind of pointless for IEDs that are on the other side of the map from soldiers and vehicles. So with this update, each IED has a script attached to it that runs once every 5 seconds. If there is a "CAManBase" or "LandVehicle" within 250 meters of the IED, it will create a trigger for the fine grade checking, otherwise it will delete the trigger because it is currently pointless. The advantage of this then is that the majority of IEDs are only checking once in a 5 second period, rather than their current 10 times in a 5 second period.

Edited by brians200

Hi brians200, i try this in some missions, i gotta say it works amazing. I love this script. However, I would like to try it in my Arma 2 missions. Do you think it's compatible? Thanks in advance.

Is there a way you can increase the time it takes to disarm (while still playing the 'disarm animation')? I really love the IEDs but I find that it's so easy for BLUFOR to move on if the disarming only takes 6 seconds, I would rather have it take a minute or so.