Sign in to follow this  
rreznik

Simple IR strobe script

rreznik's IR Strobe V0.2

First of I just want to say that I am very, very new to scripting (started a few weeks ago) so please be gentle..

Now we have something to play with, just until the big boys make a proper one. ;)

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aXoOSWomsk

Installation / Usage:

Installation:

Just copy the "Strobe" folder into the mission folder, then either copy the init.sqf and description.ext into your mission folder or if your init.sqf and description.ext already exists, copy the following lines into it each of them:

init.sqf:

if (!isServer && isNull player) then {isJIP=true;} else {isJIP=false;};

if (!isDedicated) then {waitUntil {!isNull player && isPlayer player};};

[] execVM "strobe/strobe.sqf";

player addMPEventHandler ["MPRespawn", {Null = _this execVM "strobe\strobe.sqf";}];

description.ext:

#include "Strobe\defines.hpp"

#include "Strobe\dialogs.hpp"

that's it folks.

Usage:

-Check video above for basic usage.

-Strobe will be turned OFF automatically when player enters a vehicle and turned back ON when the player exits.

-Strobe will be turned OFF automatically when player is killed.

-All players will have "IR Strobe" in the action menu when script is installed on a mission.

Changelog:

v0.2

- Cleaned up script errors.

- Fixed "Strobe sometimes gets stuck mid air when detached and deleted from player" (creds to StanThaMan)

v0.1

- Initial release.

Known issues:

- Strobe sometimes gets stuck mid air when detached and deleted from player.

- Do not spam strobe on/off

Future plans:

- Make a check for actual strobe in inventory/on headgear. (Done, testing internally a bit before releasing)

- "Convert" in to a Addon. (Done, testing internally a bit before releasing)

---------------------

DOWNLOAD

Edited by rreznik

Cheers guys.. :)

Geat!

Should this be on the helmet?

I have not made an check for items with the strobe on yet, so it will work for all players on the server regardless if they have a strobe or not, for now.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Cheers Foxhound!

Does the strobe show is brightly in thermal imaging?

No IR strobes can only be seen in NV. More info here.

Hello nice script you should make it as a mod it can be really cool to have it as a mod !

Hello nice script you should make it as a mod it can be really cool to have it as a mod !

As soon as I have implemented the item check for if you actually have a IR strobe in your inventory I most likely will. :)

oh that will be great ! i gonna test your script tonight on a patrol ops with my guys i will see how many strobe we can see without crashing the stuff

Nice mate, thanks. We are using it with PO and it works great here but let me know if you need any help.

Very nice script, rreznik, much needed in the ArmAverse, and congrats on your first release. I really like the visual image you used for cutting it on and off, very professional indeed.

One quick question, I did notice another release of this same type of script from StanThaMan, which was posted just recently. Is it possible that the two of you could join together on this addition in order to keep it from being a competing mod against eachother? Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but I just thought if you two joined forces on this and shared ideas, it could benefit everyone in the process instead of people having to choose which one they really like using the most. No big deal, just thought I would ask.

Great work, and thank you for the release.

Very nice script, rreznik, much needed in the ArmAverse, and congrats on your first release. I really like the visual image you used for cutting it on and off, very professional indeed.

One quick question, I did notice another release of this same type of script from StanThaMan, which was posted just recently. Is it possible that the two of you could join together on this addition in order to keep it from being a competing mod against eachother? Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but I just thought if you two joined forces on this and shared ideas, it could benefit everyone in the process instead of people having to choose which one they really like using the most. No big deal, just thought I would ask.

Great work, and thank you for the release.

Cheers Siege-A very much appreciated. I have no intention to be in a competition with anyone and I did not do it for any kind of recognition, I just made this script as it was something that I thought was missing from the ArmA3verse and because its damn fun! ;)

But to answer your question, yes sure I will contact StanThaMan to see if he is interested in any of the simple GUI stuff I made for my script.

Cheers Siege-A very much appreciated. I have no intention to be in a competition with anyone and I did not do it for any kind of recognition, I just made this script as it was something that I thought was missing from the ArmA3verse and because its damn fun! ;)

But to answer your question, yes sure I will contact StanThaMan to see if he is interested in any of the simple GUI stuff I made for my script.

Sounds great, rreznik, and I didn't mean to pressure you into a certain direction or sound ungrateful. I understand many people create things just for their own personal use, or to learn about things they never tried before, so hats off to you for accomplishing a fantastic script. I only suggested it because this is a very cooperative community, and since you were new to scripting and had some nice things in your script that StanThaMan didn't have in his and vice versa, I thought it would be an awesome idea for the two of you to be working together on this project (as long as he agrees). But I fully understand your standpoint and respect that, so regardless what decision you make, I look forward to any future additions you bring to the ArmAverse.

Edited by Siege-A

Strange it won't work for me.

I just copy the mission and try and run it I see the switch but when I click it it gives an error message undefined variable strobe

Looking at the script this seems to be correct I can't see where it's defined.

if (strobe) exitWith {_handle = createDialog "MS2000_DIALOGON";};

It will come on by switching units a few times but I then get a load more errors.

by setting it here to false gets around the first problem of it turning on but I still get other errors

strobe = false;

WaitUntil{not isNull player};

player addEventHandler ["killed", {strobe = false}];

the last erros seems to be this line, it doesn't seem to be needed

IRST = _this select 1;

Edited by F2k Sel

Strange it won't work for me.

I just copy the mission and try and run it I see the switch but when I click it it gives an error message undefined variable strobe

Looking at the script this seems to be correct I can't see where it's defined.

if (strobe) exitWith {_handle = createDialog "MS2000_DIALOGON";};

It will come on by switching units a few times but I then get a load more errors.

by setting it here to false gets around the first problem of it turning on but I still get other errors

strobe = false;

WaitUntil{not isNull player};

player addEventHandler ["killed", {strobe = false}];

the last erros seems to be this line, it doesn't seem to be needed

IRST = _this select 1;

Cheers, I'll take a look at it now and get back to you as soon as I figured out what it might be.

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:21 ----------

Your right F2k Sel. found some errors, updating asap. cheers!

Fixed all the issues, conducting final testing now and will let you know once I have updated the download link.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I have now updated the download link mate, thanks again.

my apologies im used to checking the armaholic front page way and I forgot about the download link on the first page. :rolleyes:

Do you know which ammo crates contain the IR strobes you put in your inventory? :)

Thanks, really enjoy it alot :)

Edited by ARMA3FlyGun1

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Cheers Foxhound!

my apologies im used to checking the armaholic front page way and I forgot about the download link on the first page. :rolleyes:

Do you know which ammo crates contain the IR strobes you put in your inventory? :)

Thanks, really enjoy it alot :)

No items needed yet, just follow the instructions under "Installation / Usage:" on the first page in this thread or in the readme and all player will have the action in the action menu (Scroll menu). Let me know if somethings not working and I'll do my best to help you. ^^

Edited by rreznik

For some reason only the Player has the option in the scroll wheel when in a MP DS environment with everything properly installed. No playable classes seem to have it. IE, I have it, others dont.

Known issue? Any debugging ideas?