Sign in to follow this  
machoman121

Newbie to Arma 3 - weapon sway is ridiculous.

This is day 5 of me playing Arma 3 - every day of play my keyboard skills improves but there's something i can't get over - weapons sway. I know there's been some discussion regarding weapons sway but i really can't stand it anymore - the excuse/reason for the sway is that in real life there's a sway when u put your scope up. But it sure kills the gameplay - i scope up and suddenly i'm on a 'Perfect Storm - ahoy there sailor' sway with my scope - it takes me awhile to wait for the sway to align with a target and then shoot - do this a few times and suddenly my gut reaction regarding Arma 3 is that it's clunky & clumsy.

Has there been any mods to remove sway? I tried an Arma 2 sway removal - but it didn't work for A3. Can someone please help as i really want to like A3 and continue to play it- but currently deep down i really don't enjoy and appreciate the sway at all - even though the argument for it is that mimics real life and is more realistic - this is one aspect i don't need in a PC game. i love the graphics and the fact that the game can be modded/improved by endusers.

If you haven't been doing it, holding RMB also holds you breath, drastically reducing sway for a few seconds. If not, there are mods like TMR that allow you to rest your weapons on surfaces and reduce sway and recoil.

Welcome to the forums.

Were you knealing or standing? I will say that the sway while standing especially just after moving is a bit overkill. I've gotten used to it but it's still extremely strong. I've pretty much made it a rule of thumb for myself that I never fire in a stance higher than the HIGH CROUCH. In fact I broke that rule today in King of the Hill and got wasted for it twice. Although for some reason my game was running like crap too.... :/

Anyway, yes I partially agree but just keep working at it and you'll get used to it.

On another note, there is already a thread about this on the exact same page so in the future use the search feature to try and find threads related to your topic.

There should be some sway but i have to agree that in general it does not look natural. The sway is too much even when you hold yout breath.

While laying down with the TMR that allow you to rest your weapon on surfaces it should stop completly but instead it sways like hell. The weapon gains some life and thats just freeking ridiculous. I agree!

Hope this is improved a bit to make a feeling more realistic.

VTS_Weaponresting removes the sway, or atleast reduces it drastically. When you're resting your weapon atleast, as you should be able to tell from the name of it.

I've tried TMR and the problem with that is that u need to be prone and among the tall grass lying prone i can see jack-shit. So up i go a notch and scope up and 'ahoy there sailor - we are on a rocky boat" sway starts again and i get shot cause i'm trying to control the damn scope from see-sawing about. I'm not getting the satisfaction of the game like i get from playing BF. BF is arcade like (CoD is worse) but i do have a sense of handling the weapons in BF and it felt great. i hope i don't get damned for saying that in this forum but i really wanted ARMA to be my main game but as of now with this damn swaying crap it's pretty disappointing. I don't even feel like firing the game up to play - like as if i'm ever gonna be in the mood to have motion sickness. OK - maybe in real life the scope does sway that way (what do i know - i'm just a civilian) but this is a game and swaying is really no fun at all. I can't see myself getting past this swaying thing.

Edited by machoman121

BF is arcade like (CoD is worse) but i do have a sense of handling the weapons in BF and it felt great. i hope i don't get damned for saying that in this forum but i really wanted ARMA to be my main game but as of now with this damn swaying crap it's pretty disappointing.

The good thing of Arma, is that you can always use mods to adapt it to your desires. If can't fine an appropriate one, you can always mod it yourself.

Said that I personally like that weapons have sway, although I would reduce it a bit.

Of course weapons will sway. Hold breath when taking precise shots.

The default (hold RMB) keybind is bad of course, rebind it to a separate key.

As others have said, always hold your breath before firing.

Not only that, but lower your stance if possible. If you have an MG, Go prone or sniper sit as they reduce the weapon sway MASSIVELY, for other weapons it has less effect as I recall, but still makes it much more stable.

Of course weapons will sway. Hold breath when taking precise shots.

The default (hold RMB) keybind is bad of course, rebind it to a separate key.

Definitely this. The default binding of RMB to hold breath and zoom is insane. I recommend changing breath to left ctrl.

Unfortunately i don't think there are any mods that totally eliminate weapon sway. However there are some that tweak it so you could probably take those apart tweak values and put them back together to make a mod that does totally eliminate it.

But I suggest instead that you keep playing and get used to it. Like others have said, the hold breath/focus key is your best friend. You will grow accustomed to it over time. Its just like any game, your not going to be mastering it off the bat. Everything takes practice.

Unfortunately i don't think there are any mods that totally eliminate weapon sway. However there are some that tweak it so you could probably take those apart tweak values and put them back together to make a mod that does totally eliminate it.

But I suggest instead that you keep playing and get used to it. Like others have said, the hold breath/focus key is your best friend. You will grow accustomed to it over time. Its just like any game, your not going to be mastering it off the bat. Everything takes practice.

Sway needs to be more like VBS2: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=15943

It would be insanely more fun and more realistic.

I know there's been some discussion regarding weapons sway but i really can't stand it anymore

if you know there has been some discussion regarding sway, why did you have to make a new topic about it? Just continue in the old one please. It makes the forums so much easier to read (and is one of the forum rules, btw)

if you know there has been some discussion regarding sway, why did you have to make a new topic about it? Just continue in the old one please. It makes the forums so much easier to read (and is one of the forum rules, btw)

So much this.