Sign in to follow this  
Kydoimos

Disabling Player spotting Mines

How do you stop the player shouting 'There's a mine here'? BI have done it in the campaign, was interested to know how it was achieved?

Ah, maybe it's revealmine - I'll try that...

---------- Post added at 17:40 ---------- Previous post was at 17:29 ----------

Nope - doesn't work. That'd be too easy wouldn't it?

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

Okay - so I disabled the annoying chat. How do I get rid of the red triangle? :p

BIS didn't do it in the campaign, you can report and reveal the mines in that mission (I presume you're talking about the second mission). It just doesn't really happen because the mines are spaced out enough that you don't spot them immediately.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

Oh, ok! Thanks Ranger!

---------- Post added at 22:49 ---------- Previous post was at 22:48 ----------

But I did notice they used the revealmine command - would that not mean all the red triangles would appear?

---------- Post added at 23:13 ---------- Previous post was at 22:49 ----------

Does that mean mines can't be added, just for ambience? :)

Sure thing - I can't quite remember what I did, but I put the revealmine command in the init.sqf. and then made a list of all the mines in the mission. It's what BI did, and I got it from their mission init. file in the campaign .PBO. But I didn't bother using it, because when one side is aware of mines, you just get a whole bundle of red triangles that clutter up the screen, so in the end, I just didn't bother. If you can't find the code, I'll have a good look and re-discover it. Sorry I don't have the example to hand! It was something like revealmine _x for each ... etc. Hope that helps!

---------- Post added at 10:15 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

can't you disable the red triangle in profile options?

Sure - probably - but I'm mission making in the editor! :p I don't want others, with different profiles, to have to see a cluttered screen of red triangles. All the same, thanks for the suggestion!

Oh, ok! Thanks Ranger!

---------- Post added at 22:49 ---------- Previous post was at 22:48 ----------

But I did notice they used the revealmine command - would that not mean all the red triangles would appear?

Sorry I didn't realise you were talking about "Wet Work", I thought you were referring to the mine field in the second mission. Well yeah, I guess they use revealMine so the player and all the AI don't keep reporting them, because it would drown out the conversations. So they just reveal them all to everyone at once to get rid of that chatter.

Does that mean mines can't be added, just for ambience? :)

I don't know of any way to get rid of the red triangles. You could certainly use a scripted workaround, but it might end up being more hassle than it's worth.

Red triangles are a difficulty option, probably no way to disable them other than recommending a proper difficulty level for the player. If player wants an easy mode that's his choice. Unfortunately, easy-mode is default and most people don't realize it...

Does that mean that all classes once loaded by the engine are readonly and cannot be recompiled in any way?

Ok, thanks guys! If anybody knows of that work around, do let me know! :)

Off the top of my head... Just script/setup IED type explosives with something very

small. Will be same as Mines, and no profile settings will reveal them. My 2 cents.

If you want option then also to disarm, maybe 2 triggers so outside one is small window

to get the "disarm" (delete vehicle), before you get too close to detonate.

Hi Goblin - thanks for the reply - though I'm not sure what you mean by this:

Off the top of my head... Just script/setup IED type explosives with something very

small. Will be same as Mines, and no profile settings will reveal them.

I didn't know there were IEDs in the game?

@Kydoimos

Everything is in the game. Its the genius of ArmA. Its just a question of how much

you want to build/design yourself vs time and patience you have.

To make a IED/Bomb:

1. Place any object how you want. Big, small, human, invisible, etc. Name it Bomb1

2. Object Init Box: trigBomb1 attachTo [bomb1,[0,0,0]];

3. Create and Name Trigger trigBomb1

4. Trigger On ACT: bomb = "M_Mo_82mm_AT_LG" createVehicle [(getPos Bomb1 select 0),( getPos Bomb1 select 1), 0]; deleteVehicle Bomb1;

5. Trigger Condition: player in thislist (optional)

(you can use different explosive_classnames for desired amount of energy)

To Disarm:

Same setup basically. Just attach another Trigger with 1m larger than the first with an addAction to Disarm (deleteVehicle).

Just have it delete the Trigger and not the Object. Add whatever sound effects for better immersion.

Notes:

1. To build a Minefield you'd have to spend some time to name each one with unique ID's.

2. With attachTo Triggers you can therefore randomize the locations of the Mines/Bombs.

3. Players will not be able to 'detect' the Bombs with any settings they run in profile.

4. Warning: some objects will not let you attach Triggers for some odd reason. You'll have to experiment.

5. Use CIVs for random suicide bombers for that 'terrorist' chaos feel. Get creative! Use doMove to hunt you.

Example: Terrorist Suicide Bomber - Trigger = Terrorist1 doMove getPos Player1;

You will have to attachTo the Trigger to the Terrorist so when/if he gets close, he will explode! Kaboom!!

6. Last note. ENJOY!

Edited by Goblin
fixed code - wrote too fast first time... Enjoy!

lol - Goblin - cool script! Thanks, great fun. I'll try it out with the mines now...

---------- Post added at 21:34 ---------- Previous post was at 21:11 ----------

Okay, so I've got the mine appearing with the trigger and attached to an object. How do I randomise it? And is it the randomness that makes it impossible to detect?

Use Placement Radius for the randomness dispersion. Just make ONE and then Copy/Paste

as many as you like for fast setup. Ctrl+C to Copy. Ctrl+V to Paste. Then adjust for the

unique IDs. Place all Objects in middle and then set your Radius size for the Minefield itself.

The reason they cannot detect the mines, is your using an 'object' to make the mine/bomb.

Not sure if this is the answer you were looking for, but it's an option to make custom Mines

that they cannot detect/see/call-out... "I see a Mine!" even if player is using easy difficulty.

You can set the power/joules of explosive, AND the trigger radius to set it off. Here's a cool

idea: set the trigger radius out large and you will get the drama of nearby explosions without

killing the player. Small radius = death. Large radius = drama! The only limit is your imagination.

This would be kinda neat for intense "atmosphere" of nearby explosions.

As for disabling the Red Triangles for every setting; that I do not know... Stay Frosty!

Ah. You see, I already resolved the AI 'I see a mine' problem with the revealmine command being run from the init.sqf. Last night, I tried the suggestion above - but on Recruit setting the player still shouts out 'I see a mine'. So, not sure it works! Staying frosty ;) Just hanging in there for a way to disable the cursed red triangles. It justs looks a bit dumb and cluttered!

You may have missed the larger point. DO NOT use a MINE. Make psudo-mines.

Use a pop can, magazine clip, anything, etc. ARP2 magazines work great. They

are small and black. Passes for a Mine just fine. Hey, that rhymes...

The Trigger is to MAKE the EXPLOSION if triggered by X (Unit/OPFOR/BLUFOR). :p

I see what your driving at Goblin ;) It all makes sense now! But, I wanted the Navy mine - simply as a visual thing. To add to the ambience of the mission. They look kinda cool on scuba missions. I don't want them to detonate or anything like that - just wanted them for show...

How would I disable PLAYER animations? Just like disableAI "ANIM" works for non players. Surely there is a way to disable player animations???????

That's not really relevant to this thread - you might want to open a new one.

Updated and fixed code/instructions on Page #2.

(if anyone was interested - wrote too fast and

realized that as-is it probably didn't work, hehe) :p

@Kydoimos

Everything is in the game. Its the genius of ArmA. Its just a question of how much

you want to build/design yourself vs time and patience you have.

To make a IED/Bomb:

1. Place any object how you want. Big, small, human, invisible, etc. Name it Bomb1

2. Object Init Box: trigBomb1 attachTo [bomb1,[0,0,0]];

3. Create and Name Trigger trigBomb1

4. Trigger On ACT: bomb = "M_Mo_82mm_AT_LG" createVehicle [(getPos Bomb1 select 0),( getPos Bomb1 select 1), 0]; deleteVehicle Bomb1;

5. Trigger Condition: player in thislist (optional)

(you can use different explosive_classnames for desired amount of energy)

To Disarm:

Same setup basically. Just attach another Trigger with 1m larger than the first with an addAction to Disarm (deleteVehicle).

Just have it delete the Trigger and not the Object. Add whatever sound effects for better immersion.

Notes:

1. To build a Minefield you'd have to spend some time to name each one with unique ID's.

2. With attachTo Triggers you can therefore randomize the locations of the Mines/Bombs.

3. Players will not be able to 'detect' the Bombs with any settings they run in profile.

4. Warning: some objects will not let you attach Triggers for some odd reason. You'll have to experiment.

5. Use CIVs for random suicide bombers for that 'terrorist' chaos feel. Get creative! Use doMove to hunt you.

Example: Terrorist Suicide Bomber - Trigger = Terrorist1 doMove getPos Player1;

You will have to attachTo the Trigger to the Terrorist so when/if he gets close, he will explode! Kaboom!!

6. Last note. ENJOY!

Lol the old technic, as old as OFP :D

Why not trying the module?

Module> side > mine Field

it is also probably a simple BIS function to call...

(not tested)