55 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate your first bCombat experience

• Very disappointing
    • Mediocre
    • Average
    • Good
    • Very good

I'd say both.

For example i see units being stuck into buildings: vanilla does not usually make units go into them, but i think it's a ArmA bug.

I can confirm this happened to me in vanilla too. Quite often few months ago.

I can confirm this happened to me in vanilla too. Quite often few months ago.

Ok thank you, this means i can move on (and hope BIS will fix this :|)

Hi gentlemen,

i'm sorry to inform ypu that is unlkely v0.14 will be released today / tomorrow.

Fact is that despite the efforts, i'm not completely satisfied with its current state.

I've still problems with units stuck into buildings and in the meantime i'm trying to deal with (apparent) issues introduced by latest beta builds:

* Units fire much more now (full-auto), a bit too much when coupled with bCombat. Casualties are skyrocketing.

* I'm seeing further problems with AI units refusing to engage from distance (e.g. snipers), we haven't got these previously.

* AT units do strange things again, such as continually changing their weapon.

All in all i find actual vanilla AI more sluggish than before, which is a shame.

Today DEV build:

* AT units seem behaving fine again.

EDIT: and units use under-barrel grenade launchers again.

Edited by fabrizio_T

I think i'm starting to get again the right feeling with v0.14.

Units do suppress alot more, due to vanilla DEV builds changes.

Coupled with the fact they now crawl less and crouch more, this means we get more casualties, due to wild bullets spraying.

Bullets/kill ratio is now up to 100/1 vs. previous 30/1, sweet spot i was comfortable with. It's 300% higher!

This is something i dislike, i hope i will be able to further offset kill ratio by increasing chance of movement to cover, so we won't have to deal with quick ammo depletion issues.

Speaking about movement to cover, i already coded movement to building positions + temporary cover blacklisting (to avoid units crowding the exact same cover spot).

Sadly i had to disable all this, due to major issues with sluggish pathfinding and units being stuck into buildings.

This is not a problem i will be able to solve, i hope BIS with deal with it.

Ok large scale battles here (with combined arms, majority infantry) with 190AI. Without bCombat 33-40 FPS on dedi server, with bCombat on server 33 - 40 FPS :) I'm running Stable build (due to ALiVE testing too) and 0.13 bCombat.

Ok large scale battles here (with combined arms, majority infantry) with 190AI. Without bCombat 33-40 FPS on dedi server, with bCombat on server 33 - 40 FPS :) I'm running Stable build (due to ALiVE testing too) and 0.13 bCombat.

So same FPS?. Looking good.

Just out of pure curiosity:

Would it be possible to prevent the AI to go in prone position when indoors?

(I hate how they instantly go prone inside houses. It destroys the CQB feeling..)

I will do the same test with 0.14 Fab, just to check performance. I haven't seen any degradation of performance over time either, so it is looking good.

^^ perhaps use a check if anything is above their heads and force middle or up (I think the same technology is used to create indoor reverb for some sound mods)

Edited by Kremator

Just out of pure curiosity:

Would it be possible to prevent the AI to go in prone position when indoors?

(I hate how they instantly go prone inside houses. It destroys the CQB feeling..)

They should crouch already, as of v0.13.

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 ----------

I will do the same test with 0.14 Fab, just to check performance. I haven't seen any degradation of performance over time either, so it is looking good.

Thanks.

In the meantime i already did comparative testing and v0.14 = v0.13 performance wise, despite some more features.

Thank you Fabrizio.

I will test it. I'm sure it enhances indoors fight quite a lot.

Thank you Fabrizio.

I will test it. I'm sure it enhances indoors fight quite a lot.

I'll tell you the truth, i'm pretty sure it doesn't improve :(.

Indoor fighting is still extremely buggy, different stance alone won't cut it.

The biggest issue is routing / pathfinding.

It is so weak that units need quite some time just to find and reach a building's entrance.

Another problem is that units are extremely slow / inconsistent at reacting to close threats, which is a typical situation for indoor fighting.

Finally, ArmA3 animations are still too basic and clunky for CQB.

Sadly, i have very few hopes this will be ever sorted by BIS (but hey, it's only 12 years i hang around, maybe i'm wrong).

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:05 ----------

I'd like to thank all the people are PM'ing me and asking to participate the testing.

I really appreciate your interest.

That said, i'm not accepting further testers, please don't blame me for this.

We are already enough and existing testers are already giving the kind of contructive, precious feedback we need to further move on.

No promise, but judging on how things are shaping, a public ALPHA / BETA release is not that far.

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:51 ----------

Small update

I'd like to spend few words about a upcoming v0.14 OPTIONAL feature, which is "stop / overwatch":

By default (vanilla) units are temporarily stopped in order to shoot on enemy and they do this quite well.

By doing that they keep their role into formation, which means leader and other units will stop and wait for them for bounding overwatch.

In my opinion usually this is not the best behaviour though.

It would be better to leave these units (temporarily) free to lay down suppressive fire and attract enemy fire, while the rest of the group gains some advantage position.

As you may imagine, this would be especially interesting for machinegunners / autoriflemen.

So here comes "stop + overwatch" feature, which does exactly that, establishing bases of fire while group moves on.

From this behaviour are excluded player led groups, group leaders and formations leaders (which are the key units leading the advance).

Edited by fabrizio_T

"stop / overwatch":

Sounds EXACTLY what we've been missing in open firefights...

Very interesting !

SJ

I'd like to spend few words about a upcoming v0.14 OPTIONAL feature, which is "stop / overwatch":

Like the idea very much. A feature along these lines whereby AI groups establish a base-of-fire with AR units etc is very much needed. Good thinking.

Some v0.14 footage

Pardon my poor camera handling.

bCombat v0.14 - Assault on Charkia footage, you may wish to compare with previously posted video featuring v0.11.

Another glitch spotted into latest DEV build.

Standing throw animation is now broken :(

I'll tell you the truth, i'm pretty sure it doesn't improve :(.

Indoor fighting is still extremely buggy, different stance alone won't cut it.

The biggest issue is routing / pathfinding.

It is so weak that units need quite some time just to find and reach a building's entrance.

Another problem is that units are extremely slow / inconsistent at reacting to close threats, which is a typical situation for indoor fighting.

Finally, ArmA3 animations are still too basic and clunky for CQB.

Sadly, i have very few hopes this will be ever sorted by BIS (but hey, it's only 12 years i hang around, maybe i'm wrong).

Oh man :butbut:

I was working on a Raven shield mod.. But if the AI is beyond repair in any Indoor fighting situation, i should work on something else i guess......... Well thank you for the intel anyway.

Now that 1.08 patch has been released, it may be worth switching to stable build until after Christmas.

Now that 1.08 patch has been released, it may be worth switching to stable build until after Christmas.

Wise advice.

Looks like standing grenade throwing animation is fine again in ArmA3 v1.08.

On the contrary currentWeapon scripting command still works erratically.

---------- Post added at 23:56 ---------- Previous post was at 23:01 ----------

v0.14 stop / overwatch feature applied to autoriflemen

This video shows autoriflemen stopping on height in front of Charkia and providing overwatch / suppression fire while their own groups advance through the village.

NOTICE: autoriflemen are identified by balloons over their heads (other units have no balloons).

Edited by fabrizio_T

Tests are running good here with 0.13, keep your time for next one.

We support you till you find all the workarounds for Alpha3 AIs :)

Be a god and make the AI fights better in buildings!

Please?

I will send you lots of women and drugs to thank you.

I think there is a real problem with the engine in building CQB. I've never felt threatened by AI entering a building!

I think there is a real problem with the engine in building CQB. I've never felt threatened by AI entering a building!

Yes, on the contrary whenever i enter a building in ArmA3 i'm feeling threatened by the engine.

---------- Post added at 15:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:23 ----------

Be a god and make the AI fights better in buildings!

Please?

I will send you lots of women and drugs to thank you.

Thanks, but i have a wife and not even smoking (anymore) :)

However, my opinion is there's no chance we'll get effective indoor fighting, due to limitations of current RV engine.