Sign in to follow this  
aoshi

Why arma lights don't have shadown?

The new light is awesome, and I love arma, but almost every game of the last five years, who work with dynamic light have shadows.

Currently a wall does nothing with car headlights and flashlights

I repeat that I liked the new lighting (I love picking up a car in the editor on a dark night and drive around with headlights on without night vision)

but the lack of shade give me a very strange feeling

Vote here http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=4180

And there is a way to use a mod to fix this?

Edit:Dev Says

We are definitely going to use deferred lighting and shadows, however I have to confess we won't 99% make it into A3 release. This is not an easy task and there are more important issues. Unlike other features this is a huge engine change.

Believe me we are the first in a line to get deferred stuff and various fixes and optimizations. Often it's a matter of compromise, but more often just about the resources we have. Support us (anyhow) and we will be allowed to do much more.

Edited by aoshi

Engine limitation AFAIK. The most annoying thing is that light goes through walls. You don't necessarly need to have dynamic shadows in order to prevent that from happening in a game.

Engine limitation AFAIK. The most annoying thing is that light goes through walls. You don't necessarly need to have dynamic shadows in order to prevent that from happening in a game.

Yeah, any method that make light stop at wall, I will be happy

for optimization pourpose, also might come with deffernd whatver shading, BIS had in plans to add, after release.

I wouldn't trust that Dev quote; That was on the "old A3" times, Damu is not even on BI anymore.

Yes, it would be a great addition.

Something like this could be nice as well http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?162153-Interior-shadows-WITHOUT-creating-dynamic-shadows-through-LOD-that-cuts-off-light oh well, this won't likely change any time soon. Arma 3 will have a gorgeous new lighting system, lovely new high detail shadows and cause a mediocre zone by not combining the two...gonna be stuck with having lights bleed through walls and into vehicles.