Sign in to follow this  
monotone

While Altis itself shrinked to it's 75%,it lost half of habitant.

http://blog-imgs-62.fc2.com/m/o/n/monopod/alt1.jpg (1190 kB)

You can see how the density of a town lost.

Altis keeps same shape of terrain and load as Lemnos,but it was shrinked into 75%.

As a result,33% bigger people live in 33% bigger houses in same street than RL.

I guess BI decided to resize Lemnos (Altis) because of both development resource and playing performance.

But this decision harms reality of landscape seriously.

People never draw same road,curve of any corner doesn't have same R when they are in more constrained town space.

Structure of town can't be same when given less number of houses.

This is why I feel strange while walking through a street of Kavala(in Altis).

So,what they should've done is not to shrink whole the island but to cut off some parts of it to reduce amount of objects.

If each side of the map is 75% of real size, assuming buildings are same size as reality, you can only fit just over half as many in that space:

0.75 * 0.75 = 0.5625

There are many compromises required for performance sake, the good news is each generation of games gets a little bit closer to reality:)

BIS may not be willing to shrink Limnos to the current size, all due to the optimization. If keep the same size and detailed, then we all have to use GTX Titan.

Performance is certainly one issue, though the lessons Bohemia seem to be learning about optimising Altis in its current state makes me excited to think that they may well try even bigger maps in the future. Problem with that is that the guys will have to be wary of the locals trying to arrest them for spying and the thought that folks will undoubtedly complain if whatever they recreate in 1:1 scale is not inch perfect to real life...

More on the topic at hand, I guess it was easier for the devs to just follow the existing road-layout - for the most part - rather than completely redesign the layout of the city streets. Should they have done, to make a more realistic-sized town fit for a population 4,283 people (working on the basis that it is 75% the population of real-life Myrnia (yes, in 2011, but maybe they regress to that number thanks to the war and whatnot...)) is a good question but one that I don't think can yield an definitive answer, unfortunately.

Personally I love Kavala the way it is - the only thing I wish they had done/would do with it is add a few more landmark buildings; i.e. hotels, such as in this picture http://lemnosexplorer.deviantart.com/art/Myrina-castle-and-quay-wallpaper-image-MC5-321379786

lol because altis is 75% of real lemnos, doen't mean the houses and everything is also 75% of real size lol, we would play in a hobbitania then ;)

http://blog-imgs-62.fc2.com/m/o/n/monopod/alt1.jpg (1190 kB)

You can see how the density of a town lost.

Altis keeps same shape of terrain and load as Lemnos,but it was shrinked into 75%.

As a result,33% bigger people live in 33% bigger houses in same street than RL.

I guess BI decided to resize Lemnos (Altis) because of both development resource and playing performance.

But this decision harms reality of landscape seriously.

People never draw same road,curve of any corner doesn't have same R when they are in more constrained town space.

Structure of town can't be same when given less number of houses.

This is why I feel strange while walking through a street of Kavala(in Altis).

So,what they should've done is not to shrink whole the island but to cut off some parts of it to reduce amount of objects.

It's a common practise of BIS to make their landscapes in this fashion:

Take RL terrain detail, with vegetation areas, road placement and town loacation as basic loaction & areas only.

Then make new towns with new layouts suitable to that new terrain.

So although the terrain is taken from a RL location, the layout of it is not, for (perhaps) obvious reasons. So while we can admire that Altis looks pretty good and terrain-wise matches the RL Lemnos pretty well, it does not follow that the town layouts and densities should also match up. Particularly when, as you pointed out, the island was also reduced in size by 25% or so.

So in summary: Altis is a fictional place. Same thing happened with Chernarus BTW.

Hello monotone. I appreciate your Research but Parts of it are very flawed in Logic. The size of the People and houses is 1:1. the fact that the Island and the landmass itself isnt, should be evident as well: Performance and gameplay. A exact replica of the Island would simply not be possible with the current Hardware and Many Areas of the Map would lack any sort of interesting points. Therefore, Parts of the Island have Been Cut and resized.

If you wish to discuss certain elements of the map, please use the dedicatet altis discussion thread, which you'll find with the forum's search function. Thank you!