Sign in to follow this  
steele6

we really had a fantastic game

Firstly I'd like to raise a few points in favour of arma 3, it really is a great game

1) arma dev's are returing back to what made the OFP game great in the first place: shorter, less dynamic, campaign [easier to test, less time walking around/ bugs, ] obviously, a dynamic campaign is cool and all, but its less fun, as everything is random, and difficult to allow the best elements to come to the fore. can you remember how many hours you spent just traveling alone in the arma 2 campaign? it was terrible.

2) Altis: best island yet, no doubt. Cheranus's towns felt a little repetative to me after a while, and there was too many forests covering up alot of the terrain, I'd say Altis is better, creates a better playground then Chenarus

3) largely Bug free, owing to Alpha, Beta testing and feedback from players

4) smooth development management and updates and great community feedback. This I think I really love, each week, the dev's would remind us what is coming up, what fixes or important community issues (in general) are being considered

5) [infantry focus game] AWESOME ANIMATIONS! the game is less clunky, more fluid, more life-like and easier to grasp compared to other games. transitioning from another FPS type game is easier, and invites a bigger amount of players, which brings success to this franchise, something we all want for BIS. the improved weapons and attachments are great. the improvements made to the core game- the infantry combat, make this game the strongest in the series.

6)the Extra effects in the missions are pretty cool, the UAV's before a mission plays, the fancy text, the awesome music, all the production stuff is included here, its really great and makes everything quite professional, I love it. much better compared to arma 2

7) the new radio protocols are bloody great! no more awkward stiff radio messages, it really goes along way to improve the AI's "humaneness" and increase the immersion.

8) although this soaked up alot of dev time it seems, the phsyx upgrade is great. its still being smoothed over but its getting there. alot of players complain about some vehicles having anti-rolling protection, but honestly, its for the best, driving when any sudden maneuver can wipe out your truck is just painful. its a worthy compromise from realism to make this game fun

unfortunately, arma has a few problems:

Minor:

health system, its a bit too easy to slap on a FAK and be away with it, I'm pretty sure the dev's mentioned they'd fine tune it later on, so I really don't mind. besides, I still die after very few shots anyway, this makes it still arma, it certainly has not been dumb ed down

graphical issues: alot of people complain about the performance, but we can't criticise BI here, point out the problems and help them fix it, we can't fix it on our own, improving performance is high investment, little gain.

tank not having co-ax guns. it takes a little more time to get the AI to use the MG instead of us taking the infantry out instead. otherwise just switch to the gunner position anyway. this is a minor complaint really.

fair points:

a few vehicles have been copy pasted from other units, but given a few extended dev holiday times, the reform of the whole arma 3 process with new content lead/whatever project lead dudes, the stuff they focused on really improved the game hands down.

AI: obviously, here we gotta offer suggestions, and point out the flaws, I'd love to see the AI being the next focus of the game, try to make the AI more competent in urban areas, faster to move around (maybe) and maybe a more human AI, stuff like dynamic conversation ["crap weather" "I'm scared"whoo! "good shot!" etc stuff, that doesn't get repetitive.

I am very excited for the campaign, and for the jets coming in the next free DLC update.

I actually wouldn't mind paying for an additional campaign (after the first [3 episodes]official one) if its relatively cheap and fun. it would be a cool idea if they brought out a few new content/ vehicles/guns etc for the new DLC campaign.

can't wait! I dig this game!

I would also pay for an additional Campaign

but I would pay more for a "arma 3 supplement DLC" that adds: Weapon Lock to ground (dunno the right word right now); Gunsound Reverb (in room != outside); a bit better performance in Multiplayer (dunno how realistic this is); everything else is just fine for me.

It's called Bipod tremanarch, and I doubt it's gonna arrive in a "DLC". More like a free patch, or a mod just like Arma 2.

yea Bipod or weapon rest on other things aswell - thats what I really need. Those towers should be pretty dangerours - but now they are deathtraps for the guys inside cause they have no steady aim.. its actually way round as it should be... thats not good.

I don't know about few bugs in the game. As a mission maker, I've encountered some really annoying bugs. AI die when they try to deploy a parachute.

There are also some features that desperately need a revision, but we just copied and pasted from Arma 2. The squad control interface, the action menu, etc. The high commander interface needs improvement too, as you can only order waypoints. I want to be able to tell squads to get into vehicles, but I can't.

I would not pay for a campaign when most user made campaigns will be up to the same quality if not better than BIS'.

There was a time when people would have been shocked at the idea of paying for more content for a game that was released less than a month ago instead of begging for the chance to do so.