Sign in to follow this  
matt_zilla

Who would like to see a futuristic type mod?

if there was mechs for ofp u cloud have a crew like a commander,driver and a gunner that would be so cool it just like a tank on legs think of it that way.put a mans legs on a tank lol i should think about what im saying tounge.gif

i fully support this but i want it to be realistic, no hover tanks, teleporting or time travel

I think a futaristic infantry combat sim would be rather nice smile.gif

So long as it's fun, I could care less if we're fighting 40-foot tall teddy bears from Texas smile.gif

And projectile weapons only (railguns, combustion firearms) i.e. no lasers, phasers, p-beams etc.

I think Aliens had the best futuristic army gear I've seen in a movie...the Dropship, APC, M41A pulse rifle, L56 smartgun etc. biggrin.gif

yep, thats ok... but which kind of vehicles do you want? do you just want high tech tanks... or do you want hover tanks with shield generators?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ Aug. 18 2002,05:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And projectile weapons only (railguns, combustion firearms) i.e. no lasers, phasers, p-beams etc.

I think Aliens had the best futuristic army gear I've seen in a movie...the Dropship, APC, M41A pulse rifle, L56 smartgun etc.  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

and starship troopers, such as the morita with shotgun underneath

I didn't think OFP could suport laser effects that could give damage? Maybe if you used tracers and lots of them but that would kill fps(not sure about that though) so I wouldn't want em either.

I'd be satisfied with a small mech that had a missle pod and some machine guns, hehe and the ability to step on people smile.gif

Laser could be done by making the laser ammo as very fast coloured missiles wink.gif.

But why would a tank with legs need any new motion captured animations? Couldn't the legs just be made like wheels in a normal OFP tank but instead rolling they would act like mechanical legs. I'm probably wrong in this.

If you're trying to make it realistic then mechs of any description are not happening. There are two reasons for this, firstly a tank distributes weight over a large area, a mech with feet creates many times more pressure on the ground where it steps meaning it would not be viable over any surface except for maybe concrete. Secondly the trend with military kit is to keep the profile low. Something standing up on two legs is an easier target that a low, flat tank.

On top of this there are issues with recoil, maintenance and other practicalities. Put simply they'd suck.

I think mod teams would find more people interested in mods based on current military tech. Nobody has made a dent in the massive number of currently available military vehicles for the NATO or Eastern armies. A mod that could provide a full range of, for example, British, Chinese or Colombian units and vehicles in a variety of colour schemes would be a must have.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ludovico Technique @ Aug. 18 2002,23:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you're trying to make it realistic then mechs of any description are not happening. There are two reasons for this, firstly a tank distributes weight over a large area, a mech with feet creates many times more pressure on the ground where it steps meaning it would not be viable over any surface except for maybe concrete. Secondly the trend with military kit is to keep the profile low. Something standing up on two legs is an easier target that a low, flat tank.

On top of this there are issues with recoil, maintenance and other practicalities. Put simply they'd suck.

I think mod teams would find more people interested in mods based on current military tech. Nobody has made a dent in the massive number of currently available military vehicles for the NATO or Eastern armies. A mod that could provide a full range of, for example, British, Chinese or Colombian units and vehicles in a variety of colour schemes would be a must have.<span id='postcolor'>

True to a point.   The sci-fi lore behind a mech is a convergence of many different kinds of technology.  Armor/weapons/and so on.   If you have a gun bigger than mine, I'll make a bigger and better one/arms race.  Mechs are the the next step in sci-fi because they are nothing but weapons platforms that look like monsters and one of them on the battlefield are suposed to equal 8 or more tanks (sci-fi speaking of course smile.gif

But you do make a good point in the fact we need more real weapons addons.  I just wish BIS could patch OFP to make all available addons fit in OFP.     That memory map error is really annoying......

plus they'd be stupidly hard to balance. I dont think lasers are very realistic either, except maybe on a tank.

but that idea how to make a lasershot in ofp is really good ... i never though about defining it as a rocket....ok.. it has nothing to do with reality cos in reality you wouldnt see it flying and it wouldnt sound like a AT-AT firing like in the starwars movies.. you would probably only see a quite soundless beam.... but the idea is cool... keep that in mind

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (B@ZOOkA @ Aug. 19 2002,01:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">but that idea how to make a lasershot in ofp is really good ... i never though about defining it as a rocket....ok.. it has nothing to do with reality cos in reality you wouldnt see it flying and it wouldnt sound like a AT-AT firing like in the starwars movies.. you would probably only see a quite soundless beam.... but the idea is cool... keep that in mind<span id='postcolor'>

True. Whats the deal with some kind of plasma weapon, I have no idea what the sci fi theory behind this is, but are they feasable?

Flourecent lights use plasma, all you have to do is hook up a rocket to a flourecent light bulb and a battery and there you go.

can you just make an amored vehicle and give it a soldier modle(well a mech model- like gundam) and up the size (like the giant jeep) so you can get in it like a vehicle and could target stuff? and give it like a giant revolver with heat ammo?                                                                                                         And if there ever is a totaly crazy mod (in your opinion) you are never forced to get it! im suprized i dont see any complains bout those face skins (shrek, target face, and so on). why no complains, cause you see them and think, thats stupid and ya dont get it. so please dont discourage people from makeing ANY type of mod for the comunity. its free and there optional. EDIT- and to say ,if ya wana play with mechs play mech warrior.. thats like telling the people who made all those awsome new cars, to just stop makeing them cause we should be playing need for speed (or some other crap oneway racer) insted. now YOU dont want that do you?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Global Enforcer @ Aug. 20 2002,07:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">can you just make an amored vehicle and give it a soldier modle(well a mech model- like gundam) and up the size (like the giant jeep) so you can get in it like a vehicle and could target stuff? and give it like a giant revolver with heat ammo?                                                                                                                   And if there ever is a totaly crazy mod (in your opinion) you are never forced to get it! im suprized i dont see any complains bout those face skins (shrek, target face, and so on). why no complains, cause you see them and think, thats stupid and ya dont get it. so please dont discourage people from makeing ANY type of mod for the comunity. its free and there optional.  EDIT- and to say ,if ya wana play with mechs play mech warrior.. thats like telling the people who made all those awsome new cars, to just stop makeing them cause we should be playing need for speed (or some other crap oneway racer) insted. now YOU dont want that do you?<span id='postcolor'>

target face is mine u noticed.

I never got a chance to play HEAVY GEAR 1. But I play #2 and the gears as they are called have wheels built into their feet. This gives them a dual mobility that might help a mod maker overcome the walking leg problem.....or not smile.gif

Hey major! Awesome pic! I didn't know anyone built that boardgame into a video game, or is it just a cg pic?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">target face is mine u noticed.<span id='postcolor'> im sorry for doing what i hate the most, putting down someones work. and for that i apologize. (i needed an exaple) no offence

What about a V-Mod? You know, that tv series. Mankind against The Visitors. White shuttles and red/black-colored troopers with laser guns. Huge burger-like motherships.

I think that would be fun... biggrin.gif

I had this idea once that i thought would b quite cool but don't have the time or the knowledge to do a good job on it.

tell me wot u think

it's set on Earth a few hundred years in the future and is basically a water world setup were the ice caps have melted

the technology could be anything you wanted even less advanced than it is now on account that mankind is strugerling to survive

only two major powers are left

USE - united states of europe  (basically a single country EU)

China - china is curently resolving many of it's problems and developing it's most rural areas, it has the largest army and a massive work force and is likely (in my opinian) to become a super power in the next few decades

wot about the US? u ask

i dunno bout u but i get fed up with the americans (no offence to u guys) being the centre of atention and taking credit in films 4 stuff they didn't do (u571, savin private ryan,etc) so they colasped into 50 indervidual states under the strain of repetative terrostist attack

then there are several small bands of people (a resistance ) who will fight with or against the major powers as in order 2 survive

there is even scope for fightin on the moon or mars as there is little land left on earth

the good thing bout this (i think ne way) is that it is designed for fighting around small islands which the ofp engine is idea 4

if it should be kind of water world...why are there all the big continents left?... i mean all country should have been flooded? but the idea of a waterworld like in the movie waterworld is good... there only question left is: is it possible in ofp? boats shouldnt be the problem...islands too ..the only thing that wont work is under water vehicles.... its not possible in ofp i think

btw: a water world is not very realistic because if the ice caps have melted the oceans would have increased about 60 meters... thats not enought to flood all the continents

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pathfinder @ Aug. 19 2002,23:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I never got a chance to play HEAVY GEAR 1. But I play #2 and the gears as they are called have wheels built into their feet.  This gives them a dual mobility that might help a mod maker overcome the walking leg problem.....or not smile.gif

Hey major! Awesome pic!  I didn't know anyone built that boardgame into a video game, or is it just a cg pic?<span id='postcolor'>

Just a pic I think...