Sign in to follow this  
matt_zilla

Who would like to see a futuristic type mod?

Well, I just wana know how popular a mod of this type would be...(dont expect anything)

I'd like one if it was "near future" (Aliens, Starship Troopers, Soldier etc.) but not "far future" (Star Wars, Star Trek etc.).

If it would be done very well, and it would have some sort of "realism" in it (not total sci-fi with star wars style force powers and such, but just high tech things which even could be someday possible)

Dont take that wrong though, I dont have anything againist Star Wars in general tounge.gif

I think Aliens or Terminator would fit the engine perfectly (more so with Terminator since new animations would be needed for the Aliens)

I think it would be cool if it integrated a lot of experimental army technology, only it was all finalized in the mod. Like tanks with rail guns instead of sabots, every american soldier has an OICW, every Russian soldier has maybe an OC-14 Groza congifuration of some kind, air strikes with un manned arial bombers, etc.

Futuristic Mod: Can you say STUPID!!!

tounge.gif  biggrin.gif

the only thing i want thats futureistic, is something that realistic, U.S. soldiers w/ well done OICW (and working, w/ proper scopes) weapons, and two man machine gun that can go from static to mobil in the game (one soldier carries the new OICW machine gun and the other carries the ammo drums) and a Comachie and a maybe The Crusader even though it was scraped. that and a GPS. thats all i can think about for now

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Aug. 16 2002,23:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the only thing i want thats futureistic, is something that realistic, U.S. soldiers w/ well done OICW (and working, w/ proper scopes) weapons, and two man machine gun that can go from static to mobil in the game (one soldier carries the new OICW machine gun and the other carries the ammo drums) and a Comachie and a maybe The Crusader even though it was scraped. that and a GPS. thats all i can think about for now<span id='postcolor'>

Um.... If I'm not mistaken the OICW is not a crew served weapon. All the ammo is carried on the OICW rifleman.

But then again the OICW has not been used in active units as far as I know....still in testing last I heard.

At any rate, I assume it will be like the M203 grenadiers. In the U.S. Army that grenades are carried by the soldier carrying the M203 weapons system unless the mission dictates that more 40mm ammunition is to be carried by other soldiers.

But yeah it would be cool to see a M60, M240 crew or M2 .50 cal crew that could transition from a regular squad to a fixed gun emplacement. But I'm afraid that without help (or some patches) from BIS that kind of stuff could not be made possible. sad.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Um.... If I'm not mistaken the OICW is not a crew served weapon.  All the ammo is carried on the OICW rifleman.<span id='postcolor'>right... there is a Objective Crew Served Weapon (OCSW) and a Objective Individual Combat Weapon (OICW).... read more at fas.org: OICW, OCSW.... but enought of that stuff.... i d like a mod in near future with todays weapons and futuristic ones... the U.S.O.F.-mod is just working on it...

i just saw there is another mod working on something like that too.... check this out

hell yes we cant all sit in the 1940s-2002 period thats just gets boring, the people that say hell no r boring, i dont care if its star wars or aliens im guessing it will be fun, the star wars speeder bikes heaps of fun jus need sum mp games with it.

dont know if star wars scenarios would (will...because theyre already in produce) fit into ofp.... ok the speeder addon is fun ... but the walkers... youll have to make completly new animations .... same thing with aliens... someone already said that

well technically a star wars mod wouldnt be futuristic,

"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..."

It will be cool if it was in not to far future

2020-2095 maybe.with vehlices like dropships,howertanks,suited up marines (like in starcraft) and flashpoint world system is suitable for battles on other planets.story maybe colonial wars againts somekind of federation and rebels which wants to form some sort of republic.in campaing you will play young rebel which join up their army to stop them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">my question is how to animate the mechs?<span id='postcolor'>well it would be like a big person with guns for arms.

but mechs dont move like humans .. you cant just take the normal flashpoint animations for soldiers... i think that would look terrible.... havent you ever played mech warrior... the movement looks more ...mechanic

is it possible to import new animations into ofp? and are there other possibilities than motion capturing?

It would have to be done VERY well to even be worth considering. That skill, time and effort could be put to some fantastic real-world military equipment that this game is best suited to. After all there are alot of good futuristic games out there, why go to the monumental effort of converting this one?

thats a really good point...if you want a game with mechs than change to mech warrior... when BIS developed flashpoint they didnt think of useing mechs in it ... its just too much work to get all that stuff working..but this is not against futuristic mods at all ... its just against being megalomaniac

I was thinking along the lines of an arms race. Something like nuclear fusion being invented and a whole new world of possibilitys with the use of Nuclear fusion have emerged, such as the makeing of mechs and new space craft that dont need to refuel...

I think mechs would work if you used the mechanics of MECHWARRIOR 2 MERCS. Keeping the designs simple and the movement also. The torso could be the turret and the gun/arms could move like a tank cannon up/down. Kinda like the missle pods on the ADATS tank or whatever that thing is called smile.gif . OFP weapon selection would be perfect unless you wanted an alpha strike/all weapons fired at once.

Although I never played the board game, the battletech universe is closer to todays weapons than star wars. And they still have tanks , air forces ,and infantrymen.

I'd love to take a team of men and hunt down a light mech wound it repair it and hunt down his bigger brother smile.gif