Sign in to follow this  
phlux1

The ARMA 3 Community Analysis, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Many of you bought this game for $30 when it was in Alpha, I spend about the same to get a pizza delivered with sides every couple of weeks, or when I'm at a party. Even if I was disappointed with this game now, I wouldn't demand a refund, because I've had far more enjoyment out of it than a pizza with sides.

This has allowed access to the Alpha, Beta then full release of the game, which is soon, the game has still not been released. But all I see on these forums is whinging, I can't praise the game without someone telling me I'm wrong for doing so, all people on this forum seem to do is complain. It's quite clear that more than a few of you have no idea how the development process works, or seemingly fail to understand that the people on this forum are a minor portion of the community at large. I came from the Reddit community hoping to get involved with making islands and whatnot, but now I have absolutely no interest whatsoever and I can understand why other modders have recently abandoned ARMA as a modding platform. On Reddit, there is nowhere near the amount of whinging that there is on here, most of it is just sharing videos and notifying each other of cool new missions and mods.

The main problem is many of you refuse to engage in discussion, when someone explains to you why x wasn't done in time for release, you ignore them or try to shoot them down. There are several people that have been trying to explain, for instance, why BIS will not simply port ARMA II content and why it is a bad idea to do so. Others take small issues and blow them up into huge issues that overshadow everything that BIS has done right with this title. The game is more polished than any of their previous titles, the physics are good, the controls are tight and the animations are so fantastic that I spend a lot of time in third-person. These are the issues that the community at large wanted BIS to focus on, cramming more features into an unpolished game is what they have done in the past and those titles were not large successes like ARMA 3 is shaping up to be.

How can you help? Shoot down the negativity and encourage discussion, discussion means that sometimes you will have to admit when you're wrong, it's part of life and being a successful adult as well. When someone calmly comes in and explains that BIS aren't going to waste time introducing weapons and vehicles from the 20th century, maybe see the merit in their argument, rather than demanding BIS tailor the game to suit your specific tastes. Maybe recognize you're one of thousands, possibly millions that will be playing this game and BIS cannot just cater to you.

I won't be returning to these forums or working on content for ARMA III, I hope others continue to do so and I respect that they are able to pursue their hobbies in the face of so much entitlement.

I've tried to make this as polite as possible, it's likely it could be deleted, I just hope some of you see it first.

Bye

We dumped this game, because after 10 years, little if anything has changed. And now they dump all the modern armor, weapons, aircraft, etc, in order to put in a handful of unrealistic Sci-Fi crap. Even the terrain sucks. What happened to the beauty and realism of Chernarus? Now we just get the wasteland of Greece.

In a word, yeah, IT SUCKS! I don't think even ACE is going to bother with this sim. Haven't seen a post by them in two years. Heard through the grapevine half the team jumped ship when they saw Arma 3. Even they expected SO MUCH MORE.

And really Phlux, obviously you don't like this game either, because as you state, your not coming back or modding for it.

The engine is ancient and BIS doesn't seem to care much anymore. Reminds me of Crysis 3. "Soon to be dead". What we need is Crysis Wars + Steel Beasts Pro + DCS Flight Sim. THIS is what we are looking for. THIS is what we want in Arma 3. What we got was less than Arma 2 with the same BAD flight sim.

If you want to support an engine with a vast landscape and upcoming potential, head over to the DCS (Digital Combat Simulator) forums and help me prod them into putting highly realistic FPS and vehicles into their AWESOME flight sim. New landscape engine EDGE coming out soon. Want to fly a REAL heli? A REAL A-10C? DCS is your sim. Come over and help me get FPS into it. Arma is too old and gasping its last breath.

Edited by Logan9773

"Arma 3: Better than pizza with sides!" You should put that on the front cover of the game, probably better than "Whaetver hur dur - PC GAMER" :D

But yeah, you will see a lot of whinning here - from major things that need to be changed to "IR reflector is 5cm to left from chaff ejection port and not 10 as in game". Guess it's the nature of this type of player (simmers?) or because we spent too much time in this franchise, for some is more than just a game (and the only one of its kind).

But in the editing\scripting part of the forums you will find very helpful people that won't mind to give a hand even with the smalest things.

EDIT: ^^ See? But it's funny most times. :yay:

;) Tis all in good jest!

I dunno folks, I feel pretty disappointed with all the seemingly copy and paste content. This really could've been "Game 2" - it is good in most areas except the artificial "balance" and the lack of diverse units. We can only hope the future is slightly brighter. At least they admitted they dropped the ball; that earns a lot of respect.

Buy game, wait for ACE to actually make it worthwhile.

Shame BIS still can't make games that the community doesn't need to salvage on their behalf.

For me, its too late. I see an Ancient engine, little care on BIS part to change or go forward, THE END.

I see much better engines coming up with far more potential. To me, this looks EXACTLY like the end of Crytek, when they put out the huge disappointment of Crysis 3.

DCS, Outterra. That is the future.

We dumped this game, because after 10 years, little if anything has changed. And now they dump all the modern armor, weapons, aircraft, etc, in order to put in a handful of unrealistic Sci-Fi crap. Even the terrain sucks. What happened to the beauty and realism of Chernarus? Now we just get the wasteland of Greece.

You dumped it because nothing has changed or because everything has changed?

Buy game, wait for ACE to actually make it worthwhile.

Shame BIS still can't make games that the community doesn't need to salvage on their behalf.

Not willing to wait many more years for salvage ( by then it really will be ANCIENT. ) And has anyone heard from ACE of late? Last post I see on their boards is TWO YEARS AGO. Then I hear rumors half the team has jumped ship for greener pastures.

I believe there are enough posts where to complain to make new ones. I think if people are disappointed should use:Disappointed with the full release

BTW there are also enough posts about encouraging people to keep calm and have a constructive attitude: Relax just breath

If everyone of us create a new post, the forum will be flooded in less than a week. So what about try to focus on creating posts only for giving constructive criticism ( like givin' suggestions of how to solve stuff and keep everyone happy in good manners ).

Well, lets see. We now have nothing but a few Sci-Fi gimmicks. Your flight sim sure didn't change. It still sucks. And now, instead of pretty Russian countryside, we get the Greek wasteland. Oh yeah, and we also get the TKing 12 year olds who have flooded all the servers because of DayZ and Wasteland. Seems a lot worse than Arma 2 to me. Not to mention you didn't seem to put into the game ANYTHING ACE did for you. Am I missing something?

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

WAAYYYYY too late for that. No ones going to wait years for teams like ACE to make the game decent. Time to move on. New engines beckon.

Well, lets see. We now have nothing but a few Sci-Fi gimmicks. Your flight sim sure didn't change. It still sucks. And now, instead of pretty Russian countryside, we get the Greek wasteland. Oh yeah, and we also get the TKing 12 year olds who have flooded all the servers because of DayZ and Wasteland. Seems a lot worse than Arma 2 to me. Not to mention you didn't seem to put into the game ANYTHING ACE did for you. Am I missing something?

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

WAAYYYYY too late for that. No ones going to wait years for teams like ACE to make the game decent. Time to move on. New engines beckon.

I was hoping to not have to come back.

The reason the game ships with an editor, the reason it is so easy to mod for is so that mods like ACE can get made. Once again, not everyone wants the features that ACE introduces, a lot of people play a lot more casually, this was true for ARMA II as well. BIS leave these changes up to the communities that want to play with those features, the only feature I'm disappointed to not see is weapon resting, but I already have a mod installed that takes care of that and the game isn't even released yet...

I do like this game, in fact now that I've had breakfast and my coffee and have the day off work, I'm going to go play it. Have fun being angry and hateful on the forums.

Enjoy your "the mods will fix it" crap. The rest of us won't be waiting around.

Oh, and enjoy those 12 year olds! :P

Yep, we get it after you spammed this and other threads. Problem finding the exit door?

instead of pretty Russian countryside, we get the Greek wasteland.

wow! i'm a chernarus fanboy myself. but just for a reality check you should start up arma 2 again and see how it actually looks and then compare it to altis right after. altis is amazing. yes i miss those forests too but in return we get amazing urban environments awesome plains and so much more. yes yes. i agree arma 3 could've been better. but shitting on altis?! how dare you sir?! how dare you? :p

seriously though. again i agree. lots of potential wasted here. but people who honestly think arma 2 is better are delusional. and what's with all the ACE stuff. yes a great mod and all respect to them. but i honestly never used it and know many who didn't either. while it's insanely well executed it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea. and there's a lot of hype to it, which again doesn't degrade it's high quality.

yes mods improved the game but there is certainly not ACE needed to make arma 2 or 3 enjoyable at all. i had the best gameplay in insurgency where there were no mods used whatsoever. same goes for AAS or any other well crafted game mode. ACE is mainly used by realism groups who like to have lengthy briefings and stuff. that's absolutely valid but arma 2 didn't need ACE at all to be enjoyable.

Yep, we get it after you spammed this and other threads. Problem finding the exit door?

I like how you want people who enjoy the game to leave but those who hate on it to stick around, perfect logic, and I have neither the time nor the will to "spam threads."

I like how you want people who enjoy the game to leave but those who hate on it to stick around, perfect logic, and I have neither the time nor the will to "spam threads."

If calling people who disagree with you spammers, is the only argument you fanboys can come up with, your game's not going to survive. By the way, if this is all you've got, you too know the way to the door. And if you don't have the time or the will to defend your "great game", then what are you doing here? Besides being fanboys.

This game has multiple problems, and is not what has been advertised. You wrote this comedy of a thread, so defend it.

---------- Post added at 01:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

So whats your excuse Smurfy, 2877 posts of rubber stamped fanboyism?

If calling people who disagree with you spammers, is the only argument you fanboys can come up with, your game's not going to survive. By the way, if this is all you've got, you too know the way to the door. And if you don't have the time or the will to defend your "great game", then what are you doing here? Besides being fanboys.

This game has multiple problems, and is not what has been advertised. You wrote this comedy of a thread, so defend it.

---------- Post added at 01:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

You're an idiot, Smurf called me a spammer, I didn't call anyone a spammer. Please read and understand the posts before attacking people.

That wasn't for you...

Check my post history and see it for yourself ;)

That wasn't for you...

Check my post history and see it for yourself ;)

I'd hoped that was the case, I agree, Logan is in every thread posting the same trite bs over and over.

Hey Phlux, you said in your first post your weren't coming back, but here you are. Obviously, your just trolling for a fight. You've been here what, a few days? I've been trying to get BIS to fix this game for years. Your one of those raving DayZ kids, aren't you? Well, a lot of us are NOT HAPPY with the crap that has been put out, so if you want a fight, bring it.

Edited by Logan9773

Lol, sorry Smurf, I thought you were looking for a fight like Phlux. This forum doesn't quote well. Never met you before, so..

And Phlux, you said in your first post your weren't coming back, but here you are. Obviously, your just trolling for a fight. You've been here what, a few days? I've been trying to get BIS to fix this game for years. Your one of those raving DayZ kids, aren't you?

My outfit member coerced me to come back. You just keep attacking and insulting people Logan, I've posted quotes from devs and links in other threads, all you've done is act like a child.

FFS Logan and Phlux1,

If you cant act civil then don't post or take it to pm, no one is interested in your twaddle.

If you can somehow remain civil and have a constructive discussion then by all means carry on, otherwise...