Sign in to follow this  
mrflay

Turbosquid license

I was considering using a model from turbosquid in a mod I'm making, but I'm not sure if the turbosquid license (faq) permits use of the model in Arma.

From my chat with one of their copyright agents:

TurboSquid 3D models posted under the Standard license (most models) may be used in game mods under these conditions:

1. The TurboSquid 3D model is in a proprietary format established by the game's creator, and cannot be extracted with any publicly available software or without reverse engineering.

2. There are no tools allowing users to decompile the game mod format to extract TurboSquid material.

3. The game has no functionality for end users to import any open 3D file format.

Please do not use 3D models of another company's logo or product design (e.g., a BMW vehicle), however, as these are only for news reporting or use by the third-party company (i.e., by BMW, its hired parties or licensees)

My understanding of this is that you can use a model from turbosquid in Arma provided:

A. The 3d model is binarized (from condition 1).

B. The original textures are not included (from condition 2).

Anyone around here able to give me a definite answer?

yes, you are correct for both A and B.

#2 is a joke.

This is the internet, there is ALWAYS a tool available, eventually.

BIS didn't supply a dePBO tool.

So I'd argue textures are just as protected as the 3d file.

the safe card is what i said before. and it is still the truth.

but gnat has a point. more than that, most of the time with UV textures, you can use it for the given model, or not use it at all. There is really no middle ground. No one would be able to sell or use commercially those textures anyways, without the actual model. I guess the licence covers the a lot of other stuff as well, for instance textures packs that are also available for sale on TBSQ.

Im glad someone posted this, because Ive been looking at doing this and have a few models ive been playing with.

On the points raised though, correct me if im wrong but if I download a model from turbosquid, create new UV's and textures, binarize and distribute to ARMA community I am complying with the standard licence?

Assuming im correct. Whats the concern here?

I also asked them about distribution:

Q: Provided the above conditions are met, are there any further limitations regarding distribution of the mod containing the model? For example can I upload the mod to a public repository, where end users can download it for free?

A: That is fine, but if a tool comes out (whether by the game developer or a third party) that allows users to extract the 3D data from the proprietary format, you should discontinue using TurboSquid models in game mods of that game or format.

So, while I agree with Gnat, safe bet is to remake the textures yourself.

Be informed that there is a tool available on the internet to de-binarize p3d files. Advertizing it on this forum is forbidden so i can't give more info about but it does exist.

the rule of Turbosquid are interesting irony, considering tons of 'unknown source' content posted there is extracted by the very same tools they wrote the rules against ...

Myke;2491789']Be informed that there is a tool available on the internet to de-binarize p3d files. Advertizing it on this forum is forbidden so i can't give more info about but it does exist.

= further advertising. Lol

Gnat;2491815']= further advertising. Lol

I do see the irony but better to inform people about possible issues than let them hang in the possible danger.

Myke;2491789']Be informed that there is a tool available on the internet to de-binarize p3d files. Advertizing it on this forum is forbidden so i can't give more info about but it does exist.

Well' date=' that's unfortunate. That clearly means I can't use the model in my mod. In fact, since most of the 3D-model re-sellers I've come across have a similar clause, the only option left is to try and make the model myself.

the rule of Turbosquid are interesting irony, considering tons of 'unknown source' content posted there is extracted by the very same tools they wrote the rules against ...

I'm sure there are a lot of infringing stuff there, but not so much as I thought there would be. I try to look into the source as much as is possible before purchasing a model from them (of course, I'm not in the industry so, this is based solely on comparison to other sites, eg. 3D warehouse).

Interesting irony is how BI or at least some of their employees are involved with said tool. Talking about double standards.

I prefer use this site

http://www.blendswap.com/

they have good license and if something you want is not there you can request , like all things build a raport and become active and you will be helped , no man can be all things and sometimes throwing Cash is not a good option , people can benefit knowing there hard work will be used for more than a render and it certainly help there portfolio

After discussing the tool issue with the turbosquid representative, he concluded its existance does not prevent use of turbosquid models in arma.

This is okay. You may use the 3D model in the mod, subject to the rules previously stated.

What we are mostly concerned about is there being a tool that enables or facilitates the extraction of the 3D data into an open 3D format that might be used to compete with or potentially lower the value of our 3D model on TurboSquid.

If you become aware that another tool is released (whether first- or third-party) that gets any closer to this, you should revisit this issue by replying to this email. Also, when you publish the mod, it may be wise to affix notice of this info: "The mod is only provided for use as a mod in the provided format, and the license does not allow you to modify or distribute the mod."

All the very best,

Antonio

So provided the model is binarized it's ok.

I prefer use this site

http://www.blendswap.com/

they have good license and if something you want is not there you can request , like all things build a raport and become active and you will be helped , no man can be all things and sometimes throwing Cash is not a good option , people can benefit knowing there hard work will be used for more than a render and it certainly help there portfolio

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Edit: Wow, a CC licensed Robinsson R22 and recurve bow!

Edited by mrflay

Myke;2492274']Interesting irony is how BI or at least some of their employees are involved with said tool. Talking about double standards.

what you trying to indicate here ?