Sign in to follow this  
niktator

AI, other issues

Hi there,

I played Arma3 Alpha and Beta for only 180 hours so far - but I`d like to point out some things. There may be older discussions and known issues - but this early access way of releasing a game includes PPL like me. I don`t read bugtracker and message boards all day long, so I don`t know what will be fixed later on - and what is supposed to be like it is right now.

So here we go:

1. AI:

The AI should be adjusted asap. I`m not really sure if it is meant to be really hard to play with "regular" settings - but the AI doesn`t care if it is night or day, if you got cover, they don`t even need a scope. The AI just kills on long range distance with single shots very often. I do like a difficult gameplay - but in Arma 3 the AI is just UBER.

Silenced gun, 900 meters at night - 3 hits on an enemy (body is shaking on each impact) - but the AI wins. 1-Shot kill - non scoped, no NV.

I guess everyone knows moments like this.

2. Little Bird:

I think the lil bird is just hated by the developers. Year 2035... Low radar profile stuff, great armor, great weapons - but what about the lil bird? It`s still 1960(!) design. The miniguns are just a joke and it is hard to kill even soldiers. Not sure if the armor is so great, but killing like it was meant does not work out anymore. Shooting at vehicles with the minigun is close to ammo-wasting.

Talking about the rockets... Rockets? Even a normal BTR takes plenty of !rockets! So if it`s 2035 - there should be rockets, which destroys a BTR with a single one?

A common situation is: Attacking a BTR with rockets, land, take the Titan with AT missile, destroy it.

The lil bird has like no armor. Normal guns render a lil bird unuseable with 2-3 hits. It doesn`t even have flares.

So in 2035 there is still 1960 lil bird, facing 2035 technology enemys. Sucks (big time).

But hey, there is a great bonus: IF you destroy a BTR with the lil bird - you`ll score zero points!

3. FM:

Arma3 does not advertise acarde gaming. Why the copters have a FM, which reminds on iOS gameplay? Why don`t you make it more realistic and/or hard to fly a helicopter?

Snipers in Arma3 need to hold their breath for a precise shot - but flying a helicopter needs to be freaking easy? Does not make sense to me.

If Arma3 claims to be a simulation - it should be normal, that a 10 yo can`t fly a copter...

If you want anyone to be able to fly a helicopter - great - but please don`t call it simulation anymore.

The argument, that customers (may) want it that way is a no-go. There are enough FPS games, having a similar FM - but they don`t claim to offer a simulation.

So what`s the point?

Beeing scared, that less PPL will buy Arma3 if it is too hard to fly a copter does not sound fair - regarding to the strength of the AI in close combat.

I could go on - but I don`t want to make the posting too long to read it.

Kinda regards, Nik

create repro mission for the 1. and report it on feedback tracker then upload the mission into that ticket ... if you want it to be fixed ...

thanks

The AI should be adjusted asap. I`m not really sure if it is meant to be really hard to play with "regular" settings - but the AI doesn`t care if it is night or day, if you got cover, they don`t even need a scope. The AI just kills on long range distance with single shots very often. I do like a difficult gameplay - but in Arma 3 the AI is just UBER.

Silenced gun, 900 meters at night - 3 hits on an enemy (body is shaking on each impact) - but the AI wins. 1-Shot kill - non scoped, no NV.

I guess everyone knows moments like this.

You never hit anyone with a silenced gun at 900m, so no, this is the same old whiny wives' tale.

The AI accuracy algorithms aren't well-balanced, that's all.

You can make them horrible shots in the game options, but they will still have isolated moments of brilliance. And those moments send everyone crying home to mama, when in reality they are just brief episodes of player-like accuracy. Play PvP, then complain about unfair AI.

I played Arma3 Alpha and Beta for only 180 hours so far

ONLY? Man 180 hours is some 7 DAYS!?!?!? But whatever.:)

2. Little Bird:
3. FM:

I know what you mean. The flight models are unacceptable. There has been some discussion here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?161262-Arma-3-TOH-similarities

But the progress is belittling unfortunately. Something very disappointing to say the least. The armor is too unacceptable. By these elements, the different armies would by no means have choppers. It would be a waste of money and human lives. I mean I am a great fan of TOH where things are way better. The flight models are realistic and the damage but still, after years of experience,, no bragging,, handling a light helicopter in the battlefield is extremely difficult. That is because there us no bullet proof glass, which means that every soldier in the area can bring the chopper down.

Okey Doke.....the next time I get shot from 600m whilst flat on my belly I'm gonna repeat to myself the mantra "The AI accuracy algorithms aren't well balanced, that's all"

Best unintentionally funny 'sound bite' of the day so far :)

Okey Doke.....the next time I get shot from 600m whilst flat on my belly I'm gonna repeat to myself the mantra "The AI accuracy algorithms aren't well balanced, that's all"

Best unintentionally funny 'sound bite' of the day so far :)

So you could never hit a prone target from 600m?

Really?

Really?

What's actually going on here is that you don't think the bots in a videogame should be allowed to beat you. You're used to ego shooters with pop-up targets instead of opponents. If you play PvP, you will get shot at long range. In fact, I can guarantee that the accuracy of players will far outstrip that of AI.

It's just that players will make their accurate shots at logical times, when conditions allow it. The AI makes accurate shots seemingly at random, without a logical relationship between factors such as nearby clutter (which would confuse the human eye). They don't react to fatigue and weapon sway in the same way, nor suffer from human stress. Most of all, they don't have to walk rounds onto a target, but have the same probability of a hit from the first shot to the hundredth. So it seems unpredictable, unnatural and unfair.

In short, The AI accuracy algorithms aren't well balanced.

It is currently a big problem, but the other 95% of your post is noob bullshit, as any ArmA veteran will tell you.

Okey Doke.....the next time I get shot from 600m whilst flat on my belly I'm gonna repeat to myself the mantra...

Try mantra "If I can shoot them at 600 meters when they are flat on their bellies, and kill them if I'm lucky and have a steady (mouse)hand, they can get lucky and kill me too, so I have to get some cover.".

Whoops....little bit touchy there Maturin.

I've played Arma from the beginning and before that OFP, so not at all used to ego shooters. Patronising and presumptuous spring to mind.

The fact is that we all know the AI is often times unrealistically super accurate and responsive. A fan boy attitude to good natured comment changes things not one jot.

I love Arma and would play it with even more deadly AI.

The fact is that we all know the AI is often times unrealistically super accurate and responsive.

It has changed from what it was in Alpha, long distance instant deaths.

Now I would Not say "often times".

Usually, and I mean 98% of times, I have enough time to get myself to safety after I shot 1-2 members of the enemy group far away.

With a sniper rifle, few kills more, before getting back.

I get myself killed just being too hungry for the kills, not because I'm dead with the first bullet that comes back, now.

And that is ok. I shouldn't be able to wipe whole groups out as a lone gunman. That is for other kind of games.

If it needs some little tweaking, ok, but it's not a game breaking thing anymore.

Is there going to be a better line of sight in Arma 3? In Arma 2, the enemy can see perfectly in pitch darkness, is that going to be sorted out? Better grenade throwing techniques?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?159710-Development-Branch-AI-Discussion

there is huge and active thread, if you think you have some bug, issue or AI annoyance, make repro mission + report it to Arma 3 Feedback tracker + upload the mission to the ticket + post URL to that ticket in the AI thread

i kinda agree on the lil bird

something like this would be more fitting oblivion1.jpg

if were gonna play scifi might aswell go all the way right.

on the whole AI thing.

I kinda like it, if you put ai infront of enemy players it actually has a decent chance of killing them if you see them first.

BI should worry more about the AI pathfinding. now that is something that actually kills the game. drivers turning into bushes, trees, stones.