Sign in to follow this  
dontknowhow

America's Army: Proving Grounds

Quite a surprise to me, but a new version of America's Army is about to hit Steam in about 10 days:

http://www.americasarmy.com/

Expectations are not very high, probably because the previous version was not exactly a success. Or maybe because it doesn't look that great:

http://aapg.americasarmy.com/media#videos

But what the hell, it's free, worth a look

The Soldier models look rather mega high techy. Crye airframes, BAE plate carriers, space age multicam suits. Way more scifi looking than Arma 3. And they still can't hold their guns correctly in 3rd person.

I´m not really interested in MP, but I like the art assets.

When AA3 was released, I was playing AA2 for about a year. I was totally disappointed by AA3 at first, but accepted it as a annoying little friend you have to play with because all your friends do it, too. When they stopped the Servers for AA2 I stopped playing AA2 and played AA3 (still being disappointed). Seeing this is not just disappointing but.... well, I can't find any words for it. AA2 will stay the best AA. As soon as Ground Branch will be released and will become more popular, I guess a lot will switch either way.

AA4 is a joke, plays like Call of Duty and looks like straight from a Candy Sweet Box with all these colors.

AA2 > AA3 > AA1 > AA4.

When AA3 was released, I was playing AA2 for about a year. I was totally disappointed by AA3 at first, but accepted it as a annoying little friend you have to play with because all your friends do it, too. When they stopped the Servers for AA2 I stopped playing AA2 and played AA3 (still being disappointed). Seeing this is not just disappointing but.... well, I can't find any words for it. AA2 will stay the best AA. As soon as Ground Branch will be released and will become more popular, I guess a lot will switch either way.

AA4 is a joke, plays like Call of Duty and looks like straight from a Candy Sweet Box with all these colors.

AA2 > AA3 > AA1 > AA4.

I would say try out the game on the 29th when it's released and try playing on a Hardcore server. Hardcore is more difficult, more lethal and more about the immersive experience. Its for the more traditional tactical shooter players that enjoy a game that's strategic (thinking man's game), non linear, objective focused, where team coordination is a necessity. It's not a simulation but the gameplay is much more tactical and enjoyable for me who doesn't enjoy the run and gun method.

Seeing enough videos which were released on YT (even though it's against the NDA), I'm still not impressed. No AA beats AA2.

Oh I didn't knew there were videos for it yet.

Thats enough, not wasting time with this. AA2 was surely the best one and I miss something like that nowadays.

Edited by Smurf

it does kind of suck. Can't believe it's so bad. Oh well, it's free, I'm still willing to check it out

seems like CoD meets CS: GO plus something else ... ah ... arcade ...

Increasingly further away from AA2, disappointing to see.

But it is unfortunately following the popular direction these days.

The previous title, after many patches, was a solid title at its core. Not a superb game, lacked content and still had some bugs and issues. But it was rather tactical as far as PvP MP shooters go. This, however, looks terrible. Looks like CoD hardcore without respawns.

I played a few rounds. Not that great, but I was expecting worse. It's also an open beta, not the final release.

Hi,

seeing CSS dying I went for something else and.... this ain't that bad.

Don't expect AA2 but from the few matches I played so far, I take this over AA3 as a tactical game. Hardcode mode on a 24ppl server is good.

Graphics are nice, sounds are enough, gameplay is simple, gunplay is fun. You have bleeding that can be stoped with bandages and can be "revived" (25% life, only once in hardcore) if not heavily damaged or "secured" (zip locked). There is also a takedown animation equivalent to a knife kill. Maps I played so far are pretty small though. As a South American, ping doesn't help.

Effects for flashbangs and supression are something to look into! There is even a super simple yet functional rest\deploy system, worth a look. Weapon\grenade selection like that would be good enough in Arma.

So that is, don't expect anything great but as a free game is enough to suppress my "quick tactical game" need.

I agree, not bad. And it's getting better. I haven't played it for a while, but last time it had lean and night vision. I disagree about the graphics, even if it's not bad, and I would say they can make better maps. The bridge sucks. Actually, they could add some.

The latest versions are also less forgiving. It's quite often one shot and you are dead. You should really watch out, even because you can be revived only once, and not only in hardcore.

Considering that it's still in development it might get interesting

Okay, it seems that now it is possible to revive more than once. Interesting. They are also adding maps, slowly.

I would sat that my major problem at the moment is that I get my ass kicked way too often

I've been enjoying it. Reminds me of SWAT 4 a little bit with the zip tying. Best when you have some good team oriented people to play with though. I've had some very fun matches with people like that and some very crappy ones with lone gunmen

I've been enjoying it. Reminds me of SWAT 4 a little bit with the zip tying. Best when you have some good team oriented people to play with though. I've had some very fun matches with people like that and some very crappy ones with lone gunmen

what i see is that people tend to talk much more, but they are not really more team oriented than that. They are talking lone gunmen :-)

Considering how easily you can get killed and how the maps are made I would say it's better to go in small groups, but I have never seen that really done. People talk and revive, but they still go on their own.

Guess you should play with people you know

I was addicted to AA when it first came out in 2004 or so. Might have put in close to 1000 hours into it (at least 500 hours in Mountain Pass SE map alone). Sucked way too much of my time, and haven't played it since the 2nd version of it. Looks like Proving Grounds is in beta right now. Anyone tried it?

I was addicted to AA when it first came out in 2004 or so. Might have put in close to 1000 hours into it (at least 500 hours in Mountain Pass SE map alone). Sucked way too much of my time, and haven't played it since the 2nd version of it. Looks like Proving Grounds is in beta right now. Anyone tried it?

Yes, still in beta, but quite stable. They add small features and maps every month or so. Personally I think it's okay, but it looks like insurgency has some potential.

I was enjoying it for a while too. I feel like it is more team oriented than most games but maybe I just want it to be.

Have they added a planning element to it? That was something the old version really needed.

Have they added a planning element to it? That was something the old version really needed.

planning? On public servers? I'm just happy that people are talking a bit more. I just have to learn to do the same :)

Played a couple of rounds today, after a few days with Insurgency. I really think it's not bad, but I miss the maps and weapon customization Insurgency has. Maps are getting better though. I would also like to know why a game with the unreal engine 3 cripples my high end laptop where I haven't had problems to play any game