Sign in to follow this  
granQ

Share your ground textures

First I want to say, I will contribute as well, however got this idea while at work so thats why I will not post anything just yet.

Anyway, we all do different satelite textures of course but we often have same need for nice looking ground textures.

So was thinking, why we don't share.. concrete, mud, fields, jungle, snow.. share your files.

Please put up:

Example.jpg

Download link (including picture, rvmat file)

I will update this post to put in everything here, please also share if you got good advice on how to make the files.

My best resource for ground textures is this:

http://www.cgtextures.com/

Guess i'll share mine then !

All packs includes textures in these formats :
- co
- mco
- nopx

Misc Texture Pack

Contains :

• Steep Cliff (k69c_cliff)
  • Cliff Face (k69c_cliffface)
  • Lush Grass (k69c_lushgrass)
  • Snow (k69c_snow)
  • Deep Desert Sand (k69c_deepdesert)
  • Desert cliff (k69c_sandstone)

PepinKrMiscTexturePack.jpg

Link :

Volcano Texture Pack

Contains :

• Volcano ground (k69c_vflatland)
  • Volcano rocks (k69c_vrocky)
  • Volcano lava (k69c_vlava)
  • Volcano cliff (k69c_vcliff)

PepinKrVolcanoTexturePack.jpg

Link :

Credits :

Edited by PepinKr
  • Like 1

Nice one, i'm sure i'll find a way to use it on my map.

Edited my post with pictures of my textures.

Edited by PepinKr

M1lkm8n used textures from : http://www.cgtextures.com/ for SMD_Sahrani_A2

They look great and are free for use so long as you credit them and it's for non-commercial use.

And to add to that, the high-res tiled textures are reserved for premium accounts only. But with photoshop it's quite easy to make tileable textures by yourself. Content aware fill helps quite a bit ;)

I made a "nice grass" texture set recently after a discussion/request about making golf courses on the terrainmakers skype channel...

NiceGrass_01_small_zps97fa9572.jpg

Grass can be tricky to tile neatly, and even trickier to parallax successfully...

This texture uses a "tufts" approach to both the parallax & mco texture components which worked quite well - for a change ;)

With appropriate clutter, it should be quite suitable for any "tended grass" areas, such as lawns, parkland, golf course fairways, football pitches or any other general urban "nice grass" context, and - with a cluttercutter in place, it's "nice" enough to stand on it's own - with no clutter at all (see above) - in small areas, such as "golf course greens" which is what it was really for in the first place..... :)

bush_nicegrass_01 textureset

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Updated my first post with new textures, they all use the new nopx format for normals (finally got it working).

Edit :

How to make a _nopx PAA

Maybe some people still don't know how to make a nopx .PAA so here it is (pretty simple)

I use crazybump to make my normals, you only need to change one thing in your preferences :

crazybumpt.jpg

• Save your normal as a TGA
  • Open it in photoshop or GIMP and make sure Alpha channel is active.
  • Save again.
  • put nopx as a prefix
  • Use Texview and Voila !

Edited by PepinKr

CrazyBump is pretty good - and pretty expensive!

A cheaper and pretty impressive alternative is PixPlant (which, despite the name, has nothing to do with plants)...

Though you can achieve perfectly good results with the NVIDIA Normal map plugin for Photoshop, or Xnormal, which is pretty powerful, and also free....

*Remember - a "Displacement Map" is NOT simply a "Greyscale of your _CO"...

For _MCO's - there's considerably more going on with them than it would first appear...

_MCO's, and how to make 'em

P.S. - If you don't actually have Photoshop... follow the Adobe link at the bottom of the MCO's page linked to above - register for free for an Adobe account, and then download your 100% free and legit Photoshop CS2...

OK, it's a little old nowadays, but it's free, legit, and will easily do any task you're likely to require while terrainmaking... Grab it now, while Adobe are still feeling kind... ;)

B

Edited by Bushlurker

CrazyBump is pretty good - and pretty expensive!

A cheaper and pretty impressive alternative is PixPlant (which, despite the name, has nothing to do with plants)...

Though you can achieve perfectly good results with the NVIDIA Normal map plugin for Photoshop, or Xnormal, which is pretty powerful, and also free....

*Remember - a "Displacement Map" is NOT simply a "Greyscale of your _CO"...

For _MCO's - there's considerably more going on with them than it would first appear...

_MCO's, and how to make 'em

P.S. - If you don't actually have Photoshop... follow the Adobe link at the bottom of the MCO's page linked to above - register for free for an Adobe account, and then download your 100% free and legit Photoshop CS2...

OK, it's a little old nowadays, but it's free, legit, and will easily do any task you're likely to require while terrainmaking... Grab it now, while Adobe are still feeling kind... ;)

B

How is PixPlant cheaper? Student version of crazybump is 49 USD, personal edition is 99 USD. Cheapest PixPlant version on that site was over 100 USD.

Hmmm...

You're absolutely correct Xendance!

I just slapped in links in my previous post - going on my previous recollection of relative prices...

The "student" license for CrazyBump in particular, is a new one to me - that's pretty good value if you can swing student status!

B

Hmmm...

You're absolutely correct Xendance!

I just slapped in links in my previous post - going on my previous recollection of relative prices...

The "student" license for CrazyBump in particular, is a new one to me - that's pretty good value if you can swing student status!

B

Yup, I bought the student version few years ago. If I recall correctly, they didn't ask me to prove my student status at all, which was kinda odd.