Sign in to follow this  
DChristy87

EOS, UPS, UPSMON, or AI Spawn Script - Best One?

Has anyone tried all of these? If so, do any of you have any opinions on which might be the best?

the AI Spawn Script I'm referring to is found here:http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=21499&d=0

I'd like to know which are less riddled with errors (hopefully error free, or kept current with updates to prevent errors).

Also, which might have the most features/customization/and just overall more useful?

In short - just which one is the overall best and if you have the time, why?

UPS has been around for quite a while and does it's job good. Same goes for UPSMON. I'd say take one of those if you want units to patrol large area's. For smaller/ urban area's I find EOS being the best, because it can be used for multiple purposes.

These are all good tools, it really sometimes comes down to what you're trying to accomplish at the time. OR personal preference. I would not say anything bad about any of them.

But my answer would be, "None of the above". :p

To start with, I haven't been using the one you linked to @ armaholic, because I could not get it to work fully w/using the MP editor (you can read my post about that in his thread). I'm sure it's also a good tool to have in your toolbox, not putting it down, but I use the MP editor so that was important to me.

Both UPS and UPSMON are good, and I've used both of them many times. They do however require you to pre-place units/groups on the map and then add to their init lines. This isn't really a bad thing, but it leaves a bit less replayability for the person who actually made the mission. IN the sense that you'll get random patrols, but you're going to know which units, how many, etc.

With DAC or SLP, you don't have to pre-place units, and you have a bit more flexibility, for example the number of units/groups you might encounter on a certain patrol. If you are playing your own missions, this is a big plus.

A year or whatever ago I would have said DAC is the obvious top choice. The amount of possibilities and the depth of flexibility is astounding. Really something to behold. But from what I can tell, the original author is no longer active, you're going to be relying on community efforts to keep it up to date. Which might work out fine, you'll just need to see how it goes over time.

SLP is inspired by DAC, works basically on same principles, just doesn't go to the extreme depth that DAC did/does. I also am a big fan of the "hunt" feature offered in SLP, which is great for those free-roaming sandboxy type of missions. Where you want a constant flow of bad guys coming at you, no matter where you go, w/o spending hours setting up various triggers and markers and zones and whatnot.

Another plus of SLP and DAC, is that AFTER giving you more flexibility on the number of units/groups that you spawn, you can then turn their 'brains' over to somethign like UPS or UPSMSON, if there is a certain functionality of one of them that you want to tap into at the time. At that point, you have the best of both worlds.

Another plus of SLP is that the author is currently active and making the script error free for your spawning pleasure.

Bottom line is that we're lucky to have all these options.

Been using EOS together with UPSMON quite some time, works like a charm. Especially if you're server is not particulary on the strong side :D

I didn't try SLP out, but it seems like i'll have to give it a go!.

The new ai spawn script pack by spunfin is awesome, a great choice of scripts, it allows you to be very creative in your mission designs and once you get the hang of using them they are a mission makers dream. EOS is also good it just depends on what you want to do. UPS and UPSMON need some good scripting knowledge to use them to their full extent. But if your like me and struggle to understand all the jargon go with ai spawn script pack 100 %

Awesome, thanks for the quick responses! I appreciate the lengthy response R.Flagg, it was very helpful! I definitely recall seeing SLP around but can't say I have seen much mentioned about DAC, I suppose I haven't been editing in Arma long enough to have been around for DAC. I've only fooled with UPSMON and eos. Currently have both implemented into my MP Mission I'm working on and was just looking into possibly using one over the other or, just as you delivered, another option that would be better. I'll check out SLP and see what I can do with it. Thanks again for your help!

---------- Post added at 12:02 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

DasKunk, have you been able to use the AI spawn Script by Spunfin with MP Missions as R.Flagg said he wasn't able to get it to fully work with it. I'm guess I should have mentioned I am designing the mission for multiplayer.

Both UPS and UPSMON are good, and I've used both of them many times. They do however require you to pre-place units/groups on the map and then add to their init lines. This isn't really a bad thing, but it leaves a bit less replayability for the person who actually made the mission. IN the sense that you'll get random patrols, but you're going to know which units, how many, etc.

You could use triggers and place markers instead, gives more optimization and is easier to control, e.g:

if (!isServer) exitWith {};
private ["_unit1"];
_spawnPos = _this select 0;
_upsArea = _this select 1;
_type = _this select 2;
switch (_type) do
{
// Iran forces
case 0:
{
	_group1 = createGroup OPFOR;
	_unit1 = _group1 createUnit ["O_Soldier_F", [(getMarkerPos _spawnPos) select 0,(getMarkerPos _spawnPos) select 1,1], [], random 2, "NONE"]; sleep 0.2;
	_unit2 = _group1 createUnit ["O_Soldier_lite_F", [(getMarkerPos _spawnPos) select 0,(getMarkerPos _spawnPos) select 1,1], [], random 2, "NONE"]; sleep 0.2;
	_unit3 = _group1 createUnit ["O_Soldier_SL_F", [(getMarkerPos _spawnPos) select 0,(getMarkerPos _spawnPos) select 1,1], [], random 2, "NONE"]; sleep 0.2;
	_unit4 = _group1 createUnit ["O_Soldier_AR_F", [(getMarkerPos _spawnPos) select 0,(getMarkerPos _spawnPos) select 1,1], [], random 2, "NONE"]; sleep 0.2;
};
// NATO forces 
case 1:
{
	_group1 = createGroup BLUFOR;
	_unit1 = _group1 createUnit ["B_Soldier_SL_F", [(getMarkerPos _spawnPos) select 0,(getMarkerPos _spawnPos) select 1,1], [], random 2, "NONE"]; sleep 0.2;
	_unit2 = _group1 createUnit ["B_soldier_M_F", [(getMarkerPos _spawnPos) select 0,(getMarkerPos _spawnPos) select 1,1], [], random 2, "NONE"]; sleep 0.2;
	_unit3 = _group1 createUnit ["B_Soldier_GL_F", [(getMarkerPos _spawnPos) select 0,(getMarkerPos _spawnPos) select 1,1], [], random 2, "NONE"]; sleep 0.2;
	_unit4 = _group1 createUnit ["B_soldier_repair_F", [(getMarkerPos _spawnPos) select 0,(getMarkerPos _spawnPos) select 1,1], [], random 2, "NONE"]; sleep 0.2;
};
};

[_unit1, _upsArea, "nofollow","delete:",240,"NOTRIGGER"] execVM "spawn\UPS.sqf";

Ya know, it's too bad all the active authors of these mentioned tools and/or the community with scripting capabilities don't collaborate and create a 1 stop shop tool. A tool that takes all the best features from each and puts them together and create the easiest, user-friendliest way possible for mission makers to use. Just a wishful thought lol :)

I second the use of the AI Script Pack, but like others said, it's all what you plan to do with it as all the scripts do some stuff a little bit differently. I've been using the AI Spawn Script pack for Reinforcement Helicopters, Paradrops and Militarizing areas in my MP mission without a problem. I'm also using SLP to spawn groups of 'Hunters' to chase the players around as well and it's working well.

No matter what you pick, it's likely none of the scripts are going to do exactly what you need, and the best bet is to test each of them, see what you like or don't like in them and if they'll work for you. There's nothing saying you have to pick only one either, if you need a little bit of something from each script, then you can use all of them.

Ya know, it's too bad all the active authors of these mentioned tools and/or the community with scripting capabilities don't collaborate and create a 1 stop shop tool. A tool that takes all the best features from each and puts them together and create the easiest, user-friendliest way possible for mission makers to use. Just a wishful thought lol

The tool to make the best is... you! That's part of what makes ArmA the greatest game! You get to customize the entire experience. Most will likely recommend you Mix & Match what you what. Try them all. I use both UPS and AI Spawn for my massive Map.

For me, I use UPS for random vehicle patrols. Works amazing for Heli's and Land Vehicles, and (mostly) Boats. Haven't tried the latest version, but you have to use a separate Marker for each non-vehicle Unit/Group or they will be in 'alert' mode. This system works great to have 100% of the Map being patrolled. No area is safe! Very organic. Downside is you have to pre-place all Units which will eat into your 144 limit. If you want realism, you'll want a setup so there is always a small chance of you being spotted or run into some random sentry patrol squad. As the "dungen-master" you do NOT want to KNOW how to manipulate your design and cheat yourself, either consciously or sub-consciously.

To get more congested areas populated like Camps, Town, etc., in concert with the UPS system, I set-up and use the AI Spawn system. Set your triggers so they spawn-in when you're far out (so you down see them blink-in) and you have a bustling beehive of activity everywhere and whenever you want. You can then have thousands of enemy around and stay under the max limit of 144. My Maps are about 70% - 80% full of Max. Then the remaining 20% is done on the actual mission-types itself. Then I merge the two. 1 Standard Map + 1 Mission type. Two versions of the Standard map. One for Day. One for night (10% - 20% of Max).

To polish it to a fine point, finish with specific Units and patrols for that truly 'real' feel! Set patrols and Units where they would be logical. Guarding high-value areas, routine jobs, etc. Patrolling X,Y, and Z ONLY. And so-on. Don't forget to make good use of random spawn-in, radius, etc. It takes time but it will be something you yourself can play and use over and over. Realistic, unpredictable and dynamic!

I could not get EOS to work the first time I tried. Did not try the others as I stopped when I found these two that worked for my style of Map/Missions. My 2 cents.

Edited by Goblin

Thanks for the tips everyone! The responses you all gave are very much appreciated! :)