kibot

[SP]Dynamic Universal War System (DUWS alpha0.1)

Hey everyone. New to the thread, but I have a couple of questions about DUWS I'm hoping someone can answer for me. I tried searching but came up empty, so I apologize if this has gone over before (it's hard to go through 105 pages of posts, some from a long time ago!!)

First of all, can someone tell me why my save game disappears whenever I load up Arma with different mods??? Seems that if I save a DUWS game, exit Arma, reload to play with different mods (for I&A or Wasteland, etc.), the next time I go back to DUWS it has no save games on file!! Really annoying as I play lots of different game types and having to start over again is a real bummer!!

Secondly, is this scenario really, really difficult? Or am I just doing something wrong? Usually I start with a team of 4 soldiers (including me) and run the side-mission to rescue the downed squad first thing. That gives me an extra 3 guys. Then I go for the first zone (usually a smaller one) but it's usually SWARMED with enemies!! Really difficult!! Last night I finally cleared the first zone, then got a message that my HQ Commander was killed, -> Game over. I reloaded and fast traveled back to the HQ and was attacked by like 6 waves of enemy squads (each of 3 - 4 guys) from all directions!!

I guess the question is, what am I doing wrong?? Is there a way to replenish the friendly soldiers who guard the base? (most of them got killed).

Thanks a lot for your help!!

This might have been posted before, sorry if so, but I ran in to a weird issue. Booted up DUWS today to continue my campaign and grabbed my squad and headed out to capture a zone. It was loaded with opposition, but none of them fired back. I could get right up to them, but they refused to fire. Same with my AI squad mates. The never fired a single shot even after me giving them explicit targets. Very odd feeling. :)

Danius, here are a few suggestions to lower the difficulty:

- take more than 4 soldiers, 8 minimum with mixed roles

- at startup, keep a high army power for you but lower the opfor one to a very low value => efficient taskforce will help you

- do it and run tactics. DUWS is spawning task forces for both side but does not respawn defense of zones. every kill is one guy less on the other side

- unlock JDAM and paradrop

Unit addon support:

Based on the original work of kibot, modified by Bigshot, modified by rlex and modified by me, here's a new version of DUWS that let you choose opfor from Aggressors or FSF Ennemies addon (if you have them of course):

https://mega.co.nz/#!44lxyJwY!Iy33mVaYZCm_S8Bv4IFff4fvBL9kHrQmIqedIBjRhBs

Because none of these factions have armored or air assets, I kept the CSAT assets in this case.

As usual, it's released under the original licence selected by kibot. Mission creators, rlex in particular, who has done a great job lately on this mission, are welcome to use it and enhanced it.

Beware that Aggresors and FSF Ennemies may still suffer from the sound bug caused by the 1.24 patch.

Thanks for the tips 1212PDMCDMPPM!!! Really appreciate it. I was going to the first zone with seven soldiers (4 + the 3 I saved from the first downed squad side-mission). Maybe I just need to be better at the game :-) What do you mean by "do it and run tactics?" Do you just mean play tactically/smart?

I still don't understand though why my main HQ was attacked from all sides. Honestly, I took down one group of 3 - 4 attackers and then as soon as I thought the coast was clear, another one would start firing at me form a new bearing. I restarted the DUWS mission and moved my HQ closer to a coast to at least minimize the number of directions I could get attacked from.

I still don't understand why my saved games keep disapearing though whenever I load up with different mods. That's a real killer for me though....

>Based on the original work of kibot, modified by Bigshot, modified by rlex and modified by me

Dat open source.

Anyway, i has not included them into main version yet because of two reasons:

1)Sound bugs still here. Bots firing at you without any sound? Hey, i love hardcore, but not THAT much.

2)Another pack of AK. Most people here using AK from sud_russians (btw, still without sound) or awesome Toadie's pack. Dropping another mod with another set of AKs... well, i dunno, it's just bloating armory. In fact, nothing really changes except enemies camo.

Some changelog for new version (will be released as soon as i clear all bugs):

1) Removed USAF pack for now. Too OP and buggy (still alpha)

2) Fixed mission spawning, sometimes mission spawned in complete random location after you choose it (thanks to my idiocy when i created new missions).

3) Since we use r3f logistics now, we can use their factory. So i added another mission with civilian Truck Boxer which can act as mobile factory, allowing you to build fortifications. Right now there is no limits at amount and type of objects you spawn) We played for ~8 hours straight with that new feature, and it completely changes the way you play. Alot of fun at maps with 2+km zones.

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:32 ----------

Ok, time for some updates. Apart from what i said in previous post, i also moved SATCOM to base/fob and reduced it price to 30CP.

Well, as usual:

Workshop version

Standalone version

Have fun!

@Danius: sorry, I was talking about "hit and run" tactics. Your HQ will always be attacked but the forces will be depend on the opfor army power. Put it to zero so you're not under pressure at start.

@rlex: it would be very nice of you to incorporate my code in the main DUWS branch. You're far more efficient than me in producing quality change to the mission so forking would be just bad.

I'm not sure I completly understood your explanations about AK (english is not my maternal language). Aggressors is using its own set of equipement and some unofficial patches are already available. FSF Ennemies is using sud_russians weapons and those are already patched now. If people want to use other weapons for themselves, they can do it through their prefered addon and get access via the armory.

Providing addon support for opfor is not removing other features and DUWS can still be played without addons. It's a way to have more flavour thant CSAT in Atlis, CSAT in Chenarus, CSAT in Takistan, CSAT in Sahrani...etc

Remember also that unit addons are using different type of armor. Killing opfor from Aggressors requires less bullets than the usual CSAT guys. It's not just the same units with a different camo.

Feel free to ask me if you see other potential issues that makes you reluctant to add it to the main version. I'm just here to try to improve DUWS. ;)

@1212PDMCDMPPM

i will look at it. Do you check for existence of mod before showing options at start?

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

Ok, i checked it. Looks awesome. One major problem: CAF_AG units do not have any AA launchers, making them completely useless against helis/planes.

@rlex: for now, I haven't been able to find a way to detect loaded addons (same issue you have with the F35-B I guess). Running the mission and selecting an unloaded OPFOR result in no ennemies spawned so the player should see really quick (insta-capture of all zones).

... except I just stumbled on that: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/activatedAddons

If I managed to make it work, I could switch back to CSAT if the appropriate addon is not detected (and tell it to the player)

For the lack of AA in Aggressors:

- this is part of the addon features: "Random chance of Strela launcher depending on faction". I don't know how it's really working...

- I assume that people using addons are a little bit aware of what are part of the addons (or not part of it). But may be I assume wrong... :)

If you have more appropriate unit addons in mind, just tell me and I'll update the unit selection part to suit your selection.

In my TODO list:

- may be move the unit definition code to a specific file and call it through execVM to get a cleaner code. What do you think about it ?

- I forgot side mission, I need to take care of those

- test the new activatedAddons command

I'm also realizing that I could move the opfor selection to the main mission menu instead of the mission paramaters. It's harder for me (never changed or updated a GUI element) but it could be worth it, especially if the activated addon detection is working !! (and, to go even further, we would be able to deactivate air assets for the player if, for example, Aggressors is selected).

One last thing I'd like to investigate, again if addon detection is working: check if MCC is active and if it's the case, define MCC zones and give the opfor groups to GAIA (the battlefield AI mod of MCC).

Yeah, that's what i thought about choosing enemy faction, it should be in main menu.

Side missions (at least those i wrote) use same createoppatrol/etc functions, so they should be working. Gonna check this right now.

I fear that activatedAddons is totally unreliable...

I don't have consitent result when I write to the RPT file the list of detected addons through this:

{if (! (["a3_", _x] call BIS_fnc_inString)) then {diag_log _x;}  }foreach activatedAddons;

Sometime I have all addons (except the BIS ones that are filtered), sometimes I have only the used addons (e.g. CAF_AG is not displayed until I spawn a CAF_AG unit...)

I switched back to read the faction and vehicle lists.

Here a small code you can execute directly in the console(in editor mode) to test it:

_aggdetected = 0;
_fsfdetected = 0;
_factionlist = "true" configClasses (configfile >> "CfgFactionClasses");
{
if ((["caf_ag", ConfigName _x] call BIS_fnc_inString) || (_aggdetected == 1)) then {_aggdetected = 1;}; 
if ((["AFR_OPFOR_REG", ConfigName _x] call BIS_fnc_inString) || (_fsfdetected == 1)) then {_fsfdetected = 1;};
}foreach _factionlist;

_F35detected = 0;
_vehiculelist = "true" configClasses (configfile >> "CfgVehicles");
{
if ((["CHO_F35", ConfigName _x] call BIS_fnc_inString) || (_F35detected == 1)) then {_F35detected = 1;}; 
}foreach _vehiculelist;

_dtext = format ["Aggressors: %1 - FSF Ennemies: %2 - F35: %3",_aggdetected,_fsfdetected,_F35detected];
player globalchat _dtext;

The small lag is due to a long list of cfgVehicles (if you have many addons). It's ok for units but it will be unusable if we need to detect more than one or two vehicule addons.

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 22:17 ----------

I don't understand... Suddenly this code is working... Really weird...

_aggdetected = 0;
_fsfdetected = 0;
_F35detected = 0;

{
if ((["caf_ag", _x] call BIS_fnc_inString) || (_aggdetected == 1)) then {_aggdetected = 1;}; 
if ((["fsf_eu", _x] call BIS_fnc_inString) || (_fsfdetected == 1)) then {_fsfdetected = 1;};
if ((["CHO_F35", _x] call BIS_fnc_inString) || (_F35detected == 1)) then {_F35detected = 1;}; 
}foreach activatedAddons;

_dtext = format ["Aggressors: %1 - FSF Ennemies: %2 - F35: %3",_aggdetected,_fsfdetected,_F35detected];
player globalchat _dtext;

Edited by 1212PDMCDMPPM

We only need to detect one class from addon, actually. Disabling air supports is wrong idea - list of supports/requests is array, and if we remove one of those supports, list will be wrecked. Maybe we can just block them, but without removal from array?

Related missions: they (mostly) works. There is sometimes 1-2 CSAT units in here, however. For example, assasinate mission.

Also, big bug: enemy task force is _always_ CSAT.

Also, big bug: enemy task force is _always_ CSAT.

Did you check with different army power ?

If I take the Eastern Europe as example:

duws_warcom_patrol_010 = ["CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK47","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK74","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_GL","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_PKM"];
duws_warcom_patrol_040 = ["CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK47","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK74","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_GL","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_PKM","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_RPK74","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_RPG","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK47","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK47"];
duws_warcom_patrol_065 = ["CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK47","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK74","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_GL","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_PKM","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_RPK74","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_RPG","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK47","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK47","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_RPG"];
duws_warcom_patrol_100 = (configfile >> "CfgGroups" >> "East" >> "OPF_F" >> "Mechanized" >> "OIA_MechInfSquad");
duws_warcom_patrol_135 = (configfile >> "CfgGroups" >> "East" >> "OPF_F" >> "Mechanized" >> "OIA_MechInf_AT");

Only the last two are back to CSAT, mainly because there's no mech or armored assets. Do you have any advice on what should we do in those cases ?

In the meantime, I'll check what I can do for the side missions.

rlex,

1. Can you tell which mission it is in which the player can acquire the creation factory? (The mission description might help)

2. Can I spawn a creation factory in the form of a container box from the request units dialog? If so, what code will I have to enter in the vehicle.sqf?

Alright, can you guys tell me if this many enemy contacts is normal?!? It just seems impossible to me.

I've completed one side mission and captured the first enemy zone. I've established an FOB inside the zone captured. I am trying to make my way across non-zoned territory to get to a second side mission and I encounter this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19753498/2014-07-25_00001.jpg (191 kB)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19753498/2014-07-25_00002.jpg (199 kB)

That's like 20 enemy contacts at ranges from 150 - 500 meters, all aggro'ed and all firing at my position!! What am I doing wrong here?!?!

OPFOR army power was at 0. Default setting.

OPFOR army power was at 0. Default setting.

I play duws with my brother and the amount of enemies is perfect for us, it is a challenge but this is war ;)

Don't get me wrong, I love a challenge as well. However, what is shown in the images is just excessive. I was travelling across undisputed and friendly occupied territory. I was no where near an enemy zone. With a squad of 8 we were engaged by 20+ foot mobiles from distances of up to and greater than 500 meters out. By the time we took down 5 or 6 enemy contacts, my squad mates were already shouting that they were out of ammo. And these enemies are deadly accurate at 500 meters, while my scope is swaying all over the place.

It seems that the friendly units have SIGNIFICANTLY worse accuracy than the enemy units as well, which is also frustrating.

Danius, are you using any AI addons ? I'm just trying to pinpoint why you can get so many opfor in such a short amount of time.

About accuracy: you can setup ennemy and bluefor skill at startup.

May be.

- AI radio net (only for servers and single-player).

When a group learns enough about an enemy, it will broadcast information about that enemy over radio to all friendly

groups within a configured range. The info is sent with a delay, so to prevent breaking breaking stealth, quick takedowns

are required. Sending and receiving groups must have radios. No waypoints are set, no orders given, just information sent,

default game AI decides what to do with it.

Try to disable it and check any possible difference.

You can also run MCC as addon and check if half the map is suddenly on your tail. Do some comparisons with and without ASR AI. Check also how it is configured.

Thanks, I noticed that in the description when sending you the link as well. Haha. Could be that the first enemy zone that got hit radioed every single other unit on the map to come help them. That would make sense too since the location where I was attacked lies directly between the enemy zone I captured and other enemy zones to the south. It's unfortunate I would have to play without that mod since it does add some cool things to the AI.

I'll try running a new game without that mod and see if that helps and/or see if I can modify the settings of the ASR AI mod.

Thanks so much for your help 1212. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Perhaps i should revive my old thread about DUWS being incompatible with ANY AI mods. This includes AGM AI tweaks as well (i know many of you plays with AGM installed).

As for my party, we have our own subset of mods, but we was forced to remove some parts of AGM due to compatibility problems.

Biggest problem here - your officer can run away from base. Almost ANY AI mod wrecks behavior of officer.

Short answer: do not use any AI mods with duws. Period. Even if i wanted, i cannot fix this. Yeah, they make AI less dumb and so on, but they break duws gameplay, that's it.

---------- Post added at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was at 22:31 ----------

Did you check with different army power ?

If I take the Eastern Europe as example:

duws_warcom_patrol_010 = ["CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK47","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK74","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_GL","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_PKM"];
duws_warcom_patrol_040 = ["CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK47","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK74","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_GL","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_PKM","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_RPK74","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_RPG","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK47","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK47"];
duws_warcom_patrol_065 = ["CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK47","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK74","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_GL","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_PKM","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_RPK74","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_RPG","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK47","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_AK47","CAF_AG_EEUR_R_RPG"];
duws_warcom_patrol_100 = (configfile >> "CfgGroups" >> "East" >> "OPF_F" >> "Mechanized" >> "OIA_MechInfSquad");
duws_warcom_patrol_135 = (configfile >> "CfgGroups" >> "East" >> "OPF_F" >> "Mechanized" >> "OIA_MechInf_AT");

Only the last two are back to CSAT, mainly because there's no mech or armored assets. Do you have any advice on what should we do in those cases ?

In the meantime, I'll check what I can do for the side missions.

Oh, so that's how it works - there is thresholds for certain level of army power.

Perhaps we can rewrite 100-135 levels to include arma (marid) and t-100 tank as well for higher level.

I also think about rewriting base fortifications, because in current state you get 3 stationary GMG and 1 static titan AT launcher - this leaves you open to IFV/Tank attacks from one side. Or, to be more precise, completely useless against them.

As for armored units, CSAT can be left here, unless we can replace crew people.

---------- Post added at 22:44 ---------- Previous post was at 22:40 ----------

Danius, are you using any AI addons ? I'm just trying to pinpoint why you can get so many opfor in such a short amount of time.

About accuracy: you can setup ennemy and bluefor skill at startup.

From what i observed, skill != accuracy. It's two completely different parameters. Not sure if duws manages accuracy as well, but from ArmA point of view, that's different variables. Yeah, even with recruit skill level CAF aggressors is pretty good at shooting and underslug grenade launchers, most of time they kill me is one-shot kill.

@rlex: for level 100-135, do you know how to put troops in a marid or tank on spawn ? The other solution would be for me to produce a tiny addon that add mech and armored squad definition for Aggressors and FSF Ennemies. May be it's even possible to add it directly in the mission pbo. Honestly, this kind of knowledge is beyond my current arma skills :) .

Remember that for really bigzone, DUWS is also spawning air assets (cf createzone.sqf).

For defense of the base, I always wanted to get some extra layers of defense I could buy. But it's probably too complex for DUWS which is a mission that we can play without reading a long manual (and that's great !!).

As for skill and accuracy, I can't remember the effect of the latest AI change (it was something like 3-6 month ago ?).:confused:

I don't remember at having to fight one-shoter aggressors. May be the last few patches changed something...

To update side missions:

I identified that we only need to define a regular riffleman, light AT, squadleader and an officer to be able to spawn non-CSAT unit.

Missions affected are:

- armory

- recover

- roulette

- steal

- target

- transportheli

I have an issue with doordie where I missed the officer spawn. I need to triple check the code.

Quick question rlex: in about 3-4 days, I won't be able to code or update the mission for 10 days approx. You're already one version ahead of me. How do you want to manage it ? You merge my code as it is now and we'll solve the side mission and 100-135 taskforce issuse later (honestly, we played countless of hours like this and accepted the few CSAT appearing - that's why I never took the time to solve that)? You prefer to wait ?

We need to find a way so that we can contribute, ideally at the same time, to different parts of DUWS.

We need to find a way so that we can contribute, ideally at the same time, to different parts of DUWS.

Well, i have github.