kibot

[SP]Dynamic Universal War System (DUWS alpha0.1)

@Corsa1r: The VAS read the config files when giving you the list of items, that means that you don't have anything to do, the new weapons will be available in the armory. Regarding the editor, you have to open the mission folder, not the .pbo.

@bugatti: I don't know what this script do. If you mean battlefield cleanup, everytime you rest, the ragdolls will get deleted. I still have to do something for the destroyed vehicles.

Basically that script delete unit/vehicle every 5 min. I used it since I usually forget to rest at the base but using the save from the game (I'm playing at regular with unlimited save :)) But when using it I have a weird problem. Sometimes, the task does not disappear from the map windows when completed. It happen only when playing rescue friendly patrol side mission. After rescued the team, a windows pop up telling the task completed and give me CP. But when I open the map, that task still there except now there is no more "set as current task" option. I don't if it BIS bug or that script causing it. Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

Some guys asked me to share my version of DUWS, and here it is...

This version still needs to be hosted local, but still got some MP improovement like an ACRE Radio Box at the Mainbase from the beginning on. This box will also be avaliable when you fortify your FOBs. Next thing, i got the =BTC= Revive working and a mapcleaner-script (sorry, don't know who wrote it...).

You can download it here:

http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/31827159/file.html

Is there any way to put the name of the map that is configured for each mission in the ArmA 3 mission list so I know which one is which? Hard to tell what is what. If more maps come out that are converted, I'm not sure how to tell which one I'm loading.

Be gentle, I am very new to ArmA 3.

Thanks!

Hey guys. Kibot, thanks for this great mission, it's awesome and I have spent many an hour playing it. I have a question for anyone willing to help. I would like to add custom weapons from mods into this mission for myself.

Now I would assume I would have to somehow put the weapons in a crate somewhere on the map?

Is there anyway I could add them to the Virtual Ammo Box System (Armory), at the base?

Also, I've noticed I can't open the mission in the editor.

Is there a program i need to unpack it so I can edit it? Thanks alot.

Usually if you add a mod you won't see it in VAS until you restart the game. Loading from a save might not work. That has been my experience at least.

Thank you both, and yes that was the issue, everything is working great now!!! I am currently using steam version of the mission and was wondering how to add more slots to the VAS for more loadouts...Do I need to download the regular extractor and modify a config file to do that? Because I can't seem to find where steam workshop stores files. Sorry for these stupid questions.

Edited by Corsa1r

Some guys asked me to share my version of DUWS, and here it is...

This version still needs to be hosted local, but still got some MP improovement like an ACRE Radio Box at the Mainbase from the beginning on. This box will also be avaliable when you fortify your FOBs. Next thing, i got the =BTC= Revive working and a mapcleaner-script (sorry, don't know who wrote it...).

You can download it here:

http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/31827159/file.html

has this been tested to make certain that the added scripting is not going to throw off lots of rpt errors when you run the mission?..just asking

Edited by BigShot

Hey guys, I'm starting work on DUWS this evening. I wanted to get some opinions / suggestions on the stuff I'll be implementing (I'm hoping to get at least some of it in the official release):

• Add squad leaders to each platoon (No reason for Alpha 1-1-1 to be the only squad leader). Also add more variety in the starting setup choices (reduces need for armory early on).

• Add radio commands to high command squads for different waypoints (e.g: S&D, enter vehicle, dismount, guard). I already have this coded, just need to put it in this system.

• Save all players supports and position when exiting a game (Players currently spawn at Main Base without any supports upon reconnect).

• Improve side mission multiplayer compatibility. Let everyone start and finish side missions, and sync task updates alerts across all players.

• Make enemies occupy and patrol towns if they spawn near one (objective near a town? They will be patrolling inside buildings, will make for some great urban fights).

• Add a second stage of FoB fortifcation. More expensive, spawns bunkers and sandbags.

Everything above is pretty trivial to get done, so any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks :).

Also wanted to comment on the revive system that someone implemented above.... That doesn't really make sense for this system I don't think. When you die, you respawn back at base and have to carry on the operation from there, or regroup, which works really nicely with the feeling of war.

Hi Timsk!

Nice to see that someone is using the open source opportunity ;)

I had some ideas for better sp and mp experience:

- when rescuing someone, the target should sometimes need medical assistance, or should be unconscious.

- for destroying missions, there could be other targets than radio towers: Houses, stash boxes, vehicles, etc.

- randomising the side missions by mixing the already present types (sabotage+steal,target+rescue,destroy+rescue)

- add more side mission types (recon, transport, patrol)

- you could add TPW mods, for populating the island with civilians (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?164304-TPW-MODS-enhanced-realism-immersion-for-Arma-3-SP)

- The commander role (starting/ending side missions, purchasing support, etc) should be transferable (by voting, by password use, or given by the current owner).

- The saved games should be password protected.

- there should be a possibility to arrange players to teams.

I won't be adding any new side mission myself unfortunately. I did say this tho:

Improve side mission multiplayer compatibility. Let everyone start and finish side missions, and sync task updates alerts across all players.
- you could add TPW mods, for populating the island with civilians (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...-for-Arma-3-SP)

Good idea, I'll add it to my list.

- there should be a possibility to arrange players to teams.

Could you expand on what you mean? Do you mean players can join other players squads? Or give players the ability to join the Opfor?

- The saved games should be password protected.

Not something I'm willing to do, sorry.

Edited by timsk

Could you expand on what you mean? Do you mean players can join other players squads? Or give players the ability to join the Opfor?

Yes i mean, the players should be able to create squads with only players in it.

Opfor/Bluefor playability would be also nice, but i think coop pvp is harder to achieve, and there could be unforeseen problems.

Yes i mean, the players should be able to create squads with only players in it.

Opfor/Bluefor playability would be also nice, but i think coop pvp is harder to achieve, and there could be unforeseen problems.

Great idea. I've had player squad swapping working in my own missions before, not sure what issues it might cause in this, but I'll take a look at it. Added to the list!

PvP would be great with this system. But that would be a lot of work (on top of the other bits I'm doing), so not something I'll be looking at.

Good news Timsk,

I was wondering how much work it would take to get this mission running for dedicated server support. Since i'm kinda new to the mod scene of Arma 3 myself I have not really a clue about it but I'm a fast learner ;)

Do you have any idea about this and what would be needed to get this going ? I also have a small dedicated server online to test it on btw.

Nevertheless great to hear that you're continuing this mission on the open source front and lets hope your stuff gets implemented in the official releases as well. I for one will surely test and play your additions, especially the option to save supports when exiting and saving, that is screwing me over at the moment and after 1 save I'm depending on my coop buddies to get the supports out and ask for heli taxis.

I don't really want to work directly on the dedicated server support. I'm more than happy to help out with it tho.

If someone wants to give it a go, post any questions here (or PM me) and I'll help out if I can.

The best starting point would be to host a dedicated server, connect to it and see what breaks. Your main problem is going to be that isServer returns true for a dedicated server and for a player host, this will be fine for map setup (spawning enemies and such) but anything that is related to the player will break.

Some of the things I'm fixing will actually make this easier. For instance, I will be making side missions work for all players (not just the host), this means that this won't need to be fixed for a dedicated server, as it will not rely on the host being a player.

The other main issue will be the map configuration. You will have to handle that separately as currently it relies on the host player interacting with a GUI.

Basically, anything that relies on the detecting if the current player is the host of the server will most likely break on a dedicated server. The best fix for this would be to attempt to make the functionality in question work for all players (not just the host player), this will have a knock on effect of fixing it on dedicated servers.

Edited by timsk

Kilbot was going to be adding Fast Travel to FOB's (from HQ and between FOB's as well)...maybe you could try implementing that. Should probably keep the cost very low for now (maybe 1cp) since everyone connected in MP has to share the same cp.

That sounds... terrible. Logistics is a big part of why I enjoy this mission, being a milsim, I imagine lots of others would agree. Fast travel is a big no-no for me. Sorry!

On the other hand, if it's something a lot of people want, I don't mind putting it in. It's basically a 'teleport', which is super easy to make...

Edit: There is already an option to fast-travel using the helicopter transport. It will teleport to your position, then fly you where you want to go. Did you want to just be able to teleport to a location for a low cost? Seems like it could make the game very, very in-balanced

Edited by timsk

My opinion is teleport or not (im voting for not) this must be handled globally because of the timing.

Also another request: Please set the heli taxi fast travel to setable when starting the game.

Also another request: Please set the heli taxi fast travel to setable when starting the game.

It already is.

That sounds... terrible. Logistics is a big part of why I enjoy this mission, being a milsim, I imagine lots of others would agree. Fast travel is a big no-no for me. Sorry!

On the other hand, if it's something a lot of people want, I don't mind putting it in. It's basically a 'teleport', which is super easy to make...

Edit: There is already an option to fast-travel using the helicopter transport. It will teleport to your position, then fly you where you want to go. Did you want to just be able to teleport to a location for a low cost? Seems like it could make the game very, very in-balanced

I don't see an issue of imbalance using Fast Travel to FOB's...I mean we're talking about a mission which is played against the AI which actually spawns/respawns into strategic locations mid-mission...so if the bots were setup to play that way then I think it's a good idea...Or you could simply make a respawn menu that would allow the dead player the option of choosing to spawn at any captured FOB or default HQ.

You have to remember that there's a bunch of non-hardcore players out there (who do not post on these forums at all) who simply don't have the will or time to spend 10 minutes getting back to the frontline players after getting killed. I tried introducing this mission to my group of players and they hated it...partly because of MP issues within the mission coding but mostly because they hated getting killed by god-like bots and then having to respawn 8km away back at base all the time. I don't mind it too much personally but there are many who will simply not play this after they try it for the first time...especially for those who are a bit short on gaming time in their daily lives :-)

...anyway not trying to force the issue at all, just wanted to express my findings about it.

Or you could simply make a respawn menu that would allow the dead player the option of choosing to spawn at any captured FOB or default HQ.

This sounds like a great compromise. The ability to pick which FoB to respawn at would be great I think. It would also make the choice of where to put FoB's more important.

About to launch a big assault on a cluster of 3 large enemy zones? Put a FoB nearby and move some vehicles in beforehand! That way, if you die, you can respawn at a FoB and get back into the fight. This keeps dying a scary thing to happen, but reduces the frustration.

I also like the idea of spawning a few ATV's with a FoB, that could be real handy. What do you think?

Should be able to hook in the =BTC=Revive system to work with FoB's. I'll take a look into it once I've made a dent in the current list.

Awesome ideas btw guys, keep them coming! :).

About to launch a big assault on a cluster of 3 large enemy zones? Put a FoB nearby and move some vehicles in beforehand! That way, if you die, you can respawn at a FoB and get back into the fight. This keeps dying a scary thing to happen, but reduces the frustration.

Great idea! This will keep off the Rambos, and real cooperation will be a must!

One more:

Scaleable enemys(quality,quantity)

Many,easy for target practice

Many,hard for hardcore gameplay

Scaleable enemys(quality,quantity)

I sent kibot a message about this. I'd like to improve the scaling of enemies based on AP, how well the players are doing and such.

Sometimes, the enemy can start with tanks and APC's. Then you won't see anything but infantry when you rolling around in helos with 5 fireteams.

By the way, is anyone else working on this system? I've seen a few posts of people doing snippets and small pieces, just wondering if there's any other coders active?

Hey timsk, if you are looking for suggestions, you might want to check the steam workshop page of the DUWS and the discussions here. I get a lot of suggestions and bug reports here on a daily basis.