Sign in to follow this  
KingScuba

Helicopter Main Rotor blades lock up if damaged too much (IE Missle hit)

While we all took this as given it seems it may not happen (which is absolute BS imo, I'd run the game with 10fps lost just for that FM).

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?135549-Arma-3-amp-TOH&p=2166652&viewfull=1#post2166652

Bis confirmed.

I'm fairly certain that it's just a visual glitch as the rotors remain fully functional even at 99% damage to them, and when they reach full damage they disappear on those helicopters. They've recently added the ability for the rotor to be cut off when you clip a structure with it. When the engine is damaged, that has nothing to do with the rotors and you're allowed to autorotate, same with turning your engine off manually and running out of fuel. If you want to try out damaging various specific parts of the helicopter without relying on the missile hits you can enter the following in the debug console:.

I said that if it is a visual glitch, and mrotors take maximum damage, then the 3 points are probably the issue. If the Mrotor blows up and is a visual glitch, then the AA is too strong, or the helicopter is too weak. A medium helicopter should be able to take 2 rockets before exploding, especially since the current system either auto locks or you guide it in manually...

Heli damage seems broken. Every time I got hit playing Domination, it was insta death. I was ejected out of the heli, it blew and I came falling to the ground. I was doing this purposely over and over again and no matter where I was hit from same thing. I would just be flying along and bang falling to death animation. Something is seriously wrong here.

I use that to take down enemy helicopters. Get a big sniper rifle, wait for the helo to hover or pause a bit, and then shoot the main rotor shaft and down it goes.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?160008-Helicopter-Main-Rotor-blades-lock-up-if-damaged-too-much-%28IE-Missle-hit%29&p=2451257&viewfull=1#post2451257 answers it perfectly.

Full damage to the rotor means the rotor-blades are gone, smashed, etc...

One rather big problem is the visual representation :confused_o:

Second one is the hit-points and their tweaking and balancing (so e.g. one AA rocket does or does not blow the rotor away completely...truth is only Mi-48 can survive the direct missile hit at the moment)

thanks for the confirmation oukej. I've updated the first page as well as the title.

alright, so we're back at the following 2 issues from what I understand then

1) The damage blast from the rockets spread too far

2) The MROT damage tolerance is too low.

Edited by KingScuba

Yea, helicopter take hits from AA all the time and either fly away or preform an emergency landing. But for the sake of realism make sure only the helicopter who can actually take hits from AA have this ability.

---------- Post added at 21:42 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

You guys could vote for this which would have "engine1" and "engine2" status shown to the player. Which means separate damage in some cases for each engine. http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12286

Yes PetraCephas , I'm getting the same problem with any helicopter on a map that I had working stably with no issues!!! I have been trying to figure out why for the past 8 - 10 hrs..... going to get some rest and will continue tomorrow.

I have already tried disabling all my mods and saving/repack/pbo and nothing! I really do not think it's your mods.

If anyone can figure something out please help us! SOS!

0.74 update has caused many pop up, "Error Undefined variable in expression:"

I've tried everything and no success....

Also noticed on another map that helicopter can fly without any MROT problems but Mi-48 and Comanche rockets will not lock on in pilot/ manual fire mode but will lock in gunner position...

---------- Post added at 06:29 ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 ----------

I just found this and will have a closer look tomorrow, man those //AHOYWORLD dudes are badass.

http://www.ahoyworld.co.uk/topic/1769-heli-crash-at-spawn/

It has been changed so that now a helicopter falls down like a stone only when its rotor-blades collide with an object.

You should be now able to auto-rotate in almost any case when you get hit by an AA.

(Dev build atm)

It has been changed so that now a helicopter falls down like a stone only when its rotor-blades collide with an object.

You should be now able to auto-rotate in almost any case when you get hit by an AA.

(Dev build atm)

Awesome. :)

Now all we need is a nice visual effect when the blades are destroyed. (Like in TKOH.)

;)