Sign in to follow this  
tpw

TPW LOS: AI line of sight system

thank you for the update! Gonna test it soon. :)

Tested the same kind of CQB type thing we've been discussing on the Dev Branch AI discussion. Much improved with your mod! Debugging on - pretty much as soon as AI rounds the corner of building "blue ball" and they shoot me down!

Good work and thanks again

...now if we can only get the AI to search the building I can hide in..... Has anyone modded that...??

Edited by petek

Tested the same kind of CQB type thing we've been discussing on the Dev Branch AI discussion. Much improved with your mod! Debugging on - pretty much as soon as AI rounds the corner of building "blue ball" and they shoot me down!

Good work and thanks again

...now if we can only get the AI to search the building I can hide in..... Has anyone modded that...??

Look..

In ARMA2CO most of us had a combination of ASR_AI and TPW_CAS (LoS embedded)..and every developer has kept

out of the other's feet regarding features.

The TPW_CAS handled bot reaction times under fair-for-player conditions (No cheat magic player known position)

and AI suppression that forced AI to behave differently under fire and losing skills/morale while suppressed

The ASR_AI mod handled other features as dynamic AI skillz based on their class (Proff.military units as SF had really better-still different- stats for lets say insurgents or civilians)

Handled lots and lots other stuff in AI's behavior (i.e. AI throwing grenades/picking extra ammo depending class etc..)

and also AI was able to search buildings.

There was also other developers who planned Major stuff regarding AI and i hope we 'll see even more top AI mods or 1 united-developers-AI-mod for ARMA3

Edited by GiorgyGR

The latest version is a great improvement. AI are much deadlier in CQC now and not as jittery as in the previous version. Thanks for continuing to work on this!

The Dropbox link for version 1.02 is broken. Can you please fix it?

Great mod, I love it.

Thanks for spotting that! Fixed now.

By the way, I knocked up a quick comparison of vanilla vs TPW LOS AI: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/tpw_los.mp4 (3Mb, H264 mp4)

Edited by tpw

The mod is working perfectly. AI turning speed at close range is very believable now. However I noticed that it is impossible to sneak up on AI from the back anymore. They always detect you even when they are not looking at you and using walk speed. I think thats present in Vanilla as well?

TPW LOS allows AI to detect enemies in a 120 degree field of view. It certainly doesn't give them eyes in the back of their head or improve their other senses in any way. If you run it in debug you'll see a blue ball appear above any AI that has LOS to an enemy. These balls won't appear if you are not in the AI's field of view. As you suggest, any improvements to the ability of AI to detect you sneaking up on them are due to BI, not me.

Ive noticed that friendlies are happier on the trigger even when told to hold fire. It seems that without the mod they maintain a slightly better discipline ;) Bar that, a great mod. Thank you for your continuing support!

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Ive noticed that friendlies are happier on the trigger even when told to hold fire. It seems that without the mod they maintain a slightly better discipline ;) Bar that, a great mod. Thank you for your continuing support!

Thanks for that. Yep you're right, the forced fire command (dofire) will override a hold fire command. I will work on adding a condition.

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:11 ----------

Thanks yet again mate.

TPW LOS v1.03 test1: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_LOS_103.zip

Changes:

• LOS calculations are not applied to units given the hold fire command (combatmode == "BLUE")

@GvsE, this might help with your squad AI firing when given hold fire commands. In my testing though, with or without TPW LOS, units tend to go out of hold fire if less than about 20-30m from a visible target.

hey man, finally i had some time to have a longer playthrough and it seems like they still go out of "hold fire" mode too quickly. I usually set them to "stealth" and order to "hold fire," and I think that with vanilla game they maintain somewhat better discipline. Still, an indispensable mod!

TPW LOS v1.03 test1: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_LOS_103.zip

Changes:

• LOS calculations are not applied to units given the hold fire command (combatmode == "BLUE")

Ehm..Sorry tpw..

If calculations not applying to units under "Hold fire" ..that also probably affects their ability to spot enemies.

So if i m trying to make a stealth approach (giving them order to "hold fire") automatically 'rules are changing'

This doesn't sounds to me as positive feature-unless i got it all wrong

That's why it's a test version :)

You are right though, in "hold" a unit will not undergo LOS calculations, and will just default to the vanilla AI behaviour. I might change it so that they will still get LOS, but will not open fire. Thanks for the heads up.

TBH, I think recent changes to CQB behaviour in the vanilla AI might render this addon unneccesary pretty soon. I hope so!

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 ----------

TPW LOS v1.03 test2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_LOS_103.zip

Changes:

• Units in hold fire will still have LOS calculations applied, but will (should) not open fire

As always, if the FSM decides the unit wants to fire, then it will, regardless of this addon.

For some reason this is the only mod by you, TPW, that simply refuses to run for me. I'm running it with CBA only and debug mode on, no spheres, nothing... can't figure this one out.

On the other hand all your other mods are running fine (and adding fantastically to the gameplay, though the latest dev build has made the AI so quick and deadly... it's starting to rival real players in difficulty)

For some reason this is the only mod by you, TPW, that simply refuses to run for me. I'm running it with CBA only and debug mode on, no spheres, nothing... can't figure this one out.

On the other hand all your other mods are running fine (and adding fantastically to the gameplay, though the latest dev build has made the AI so quick and deadly... it's starting to rival real players in difficulty)

Hmm. Are you at least getting the start hint?

EDIT: Ah ha! Tracked down the problem, an issue with the config. Please try redownloading https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_LOS_103.zip.

Edited by tpw

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

20130915: THIS MOD IS NOW PART OF TPW MODS AND IS NO LONGER SEPARATELY MAINTAINED. PLEASE USE THE TPW MODS THREAD TO REPORT BUGS AND REQUEST FEATURES.