Sign in to follow this  
DarkLight

Snipers

As some of you might know i really like snipers, i have a little question about them.

If i am a sniper, and i have to take out a human that isn't moving, where should i aim?

Most obvious to me is the head, a headshot is almost always deadly and you'll get serious braindamage from it even if you survive. But where on the head do you exactly have to aim?

Can a bullet kill someone instantly just by hitting him in the chest without hitting the heart?

Plz answer my question.

ps: No, i'm not gonna kill someone...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Aug. 03 2002,17:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As some of you might know i really like snipers, i have a little question about them.

If i am a sniper, and i have to take out a human that isn't moving, where should i aim?

Most obvious to me is the head, a headshot is almost always deadly and you'll get serious braindamage from it even if you survive.  But where on the head do you exactly have to aim?

Can a bullet kill someone instantly just by hitting him in the chest without hitting the heart?  

Plz answer my question.

ps: No, i'm not gonna kill someone...<span id='postcolor'>

depends ....

if you hit the chest without hitting the heart there are many chance for the victim to don't die instantly , but she can suffer more or less silently , depends of where you hit

If you can see his face, the "kill zone" on the face goes from...

Is just from the oustide side of one eye, to the outside side of another. Just above the eye, and just below the eye. Now imagine that into a box going around both eyes. Then another box for the nose. So basically, the eyes, between the eyes, and the nose are kill shots. Rendering them dead within seconds.

If you are on one of ther sides, aim for the middle. Right where the brain is. Side shots are easy becuse there is normally a lot of room to work with. Well, more than front or back.

If you see the back of their head, shoots dead center.

If I remember correctly, what I just said is true.

I thought i read something about the back of the head,shooting the lower part of the back of the head,dealing instant dead,and giving the target no chance for even a reflex.

But basically,whenever your bullet hits the brain he's toast afaik...

Ya, but basically as long as you get them in the head, they are screwed anyway.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Frisbee @ Aug. 03 2002,19:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I thought i read something about the back of the head,shooting the lower part of the back of the head,dealing instant dead,and giving the target no chance for even a reflex.<span id='postcolor'>

You are talking about cerebellum or small brain - part of the human brain that controls motor functions. A hit in that area is instantly fatal and incapacitating.

Despite this fact, from what I've read, military snipers are trained to shoot at center mass, not at the head. Nothing like a sucking chest wound to slow down a unit... SOP for law enforcement snipers (SWAT etc.) might be different.

between the eyes or a medula oblongata shot for counter terrorist or SWAT snipers, and military snipers (when they arent assigned a specific person to eliminate) will do anything that will slow down, freak out, or demoralize a squad or platoon. Like in FMJ, where the sniper shoots the guy in the leg, then shoots him again in the other leg, and then shoots the guy who comes out to help him in the leg. Or sometimes it doesnt even matter where you hit them, but in what order you hit them. Take, for example, Gunnery Sergeant Hathcock, who decimated an entire company. What did he do first? He hit the point man. Then he hit the rear guard. Then he picked off anyone who ran or stuck their heads out of the grass

AFAIK, SWATS prefer shooting to the face area described above. One time, there was an incident where a gril was kidnapped and the kidanpper was chased by police. after some pursuit, the suspect's car flipped, and the girl managed to wiggle out. the suspect then tried to chase her with gun in hand, and SWAT sniper shot him in the head. (it's been long time since I saw the interview with that sniper)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Like in FMJ, where the sniper shoots the guy in the leg, then shoots him again in the other leg, and then shoots the guy who comes out to help him in the leg.<span id='postcolor'>

waste of bullets, and not a crippling injury. better hit the man in his belly/center mass. you cant risk breaking your cover

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Aug. 03 2002,18:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Aug. 03 2002,17:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As some of you might know i really like snipers, i have a little question about them.

Most obvious to me is the head, a headshot is almost always deadly and you'll get serious braindamage from it even if you survive.  But where on the head do you exactly have to aim?

Plz answer my question.

ps: No, i'm not gonna kill someone...<span id='postcolor'>

depends ....

if you hit the chest without hitting the heart there are many chance for the victim to don't die instantly , but she can suffer more or less silently , depends of where you hit<span id='postcolor'>

she? having some girl trouble are we? biggrin.gif

do snipers have ethics? like shooting medics, or stuff like that?

same as everyone else. rules of engagement are for all soldiers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Despite this fact, from what I've read, military snipers are trained to shoot at center mass, not at the head. <span id='postcolor'>

The same goes for regular infantry soldiers. The centre of visible mass should be aimed at. I would rather hit a person than aim for the head and miss. Besides, at distance, the head is a very small target and is quite hard to hit because it is hard to distinguish (even through a scope), especially if the person is wearing cam' paint. If the person is moving the task is even more difficult. Besides, a chest shot from a .308 round is almost a sure kill. If the bulllet doesn't kill you outright, there is always the after effects of blood loss and shock. Don't forget, a screaming wounded soldier has a more demoralizing effect on the enemy than a dead one.

Tyler

all this assuming that you see the full body of the soldier.

soldiers that are moving the right way pose a very difficult target, with a very small signature.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't forget, a screaming wounded soldier has a more demoralizing effect on the enemy than a dead one.

<span id='postcolor'>

Yea i remeber reading, that in Vietnam, the US special forces(if i remeber right)after ambushing some NV's the special forces retreted and they put some special mines down, that when stepped on, when send out a lot a steel balls, and was designed not to kill, but to injure the persuers.Becuase a injured soldier would scream for mercy, so a soldier would have to stop and help his injured commrade.So it made it less soldiers that the Special forces had to deal with.

Where as, a dead soldier, they would just leave, and continue on, and come back later, and burry him.

So its a good idea. smile.gif

Well the only military experiance I have had was Army Cadets, but I have read enough to know that yes, aim for the cheast, its the biggest target, so least likely to miss. Again, try and wound the soldiers, but with using minimal bullets. Make sure they arn't walking wounded. That way, it will take two soldiers to move him, a MEDVAC to take them out, and quite alot of time in hospital. If you kill them, the soldier can be left there until the battle is over. If they are wounded, men have to stop fighting to move the wounded. Look at it like this, if 5 soldiers of a platoon of 20 were wounded, it would take a further 10 men to move them and a helicopter(if they packed them in). For a short while, the platoon would only be able to field 5 fighting soldiers! With all this said, I would prefer it if I was in the two way firing range that I was killed, rather than cripled or made brain dead.

thats the whole philosophy behind multiple anti-personnel muntions.

think about a land mine. all it gotta do is remove a leg from you, thats all. then you'll become a liability on your unit.

thats also the reason most modern armies have a very developed system of med-evac.

I heard that it doesn't matter on the head where you shoot because the head will kind of explode or flatten like a rotton pumpkin. Maybe that only applies to large .cal rounds, but I also heard that smaller rounds will bounce around inside the skull for a second, turning the brain to mush.

ive witnessed an ocassion when a guy was hit with AK-47 in the head and the bullet bounced from his bones. it hit near the temple, went out of the eye socket, through the nose and back through the second socket.the guy lived. and retained sight in one eye

There are plenty of crazy acounts of people been hit in the head and surviving. There was a NVA Colonel who was shot in the head at the battle of Long Tan. The bullet went through one ear, and out the other and he survived. There are certain parts of the brain that can be damaged or removed without death. About the collapsing heads. This mainly appplies to rounds such as the 12.7mm/.50cal. At any range under a Km, the head will jsut basically pop. Your head is pressurised. When a bullet pierces your head, it rapidly depresuarieses(sorry about the spelling). This casues it to rapidly expand. Your eyeballs will pop out of their mountings. And with big rounds, your head simply expands too far and pops. Feal free to say if I am wrong.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When a bullet pierces your head, it rapidly depresuarieses(sorry about the spelling). This casues it to rapidly expand. Your eyeballs will pop out of their mountings. And with big rounds, your head simply expands too far and pops. Feal free to say if I am wrong.<span id='postcolor'>

generaly, yes but only with large caliber.

small calibre rounds wont do such effect, but would just smear your brains. tounge.gif

The lovely 5.45mm round used in the AK-74 has its mass in the centre, so it wobbles in flight, but still stays accurate. This is to cause nastier wounds. Instead of making a clean wound, it tears the flesh and tissue.

"The lovely 5.45mm round used in the AK-74 has its mass in the centre, so it wobbles in flight, but still stays accurate. This is to cause nastier wounds. Instead of making a clean wound, it tears the flesh and tissue. "

isnt that against the law of armed conflict?confused.gif

i know i have to brush up on it every year.

spidey