Sign in to follow this  
tracer2010

Strawberries are rich in fiber; why is the M2 so underpowered?

The .50 caliber round in this game seems too underpowered. In the really real world the .50cal will rip the flesh and limbs off a man if it misses within 5in. Why does it feel like when I used a M2 it feels like a m249?

I stand corrected. But either way the .50cal should not feel like a 249 where I have to shoot someone multiple times to take someone down.

The .50 caliber round in this game seems too underpowered. In the really real world the .50cal will rip the flesh and limbs off a man if it misses within 5in. Why does it feel like when I used a M2 it feels like a m249?

more that if you are clipped by a round that large your completely combat inoperative no matter what. those rounds can destroy engine blocks on civilan cars, a person stands no chance

more that if you are clipped by a round that large your completely combat inoperative no matter what. those rounds can destroy engine blocks on civilan cars, a person stands no chance

Apparently Gunny Hathcock (IIRC) found that under certain circumstances, people would remain standing / moving or get back up after being hit by a .50 when he was using an m2 as a sniper weapon. The rounds themselves do not fragment or tumble. They do horrible things if they hit bones but they leave a half inch hole in other structures.

Edited by Max Power

Apparently Gunny Hathcock (IIRC) found that under certain circumstances, people would remain standing / moving or get back up after being hit by a .50 when he was using an m2 as a sniper weapon. The rounds themselves to not fragment or tumble. They do horrible things if they hit bones but they leave a half inch hole in other structures.

depends on round type and stability in the air, if its wobbling (so your standard MG round, thats not perfectly formed) your in a world of hurt. my old Bio teacher mentioned that when he was in bosnia (sniper, 50cal, UK army) people could survive being hit, but they sure as hell weren't going far or doing much once shock wore off

It's sort of creepy how people fetishize the .50 round. It's not magical, people. At Waterloo they were shooting at each other with 1.0 caliber rounds. Less velocity, but still, it's not going to violate the laws of physics just because it happens to be half an inch and fulfills your gore fantasies.

After hitting a human target at 120mtrs is the AIAW.50 (accuracy international AW .50) the target was still able to operate a weapon with natural human functionality until the second round hit him. I took these two shots and saw it happen.

Let me explain that no sniper will use any kind of .50 anti material weapon to hit a human, they're s**t at killing, to much speed, the round flies right through. the only way a .50 can insta kill is with the High explosive tip, or kinnetick tip. this explodes on impact. the .50 and all of its ammunition types are used for vehicles.

Distance and ballistics and so sososo much more come into play when selecting a precision weapon to kill, and the skill of the shooter. I will be making a thread explaining all of ts as it's tiresome seeing these threads. No offence to you or any others, The dev's would have taken a look into weapon balalistics and manufactured the game as close as possible to acheive a near effect.

I agree with most o what you say Inimical, i have never been a sniper, so a bit limited in my experience on this, i was 10 years infantry however. The advantage o a .50, isnt its velocity (its not that quick, aprox 3000 odd fps, rnd dependent, over 1000fps slower than say a .270 hunting rifle) But it is its weight verse velocity, the total energy o the round that makes a .50 an effective long range round. So its not effected by windage anything like what a 7.62 is. It is a great long range calibre, whatever your target is, because of this. Its always impressive watching a BMG throwing a stream o what looks like slow moving slugs across a few km's, and damned impressive the impact they make down range.

At close range, if you re only hitting soft tissue, most of the energy obviously isnt imparted on the target, but remains in the bullet as it skips off over the horizon, but thats true of any round. But against body armor, plate, it would be absolutely devastating. Because the armor is going to cause most of the energy of the round to be imparted into the target, as well as becoming fragments blown through the target. So against a modern infantrymen, it would be an extremely effective cartridge.

Edited by KingOchaos
gramal error

Let me explain that no sniper will use any kind of .50 anti material weapon to hit a human...

How do you explain the abundance of evidence to the contrary?

How do you explain the abundance of evidence to the contrary?

yea, the rnd in general is a truly awesome direct support rnd, it dosnt care if they are behind a cinder block wall, or a car, it will just make a bigger mess. The m2 has been used close on a hundred years as such, because it is such a damned effective weapon. Sure its great for soft skinned, or lightly armored vehicles, but its primarily used as an infantry direct support weapon. And it was because of its ballistics properties it was picked up as a sniper rnd. Greatly increasing the effective range of a sniper, from the comparatively anemic 7.62. Whilst increasing the effective role of a sniper/ or recon det.

First of any .50 rounds weather the entry on target is stable or unstable will only cause a mid temporal cavity, this is the oxygen and muck clothing and dirt sucked in behind the round, these openings will only be mid in size because a .50 is designed as said in the illiterate post that "it can travel through anything pretty much", so a little bit of skin and tissue will not do a lot to deform and de track the round, meaning in short it's pretty much a surgeons needle when it comes to killing and sniping, yes the m2 was out standing for combat as a support weapon but that was all it was doing then, throwing wall of lead in the general direction of a target in cover, less you hit something vital, sod all will happen, don't be mistaken that 'bigger is better' because it's not, the .50 was designed for ordinance disposal, this means buried or half buried 51 mortar, or ied and mines and in fact isn't the most accurate of weapons.

The reason the m2 was picked up and transformed into a sniper rifle was only because of the amount of propellant used to power the round a greater distance and power, the problem is after a certain distance when the round becomes sub sonic, the transition period from super sonic to sub sonic is too great, and the round has too long finding out how it wants to fly meaning taking an accurate scientific guess as to what happens on a target passed this range is impossible meaning you can't guarantee where it will go, If it was smaller like the .338 the transition period is smaller meaning you can pretty much know how the round will act.

Smaller caliber rifles, designed to be precise and kill will immediately fold, tumble and track (you guys say bounce) and will cause incredible amounts of trauma to the target.

5 Years as a sniper on 3 operational tours, and 3 Years ballistics and weapon teaching, thats where the abundance of evidence comes from, not watching a 10 minute youtube video of silica gel getting shot, turning ball to brass.

If you would like me to explain in more detail please wait until tomorrow when i am at my p.c.

To put simply if you think bigger and faster would make some one explode just think, If a hypodermic needle was traveling that fast and hit you how much of a mess would it make?

Edited by Inimical_rize

...you can't guarantee where it will go...

No kidding? Regardless, Carlos Hathcock did just fine. As have Nicholas Ranstad, Brian Kremer, Arron Perry, and Rob Furlong, to name very few.

Smaller caliber rifles, designed to be precise and kill will immediately fold, tumble and track (you guys say bounce)...

No, "we guys" say "tumble."

5 Years as a sniper on 3 operational tours, and 3 Years ballistics and weapon teaching, thats where the abundance of evidence comes from, not watching a 10 minute youtube video of silica gel getting shot, turning ball to brass.

How is that relevant to your incorrect assertion that no sniper would ever use an anti-materiel rifle against a human target?

Also:

...as said in the illiterate post...

You're really in no position to call anyone out on their grammar.

Carlos Hathcock a fine shooter if ever there was, Sadly your notion that he hit that weapon courier with a single round over 200+mtrs is incorrect, I believe in his book he Ranged the target by fire and Dope'd him self to a kill, with lack of evidence as the body was never able to be recovered he very well could have struck vital organs.

Yes those guys did do a brilliant job at engaging targets with the 50 or equivalents for the range it gives yes why not use it?

Ok clearly you've gotten angry because i profiled you as a person with lack of armed/ballistic experience and thought to clarify what I meant by tracking, tumbling and tracking are very different, bullets almost cease (not fully) tumbling on entry and start to track, where the sharp edges and large planes meet thick tissues and cut and carve and are pushed and pulled through resistance in various directions. I apologize I thought I was addressing a whole civilian thread.

Because in 5 years I've used various weapon systems at various times on various targets and have some experience (as ever experience varies) What I was taught and have always been taught through my career by various snipers including those trained by Craig Harrison (who I had the pleasure to meet and hear his story) was, As I said above that the .50 is not the be all and end all of cal and weapon and doesn't carry half the myths associated with it and would not be used by many if ranges do not exceed the ability of their current weapon be it range or optics.

This is not a slagging or measuring match and as said Sorry if I offended you thinking you'd no experience or profiling. I will not de-rail a thread anymore.

*edit* - conversation moved to PM

Edited by Harzach

Shooting with a 5 Call is always a one hit in ARMA 3,we test it many times with bots and realy player,they nearly die all the time with 1 hit.Sometimes they survive a hit in the lower leg,but then only with 2-5 HP.Of course ARMA 3 say´s it is a simulation but its not.

I would rather bet shot with a .50 than a .69 Minie' balls from a musket .

I agree, most people*cough* developers, fail to relies that .50 cal weapons were designed to destroy armored vehicles and light tanks(M107, Desert Eagle, M2 sniper, etc.). I don't know why a mk82 can 1 hit someone but not a .50cal. Should be fixed in my opinion.

I don't know why a mk82 can 1 hit someone but not a .50cal. Should be fixed in my opinion.

It's because one is 1.5oz of lead while the other is 500lbs of high explosive and steel.

^^ never mind the sheer explosive shock wave. I think someone, with a bad cough, is talking out their proverbial !

The whole issue he raises is a bit silly. He's saying that these bullets were designed to penetrate armour, so why can't they kill a person in one hit. It's like saying, 'these dum dum bullets were made to take out a person in one hit, so why can't they go through a little bit of armour?' While I think for gameplay purposes it makes sense to have them take a soldier out of the game most of the time in one shot, the rationale he's using to get there is totally out to lunch.