Sign in to follow this  
sqb-sma

Virtual Room - Movement inside of moving aircraft?

I was curious as to how other games had movement inside moving vehicles, especially in scenes like the beginning of Portal 2, where the player is constrained to a container which they can actually move around in. Lo and behold the dev commentary discusses this very issue. What they've done is created a room outside of the map, the room is physically still (so the physics behaves normally) this is then tied to the container so the character, though physically constrained to the room outside the map, perceives themselves as walking around in a container being flung into a wall. Would it be conceivable to create a room, the size and shape of which could be dictated by the vehicle files, outside of the map in order to have properly interact-able vehicles?

I noticed VBS2 has it (in some forms, the aircraft was never explicitly shown to be moving when he was walking around in it), the AAW mod for Arma 2 also had the amazing ability to open the doors of your vehicle and walk around inside it to find a seat. These kinds of features are really interesting and should, in my opinion, be included in the game. The ability to actually walk around inside of a ghosthawk and then stack up at the door and jump out would be very interesting feature to advertise.

(showing part of the container ride and then the dev commentary)

I was curious as to how other games had movement inside moving vehicles, especially in scenes like the beginning of Portal 2, where the player is constrained to a container which they can actually move around in. Lo and behold the dev commentary discusses this very issue. What they've done is created a room outside of the map, the room is physically still (so the physics behaves normally) this is then tied to the container so the character, though physically constrained to the room outside the map, perceives themselves as walking around in a container being flung into a wall. Would it be conceivable to create a room, the size and shape of which could be dictated by the vehicle files, outside of the map in order to have properly interact-able vehicles?

I noticed VBS2 has it (in some forms, the aircraft was never explicitly shown to be moving when he was walking around in it), the AAW mod for Arma 2 also had the amazing ability to open the doors of your vehicle and walk around inside it to find a seat. These kinds of features are really interesting and should, in my opinion, be included in the game. The ability to actually walk around inside of a ghosthawk and then stack up at the door and jump out would be very interesting feature to advertise.

(showing part of the container ride and then the dev commentary)

It is done quite commonly with the C130 as it has an interior model and people use it to stage paradrops.

It is normally attached to a standard C130 that is made invisible with no collision to get the sounds and a little code to give it some movement.

If I remember the developer commentary mode the whole initial scene in Portal 2 used Source's pre-baked physics capability and the bits that affected the player just used cleverly timed camera jostling, though.

While I would like to see the feature I am more interested on seeing it applied to boat decks. The only real part I could see it be very useful in aircraft could be filled by a new "ramp position" slot or something in preparation for parachuting.

I'd just be happy with an animation, but having this sort of functionality would obviously be super, super awesome. In general, being able to move around in stuff seems to be a place that ArmA is always going to have room to improve upon. Now I'm wanting to be able to swim around inside of a wrecked ship under water haha.

Might as well end this thread now. It has been made countless times and always end up with people realizing that BIS is incapable of creating this.

One thought I had the other day when watching one of Dslyecxi's videos was for position transfers. He ran up get back in a BMP, I think it was, but found himself on the wrong side due to the turret being faced backwards.

I was reminded about some things I had been reading earlier about having infantry ride along on the hull of a vehicle, and figured it could actually make sense to have that as a pre-position for any access to a top hatch, perhaps using the stance adjustment keys to go from "hull - beside turret" to "turret - commander seat", for example.

It could work for vehicles like the Chinook too, with a "cargo - seated" and "cargo - ramp" type deal.

Not expecting much, but it can't hurt to throw ideas out there. Maybe a mod, someday.

walk around inside of a ghosthawk and then stack up at the door and jump out would be very interesting feature to advertise

What if the helicopter is full and everyone stands up at the same time?

I think this feature would cause countless bugs and problems. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice if they could implement it.

I wouldn't mind them implementing a version of this for long term testing and bug squashing, if it ment we got it.