Sign in to follow this  
Burl

Beating a dead horse

I know we've been over this, but trying to fly a fixed wing aircraft in OFP is a struggle. There needs to be some separation between a helo and a fixed wing. Trying to fly an A10 or Su25 with a joystick is unbelieveable. Take off and flying straight and level is ok, but don't try to turn, it takes the dang near the whole map.

Is BIS even considering a change to aircraft/helos?? If so I believe they would add a terrific element to game play.

BURL

I can do it just fine.

I have several thousand hours of flight simulator experience, and a joystick, but still. smile.gif

You have to realise that, when you're flying a fighter or attack aircraft (like the A-10/Su-25) you bank, then pull back. It increases the rate of turn on the aircraft. When you bank you divert some lift (the upward force developed by the wings) to the direction in which you banked. So you might also have to raise your nose a tad so you keep your altitude, but I don't know that OPF has that since it isn't really a flight simulator.

Just remember: bank, then pull back on the stick.

Burl, learn to fly before you complain. I fly keyboard and mouse and it's easy. I can turn quite quickly. Also realise the A10 isn't exactly the most streamline fighter aircraft. It's supposed to bust tanks, you don't need pinpoint maneuverability for that. The SU25, that's a ltitle harder to fly, but it's more like a fighter.

FSPilot,

Thanks, I understand the concept, but it just seems to me that the flight design is based on rotary aircraft instead of fixed. I'll keep tinkering with though.

Harnu,

Get bent. I flew AirWarrio/AW2/AW3 for many years online.

None of that changes the fact that the fixed-wing flight model isn't up to the standards set by the rest of the game. Yes, it is usable, but could use some loving attention from the developers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Aug. 02 2002,00:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also realise the A10 isn't exactly the most streamline fighter aircraft.  It's supposed to bust tanks, you don't need pinpoint maneuverability for that.<span id='postcolor'>

The A-10 is actually extraordinarilly maneuverable.  Probably to dodge AA fire.

Check this out: http://ww2.a-10.org/a10-2.avi (1.2mb)

It can do much better than that, but I can't seem to find a video.  There are more good shots on that page.  Even some stuff from the manual I think. biggrin.gif

And Burl, fixed wing aircraft's flight dynamics cant possible be based on a rotary wing's flight dynamics.

EDIT - bah! You have to go to http://www.a-10.org/a10-files.html and click on "A10-2.AVI"

I second the part about the A-10 being fairly agile.

But I am afraid the fixed wing aircraft are unflyable, and I'm used to impossible flight models (six years of playing Red Baron 3D on "realistic" ought to do it. The torque is unbelievable). For instance, I am flying along in the A-10 or Cessna (often straight and level) when all of a sudden it feels like my engine just turns off all by itself, and I crash. Now, I have flown a Cessna in real life. I only have about fifteen hours, but that is enough to know that it is far, far easier to fly and turn in real life. In addition, it is nowhere near as easy to stall as it is in the game.

kermit, try holding the "forward" key down, maybe with the shift key along with it for a tad extra power.

How far along are you towards getting your liscense?

Maybe you need to configure you joystick. I am great with the mouse but not so hot with the stick and I can still turn in a very small area. I find the stick to be very touchy, but that might be because they dont have full driver support for my stick on XP. (Cyborg 3D Gold USB) I can still make a turn the sive of a large town though.

What I mean is the only thing it was used for in the original campaign was used to kill some tanks. It serverd its purpose. Fine the way it is.

Burl... nough said.

But: </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Get bent. I flew AirWarrio/AW2/AW3 for many years online.<span id='postcolor'>

Incase you didn't realize. This is OFP, not Airwarrior.

FS pilot, I've never really heard of an A10 used for AA combat. Also, in that video, you can turn like that using simply the mouse.

The A-10 Warthog, AKA Thunderbolt II DOES have AA capability, in the form of Wing Mounted Aim-9 Sidewinder Heat Seaking Air-Air Missles, however, it's not an Air Attack platform, and they only use these in self-defence, or against enemy helicopters and other Close air Support Aircraft.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Aug. 02 2002,08:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">FS pilot, I've never really heard of an A10 used for AA combat.<span id='postcolor'>

Uh, thats not what I meant.

AA = Anti-Aircraft

how does dodging air to air fire make something an air to air platform in the first place?

and im sure you can do that with a mouse, i was illustrating to someone (i forget his name) that the A-10 is not some lumbering old bomber, but a maneuverable attack aircraft.

does anyone understand what i post?  tounge.gif j/k

da a10 is a low level flying plane up high i will handle like a bus with wings most likly, i dont thenk another plane has ever tryed to fight an a10 at low level with its manoverabilty and massive guy i wouldnt either.

wow.gif8--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Aug. 02 2002,12wow.gif8)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">FS, thats a sweet ass website. Are you looking forward to LOMAC as much as I am?  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOMAC?

You lost me.

*looks it up on google*

mmmmmmmMMMMmmmmm

I am now! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ Aug. 02 2002,07:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">da a10 is a low level flying plane up high i will handle like a bus with wings most likly, i dont thenk another plane has ever tryed to fight an a10 at low level with its manoverabilty and massive guy i wouldnt either.<span id='postcolor'>

massive guy?confused.gif?? wow.gif

whats he going to do? jump out of the plane and beat up the plane attempting to shoot him down?

I say to get the real dirt on the a-10 is to ask someone whos flown them before.

IMO the biggest drawback of the planes in OFP are that the rudders stop working after 80km/h.

That mean we can use the rudders only when taxing.

hmmmm rudders ain't in use when taxing....must be the nose-wheel then....DOH!  sad.gif

Wish BIS could change that so we can use rudders when lining up for a landing

I've tried mouse, keyboard, and joystick.  I always hold the "forward" key at all times, because when using mouse or keyboard, it automatically (and incorrectly) adjusts the throttle depending on your pitch.  Even so, it feels like it is very heavy and overloaded, often performing a belly landing (boom) when my nose is slightly above the horizon and I am at full power.  Have you tried skimming the trees, dammit?  In real life, it is rather easy to do that in an A-10.  You don't slowly descend in altitude no matter how fast you are going and what pitch you are at. Does anyone read me?

Fspilot, I am afraid I haven't flown for four years.  It got too expensive, but as soon as I can afford it I will resume.  You should try it sometime, it is the best thing I have ever done.

Harnu, AA means "anti-aircraft," not "air to air."  Thus, Fspilot meant "probably to dodge anti-aircraft fire."

[Edit: Whoops, I didn't read the second page before replying. Ignore that last paragraph.]

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kermit @ Aug. 02 2002,15:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Fspilot, I am afraid I haven't flown for four years.  It got too expensive, but as soon as I can afford it I will resume.  You should try it sometime, it is the best thing I have ever done.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, I've got a little over 50 hours right now and I'm practicing for my checkride. LOL

I understand that it's very expensive, but I plan to make money off of it eventually. biggrin.gif

Just so this is off topic, I think this should be in the next patch. Make the planes flyable!