Sign in to follow this  
Mansen

Preset FPS limit instead of Vsync?

Since I am not quite able to get over 60FPS consistently (just under) Vsync is a bit of an annoyance (Since it halves the FPS to 30 constantly) I was wondering if there's an FPS limiter function somewhere? (Such as Max_FPS = 60)

I get the same. Alt-tab to desktop and back to the game fixes it, so that fps changes between 30 and 60.

Fix? There's no fix. Vsync is designed to cut the FPS in half if it cannot receive the FPS it needs to fulfill it's purpose. If you have 65FPS, you get 60 Vsynced. If you have 59, you get 30 Vsynced - Works as designed.

Which is exactly why I am asking whether an engine FPS limit exists - some games have them, others don't. And I can't seem to find one in the configuration file, so I'm asking here in case it is hidden elsewhere (if it exists)

If you've got an ATI card I think you can use Double Vsync and Triple Buffering in Radeon Pro to avoid it dropping to 30fps whenever it can't manage 60fps.

Fix? There's no fix. Vsync is designed to cut the FPS in half if it cannot receive the FPS it needs to fulfill it's purpose. If you have 65FPS, you get 60 Vsynced. If you have 59, you get 30 Vsynced - Works as designed.

Which is exactly why I am asking whether an engine FPS limit exists - some games have them, others don't. And I can't seem to find one in the configuration file, so I'm asking here in case it is hidden elsewhere (if it exists)

No, no, tripple buffering lets you have fps between 30 and 60 with vsync. Never had a problem where it doesn't work (using a 5870). I use Radeon Pro for that. You can limit fps with that too, if it doesn't work try D3doverider.

Oh really? I learned something new today. Wasn't aware tripple buffering allowed for that. Now since Bohemia use Battleye and whatnot, is it considered safe (and allowed) to use Radeon Pro or D3Doverrider? I'd hate to get banned before the game is even out. :rolleyes:

Oh really? I learned something new today. Wasn't aware tripple buffering allowed for that. Now since Bohemia use Battleye and whatnot, is it considered safe (and allowed) to use Radeon Pro or D3Doverrider? I'd hate to get banned before the game is even out. :rolleyes:

For starters, try enabling vsync ingame, and don't run radeon pro or d3doverider. On my pc fps gets stuck to 30 or 60, but if I alt-tab to desktop after the mission has loaded, fps changes between 30 and 60 as it should. Try and see if it works for you. It's odd it's like that..

msi afterburner has a built in fps limiter, dont know how well it'll work. nvidia has a limiter in the driver too, using nvidia inspector you can set any value.

For starters, try enabling vsync ingame, and don't run radeon pro or d3doverider. On my pc fps gets stuck to 30 or 60, but if I alt-tab to desktop after the mission has loaded, fps changes between 30 and 60 as it should. Try and see if it works for you. It's odd it's like that..

What is your setting in CCC for Vsync?

On my rig, if I choose "always enabled" or "enabled unless specified by app", I get the FPS stuck to 30 or 60. If I set it to "disabled unless specifed by app", my FPS vary between 30 and 60 as intended.

For AMD users i recommend ''RadeonPro''

You can limit the FPS and much more.

With Catalyst version 15.7, AMD users can globally limit FPS. Open AMD Catalyst Control Center\Performance\Frame Rate, tick Maximum Frame Rate, set to a desired value and click apply.

I recommend nvidia users to use adaptive v-sync, which automatically turns v-sync off when you drop under your monitors refresh rate, and automatically turn it on again above your refresh rate. AMD users can do the same using RadeonPro, where the same feature is called DVC, or Dynamic V-sync Control. I have tried DVC and it works very well for Arma3. AMD users that does not want to install third party software can instead use the new framerate limiter in Catalyst 15.7.

Traditional v-sync is completely useless in Arma3 due to the frequent drops below 60fps.

Edited by Brisse

I have screen tearing with FPS limiter. Only v-sync helps.

The arma console command: " L-Shift + numberpad/minus fps ".

Enter once will lock frames at 60; enter twice for 40 & third time for 20 fps.

Also, " L-Shift + numberpad/minus flush " will flush the gfx cache.

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

You can use SHIFT & NUMPAD "-"(minus) key then type FPS. It limits FPS to 40, 20, 10 afaik

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Cheats

Oops, missed PuFu's reply.