Sign in to follow this  
dumbkoff

Friend or foe

I am new to OFP, playing in Resistance multiplayer one of the things I am finding the hardest to master is identifying the other players as friend or foe when servers are in expert mode, and tips would be greatly appriciated?, I will apologise now to all those players I've blown away be mistake!!!!!!!!!.???

welcome to OFP community.(though your name is quite self-depricating)

as for your friendly fire, all i can say is watch b4 you shoot.

i unintentionally TK some ppl, but like once in awhile. a rule of thumb is you get used to colors of uniforms, not the gun/weapon they are holding. guns can be picked up anywhere, so relying on gun looks and sound to distinguich enemy is very dangerous.

NATO soldiers have a bit more darker unifor then Russians. Russians are more like plain green, while NATO has more dark-brownish marks.

just practice practice and practice.

EDIT: also if you TK ppl, immediately say you are sorry. smile.gif

TKes are soo hated, with right.

Problem is, often an accidental TK, with or without a 'sorry',  leads to a kick in no-time. But when there is a bastard team killing for fun, it takes ages to convince admin to kick the TKer...

Two things:

- Stay with your team (make sure you play with people who obey the leader, and with a leader who really leads the team instead of just running around tounge.gif)

- Don't shoot if you arent sure its an enemy

Easiest way to tell enemies apart:

West: Darker green.

East: Lighter green

Resistance: Have bakcpacks

Civilians: Normal clothes.

At the start, always grab binocs out of ammo crates if they have them. So if your target is too far away to see clearly whos side hes on, use your binoculars.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ July 29 2002,11:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Easiest way to tell enemies apart:

West:  Darker green.

East:  Lighter green

Resistance: Have bakcpacks

Civilians: Normal clothes.

At the start, always grab binocs out of ammo crates if they have them.  So if your target is too far away to see clearly whos side hes on, use your binoculars.<span id='postcolor'>

bincos r the key most good map maker has them in abundence cos at long range the enemy is just a wee speck u n barly see depending on graphic settings.

This is good advice...as l too just played mp for the first time the last couple of nights. And yes there was a little friendly fire confused.gif but that player quickly showed me what it feels like. Anyways it was great to play, coop and ctf. Although ctf was sort of confusing, like a bunch of ants all over the place, ..any hints on ctf. Ah well, l'll place a couple of east and west in mission editor and study uniforms. biggrin.gif

For CTF, same things apply. Try to know where your team is. Follow the same instructions for distinguisng uniforms. And always try to get some binocs.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ July 28 2002,23:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- Don't shoot if you arent sure its an enemy<span id='postcolor'>

That actualy got me killed quite some times tounge.gif

I once had an enemy in front of me. We stared at eachother for about 20 seconds. Then blam he killed me.

He was standing 1 m infront of me and i still wasn t sure sad.gif

Must have been one of those days biggrin.gif

I have experienced more problems with vehicles. For instance you play East and steal an M1A1. You yell over the side channel: "Do not shoot at the Abrams, Do not shoot at the Abrams"... and yet very soon ten people have aimed and fired their LAW launchers against you sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 29 2002,10:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have experienced more problems with vehicles. For instance you play East and steal an M1A1. You yell over the side channel: "Do not shoot at the Abrams, Do not shoot at the Abrams"... and yet very soon ten people have aimed and fired their LAW launchers against you sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

You forgot that most east forces have something called M1A1-Fobia. They just can t resist aiming their laws at it.

That tank is frigging scary when on east wow.gif ( except if you re in chopper that is )

You take that risk every time you get in an enemy tank. It's inevitable that your own team will kill you, since the enemy is less likely to attack a friendly tank. You could just destroy it, or wait nearby and ambush enemies that try to get in it.

Head gear is another way to ID enemy.

Hats, and cammo helmets= NATO

plain, or shiny green helmets, black berets, and bandanas=russians.

The best way to ID friend or foe, is situational awarness. Simple things like:

Have a plan, or pay attention to what others are saying. Many times you will see people saying, "I am headed for 2 from east" or stuff like "Dont shoot me I am in the enemy UAZ"

Direction of targets!

If he is running away from you, this is a perfect opportunity for you to use discipline, and judgement, He isnt a danger to you, so if you cant tell if he is good or bad let him go, or move in closer! If he is running toward you...let him come...eventually you will be able to see weather he is friend or foe.

Use voice comm software like roger wilco, or team sound if possible, and ask people ," hey is that you over by the......"

If its CTF and you cant tell if he is friendly or enemy, but he has the enemy's flag in his hands...DONT SHOOT!! this is a freindly who is stealing the enemy flag! Enemies dont generally carry thier own flag in CTF.

In C&H objectives that are owned by your team, are probably crawling with friendlies, or have friendlies near by. BE EXTRA caredul, and dont shoot unless you absolutely can be sure, or you have to shoot to save yourself!

Always be considerate, and appologize. No matter how it happened, or what the guy you tked says to you, if you TK someone, you are wrong, and owe an appology!!

This is the hardest bit of Multiplayer. It is impossible (I think) to tell what side someone is on if they are in a vehicle and you cant see them.

This is why I always try to play as a leader, then you can start to issue a command and then when you move the mouse over a player / vehicle then it shows their name and red / green color BUT DONT TRUST the colour. It is often wrong if they have used an ememy vehicle. Press "I" and check their name againg the side listing.

This will take time but is best practice.

If the person is on foot then just tell by the helmet - US use a PASGT Helmet that is very distinctive. Soviets have a shiny Steel one.

Also if you are playing with people you know work out a system of identifying each other.

My tactic is if you are running towards a friendly then point your rifle down at the ground, thus they know youy are not aiming at them.

My system is to jump on my head spin and spit wooden nickels. tounge.gif

But seriously, all I can do is try to get to my guy whos aiming at me fast, so I can get close enough for him to see I'm a friendly.

things i really hate is the legal TKs...

some ppl use the UAZ or BRDM to run over you without getting the message "XXX killed YYY (friendly fire)" instead u see " YYY is dead".

Well sometime when i m LAW i put the LAW ready to fire just in case, if the guy come too close from me i prefer firing LAW and kill each other than being bothered by this kind of guy (and dont expect that i ll give any excuse to this guy... he deserved his stupidity)

never take civilan vechiles, i was plyin on stoners last nite gp still hasnt got ofpr sad.gif ,i got a sports car and drove to one of our c&hs only once i got there was tked, they just fired didnt bother to identify. Also i learned the other day never destory a bridge if the admins on west and west r using that bridge u "risk" being booted. I thought it was fair they had a m1a1 and m2a2 we had bmp2 and t80 and had to fly to get there, those m1a1s r invincable it took my t80 out in two shots i shot it twice sum one put 5 rpgs after i died in it and it survived dammaged but alive, there r times were it dosnt seem that strong but east needs a decent tank or t80 with one of those rocket launchers.

If you have played the single player campaign, you should be able to recognize uniforms by now. If you have and still cannot, then play it again. It takes about two weeks to get used to it, I estimate. I almost never teamkill now.

use binoculars, chances are when you see a person you can't identify he's too far away to see you, so you always have time.

my rule of thumb is, if the enemy is further than 150 metres away use binoculars, if he is closer use weapon scope.

as a side note i hate it when you see a person, identify him as a friendly, and he suddenly spots you and caps you, when you could've killed him 5 times over. if somebody is just looking at you and he has been looking at you for the past few minutes chances are high that he is NOT an enemy.