Sign in to follow this  
Flogger23m

Reload animations (in the final game)

Hello,

I've been playing the ArmA 3 Alpha Lite version a little as of late. One clear improvement so far has been movement and aiming animations, which feel much more fluid and natural than ArmA 2. Likewise, I noticed that most of the weapons have one set of animations for reloading opposed to ArmA 2's three universal "long gun", pistol and RPG reload animations which is a nice step forward.

Though I noticed that so far ArmA 3 Alpha still lacks one set of reload animations, the "tactical reload", or a reload in which there is still a round in the weapons chamber. Every time you change a magazine out, the same animation is played in which the player hits the bolt catch on the rifles as if there was no round in the chamber. Likewise, I noticed that when initiating a reload, the handles/bolts on the weapons slide back which looks a bit odd. Finally, it does not seem like you can top off your weapon (15 + 1 for a total of 16 ect.).

I realize I am playing an Alpha version, though I am just wondering if the devs plan on implementing both sets of reload animations and a system of topping off your weapon in the final version of the game? Just about every realistic shooter has been doing this for years (R6 Raven Shield, Red Orchestra ect.) and it would be great if the final version of ArmA 3 did as well.

Not only tactical shooters have been doing this, COD has since the 2nd one (if not the first or UO) and even BF has it now. This is something!

I really don't know what is the big problem, should be easy as cutting the animation after loading the mag in. The whole animation system is based on these "cuts" as there is no interpolation of anims.

Make a ticket about it!

How would I make a ticket about it and ensure that no one has already has regarding the same topic?

No technical possibility so far but there is a lobby for this :)

It would be amazing if ArmA 3 had BF2's complete weapon animation system, collapsable stock, folding bipods, scope transitions etc and reload times which make sense.

DayZ is including tactical reload features, helped along by changing weapons to true objects which can hold it's own strings, isn't it? If this is the case, how hard would it be to transition the Alpha to this system? Now would definitely be the time to do it, before more weapon content is released.

And wouldn't this method also provide the capability for more weapon animations, since lots more states can be saved to the weapons in strings?

No technical possibility so far but there is a lobby for this :)

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully that can change in the future. Would it require considerable reworking of the engine?

I also agree with Viper, assuming he was talking about BF3. The animations were actually extremely well done including the reload speed for many of the weapons. I was really impressed. Animations for bipod deploying would be nice as well.

It's been in the evolution of FPS gaming. Would be nice to see this implemented.