Sign in to follow this  
ADuke

Positioning character model for rigging

Hi,

So, I am all set to rig my model with selections for use in A3, when I noticed....

My model is in the full "Jesus Christ pose" and not in the "relaxed Jesus Christ pose" that all of the ArmA series models are in (hands lowered to waist).

My question is......

Is there an easy way to lower the arms at exactly the right spot?

Or do I need to meticulously move each vertex to the right spot? :(

Thanks,

-AD

Not sure what program you're using, but you could import the example body model (you have to download it from the wiki if you don't have it already) into the scene and use it as a reference in adjusting the the angle of the arms in orthographic view (if you want to get it as close as possible). You will probably have to rearrange a few vertices afterwards, but not many.

Hi,

So, I am all set to rig my model with selections for use in A3, when I noticed....

My model is in the full "Jesus Christ pose" and not in the "relaxed Jesus Christ pose" that all of the ArmA series models are in (hands lowered to waist).

My question is......

Is there an easy way to lower the arms at exactly the right spot?

Or do I need to meticulously move each vertex to the right spot? :(

Thanks,

-AD

And where is it that you got the model you are wishing to rig?

I made the model via a video tutorial..........

It is a very simple model, but when I started it I hadn't realized the arms were at that slightly different angle.

Not sure what program you're using, but you could import the example body model (you have to download it from the wiki if you don't have it already) into the scene and use it as a reference in adjusting the the angle of the arms in orthographic view (if you want to get it as close as possible). You will probably have to rearrange a few vertices afterwards, but not many.

Thanks for your reply but I think I am going to have to just start over.

-AD

not really sure about the details but you could make some bones for the arms then rig the arms to them and then move them in the right position. then you could export the model in the right pose.

just rotate the hands via 3d selection and middle pivot point, using some of the vertices at the shoulder. or detach the hand till the shoulder and rebridge the selection after re-atach

Thank you PuFu, I will try that with my next attempt. I also found a very informative set of videos here........

Good to see my tutorial helps somebody, for the weighting you could also do this in Max as but I wouldn't know how to it. Bad Benson suggested it and it should be less clunky than weighting in O2.

export lod3 of the example soldier (should have hands and a head) into 3ds max and then use it as a reference ...