Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy Bandit

ArmA2Net and ArmA2MySQL

I came across ArmA2NET the other day whilst searching for ways to store information in an external database and found that some clever chap had created ArmA2MySQL to go along with it, allowing mission creators to query external databases at will.

Does anybody know if this is being / will be developed for ArmA 3? We'd really like to get this up and running on our server but I seriously doubt that ArmA2NET and ArmA2MySQL will work with the Alpha (I haven't tested yet due to a distinct lack of time).

The callExtension interface remains the same in Arma 3 Alpha; Arma2NET and Arma2MySQL will work fine.

Yeah I think that guy stoped development for arma2 as he works now for the arma3 implementation ...

The callExtension interface remains the same in Arma 3 Alpha; Arma2NET and Arma2MySQL will work fine.

Oh you are that "other" guy ... isnt there another open source database project?

Spoke with firefly the other day regarding his Mysqlplugin - bagged his new WIP mission. Seems to be working - I used Xampp to set the database and have created a load of scripts etc to store pos, dir, stance, and health on connection and disconnection. I've converted his weapons script to store all the kit again when joining and leaving. So yeah seems to work well - just working on the health scripting side of it and ive got a complete basic setup - def worth investing in. And yeah Scott_NZ is the creator of Arma2net :)

Spoke with firefly the other day regarding his Mysqlplugin - bagged his new WIP mission. Seems to be working - I used Xampp to set the database and have created a load of scripts etc to store pos, dir, stance, and health on connection and disconnection. I've converted his weapons script to store all the kit again when joining and leaving. So yeah seems to work well - just working on the health scripting side of it and ive got a complete basic setup - def worth investing in. And yeah Scott_NZ is the creator of Arma2net :)

I was refering to this : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?111484-ArmA2-Persistent-Database-Scripts-WIP&highlight=mysql

So its basicly both the same system?

Not sure. It certainly started off the same, but not sure what changes were made. In any case u can get it going with just arma2.net and arma2mysqlplugin.

Yep, the plugin works great with Arma 3. There's an example mission for Arma 3 up (similar structure and format from the Arma 2 example mission). If you need help, hop over to the Arma2NETMySQLPlugin thread and I'll try to help you out. :)

MSO is based more off of the PersistantDB which also requires Arma2Net and Arma2MySQL

FYI, we had this working on our server for a good while, adding the equivalent of a forum currency for each point gained. The plugin did make the game quite unstable though and we had to remove it as the server speed would detoriate a hell of a lot faster than normal.

We also had to fiddle with and recompile the plugin to make it work for our 40-man servers (updating various databases frequently). 'tis a hassle and is really not perfect in ARMA 3 yet. :D

I think it depends on how often you are making database calls. The connection to the database should be staying open, however, all those SELECT, UPDATE, DELETE, etc. calls can be (potentially) quite taxing on the computer. Running a couple SQL calls every minute or so, probably isn't a big deal, but running them every second... that will lead to problems. I'm not sure how you have it setup but from some of the other addons and things that folks have created that use this system, they've been quite demanding of the plugin and calling it extremely frequently. If that's what you want, a database probably isn't the best choice, it would be better to just keep the variables and information server side (in SQF) and update less frequently.

If you do have problems though, please let me know because this is the only way I can test it and make it better. I don't have a 40 person server to stress-test this on so information like this is quite helpful. :) I'm always open to suggestions or improvements.

If you do have problems though, please let me know because this is the only way I can test it and make it better. I don't have a 40 person server to stress-test this on so information like this is quite helpful. :) I'm always open to suggestions or improvements.

I strongly encourage you to check out Ahoy World's site and sign up. I'm Rarek there (the founder) and we plan on using ArmA2NET to sync everything up with the website as soon as possible. As I said above, we did have it running though it was quite unstable. The server would run fine for a long time, but always tumble in the end (and much more often than when we ran it without the plugin).

Queries were probably running once every 30 seconds along with every time a player joined (only players registered on the site were 'tracked' and only they created any queries to run), so it wasn't too taxing, though we did end up having to close the connection and re-open it quite a lot.

As the queries were running every time players joined, the plugin never reached the inactivity limit of 30 minutes. That's fine - why close the connection at all, right? - but we'd eventually (after 2 or 3 hours of play with 35-40 players) get to a point where the plugin would complain that (remembering this from memory, so take this as a 'pseudo error'):

Reader attempted to read past end of stream

After that error, queries would not return an error, but always come back blank.

Our quick fix at the time was to reduce the inactivity timer all the way down to 10 seconds, though I assume that that's what had the largely negative impact on server performance, having to constantly re-open and close the connection like that.

Still, as I said above, please do join Ahoy World and say hello; we plan to do a lot of SQL synchronisation within the community (we already do with Minecraft)!