Sign in to follow this  
Tyrsero

From 1.99 to 1.96

I don't know if that's a good place for questions like this, but here it goes:

Is it possibly by ANY means to downgrade the 1.99 to 1.96? I see all servers running on 1.96 and well, it can get pretty boring messing with the editor for a few months straight.

Is there some kind of official downgrade, or is it at least possible to choose version 1.96 in the Steam properties? That would be very appreciated, I'd love to do some CWA MP.

maybe it's time to kick 'ass' of these who own/host these servers to update to 1.99 content and binaries ...

maybe it's time to kick 'ass' of these who own/host these servers to update to 1.99 content and binaries ...

Agreed, it's more than time.

Indeed, but how would you do that? It's not like there is a button that suddenly breaks all OFP 1.96 versions. :D

Maybe people should stop making mods that work for both 1.96 and 1.99? It would force them to switch into 1.99, but I guess that would be too radical/dumb to do.

In 1.99 there is a VERY SMALL MP community, and they're all on that WH40k server, it's like I don't know, 10-15 people max? It's not very much, but if people would update from 1.96 to 1.99 then the MP community would grow a little more.

Maybe people should stop making mods that work for both 1.96 and 1.99? It would force them to switch into 1.99, but I guess that would be too radical/dumb to do.

That's easy to circumvent. All it takes is a 2 minute operation of unpacking of the pbo, changing a single value in the config from "1.99" to "1.96" and repacking. I don't understand why people don't upgrade to 1.99 since it's so much easier ... and the latest version. Especially server hosts who I would assume would always like to have the latest version.

Some server admins might be worried that 1.99 may be not compatible with mods/addons that are in use on their servers.

The reason behind it is that many servers use addons that are not 100% compatible with 1.99.

I think that's not true, I've tried alot of addons that I've found on my own and all of these worked just fine in 1.99 without any errors, the only errors I got were because I missed one or two files of a mod (The current charm of mods)

The reason behind it is that many servers use addons that are not 100% compatible with 1.99.

I think that's not true, I've tried alot of addons that I've found on my own and all of these worked just fine in 1.99 without any errors, the only errors I got were because I missed one or two files of a mod (The current charm of mods)

Keep in mind that addons behave differently on a Dedicated server.

Isn't the main problem the fact BIS has not released a Linux server for 1.99 while they have for 1.96 ?

I remember when OFP was still popular in term of servers amount, the majority of servers admin would only use the linux server to setup their servers, not the window one.

Linux server would definitely go a long way.

There were some problems with the upgrade initially too which I think left a bad impression for some people, but it's all been sorted out since then.

Addons not being compatible on on 1.99 is simply not true either. The only addon that I know of that wasn't compatible on CWA was CoC Unified Artillery and even that got a hotfix by vektorboson.

So what people here are saying is that, people don't want to update from 1.96 to 1.99 because it lacks Linux servers? :/

So what people here are saying is that, people don't want to update from 1.96 to 1.99 because it lacks Linux servers? :/
Linux server would definitely go a long way.

I'd work one up if 1.99 for Linux were to be released.

Well if that's just the Linux that is the issue, then why the developers won't just add Linux server into 1.99? Is there some sort of problem or a limit or something, because that is kind of silly people don't want to play on latest because of lack of Linux servers.

there was problem with actually getting the 1.99 Linux server compiled, but I will try ask our Linux coder if it's possible

please remember the project is over 10 years old

usable workaround would be use Linux + WINE + 1.99 windows dedicated server

It is understandable, I hope the Linux coder will make it!

It's not like it's normal that the latest version of the good old classic just passes by unseen, eh? ;)

Good reminder - I think I'll give that a try.

Launch the emulator on server perversion extreme.

Edited by _XeTeX_

Wine Is Not Emulator ... the performance hit is minimal compared to emulators ...

tons of admins runs WINE + OA windows server + DayZ mod on Linux , theirs servers are perfectly playable

(because windows binary has callExtension while Linux binary don't)

Wine Is Not Emulator ... the performance hit is minimal compared to emulators ...

tons of admins runs WINE + OA windows server + DayZ mod on Linux , theirs servers are perfectly playable

(because windows binary has callExtension while Linux binary don't)

Maybe that way is not 100% stable on CWA or people just simply don't know about that, OR they don't want to run through all this stuff?

But is it confirmed that these ways work 100% stable in CWA? It only tells me that it's for ArmA 2/OA/Etc.

Also what is the progress with the Linux server on CWA? Just curious, will it be done or is it impossible?

there was problem with actually getting the 1.99 Linux server compiled, but I will try ask our Linux coder if it's possible
Hello.

Dwarden are you asked Linux coder about that beacasue now when ARMA CWA (OFP) is free on Steam Linux server for 1.99 version is much needed than ever.

WINE taking to much resources and is much hard to handle it e.g. no automatic restart after server go down...