Sign in to follow this  
MDRZulu

Pc temp 72 degrees

I got my ge force 4 and now my cpu (athlon 1.33 ghz) temp while playing game will got to atleast 72 degrees celsius. I dont know much about how hot it can get but seems hotter than hell. It used to get to about 60 max which I didnt worry too much about. Im a poor bastard and Im not gonna buy some expensive orb fan or water cooling shit. My plans atleast one big hole in the case with a duct going to the cpu fan (probably made from cardboard) so that it is getting an outside fresh air source. I took the sides off for now but its still hot. Anyone have any homade suggestions?confused.gif

Bejeebus! 70c!

I run a Athlon XP 2000, and that at full CPU load never goes above 36c.

My Dual PIII system will hit the 45c mark, but only as I havn't sorted out a decent cooling system for it yet. (Incidently, I have just booted it up after sticking two old fans in decent locations)

First off, If you are using  the original heatsink and fan, bin it. Those things are bloody useless. I run a Zalman Flower similar to this one. (Mines the Althon version and its all copper)

Zalman_6500alCu.jpg

This is a silent cooling answer, and its quite expensive (Å30). Other decent heatsinks are out there thought.

1. Check you are using thermal grease. Its dirt cheap and will knock off a few degrees. Put a blob on your CPU core and stick the heatsink on it.

2. A decent exhaust fan. The little one on your PSU won't cut it, and will only keep the PSU cool. Hopefully you will have a vent on the back which will allow you to fix a 80mm fan on it. Buy one (Their cheap) and mount it. That will vent out all the hot air from around the CPU. You don't need a vent directly to your CPU, as hot air will rise to the top of the case. Try to mount the fan as highas possible.

3. A decent front fan. This will draw the cool air into the PC, up towards the CPU, and then your exhaust fan will kick it out the back. A good circulation of air will be better than running with the case off!

Thats the cheap version. I actually modded my case, and took out the PSU, which is mounted to the desk. Then I made a plate and attached a fan and the power points. It knocked 20c off and it cost me nothing!

Frankly though, either your heatsink is shit, or its not mounted properly. Running at that high a temp will cause lockups and shorten the life of the processor. Remember the cooler the PC the faster and more stable it will run!

Your first order of battle though, is to remove the heatsink, and make sure its mounted properly. Also make sure the fan is blowing onto the heatsink, not sucking!

BTW, post your motherboard specs. Some don't report the temp correctly.

Shit thats worst than I thought, my mother board is a Gigagbyte GA-7VTXE. I used to have this fan like the ones semi truck drivers use and that kept everything cool but I dont know what I did with it but Im not buying shit.

The Gigabyte is probably telling the truth. A good fan well set you back about Å6 ($8). If you can't justify buying one of those, enjoy your soon to be melted CPU. With PC's getting faster and faster, a decent cooling system isn't a luxery, its a must.

Maybe you could scam the person who owns the house into buying the stuff for you. Nothing will un-nerve them more than telling them your PC could burst into flames at any minute! smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe you could scam the person who owns the house into buying the stuff for you. <span id='postcolor'>

I already did and they told me to stop using the computer, I have a job I just dont want to pay for that stuff if I can make some crappy homemade stuff.

'Crappy homemade stuff' is just that. Crappy. Unless you can build your own air extraction system, you'll need to get a fan. One decent 80mm fan as an exhaust will knock 20c off easily.

Thermal grease is $0.50 a sachet for the cheap stuff. You have to get some of that if you have none.

But first of all make sure you heatsink is attached properly!

What heatsink have you got on there?. 70DegC is hot, but not lethal. I think AMD says they can run up to 90DegC 'thank you very much mam' fine' all day long.

but realisticly you want to aim at 50DegC highest!. 60 was the limit!!.

you can get a damn good HSF for $10-$20 you tight fuker! tounge.gif ...

dont get an Orb!!. they're shite!. IM(expert ;)O . its worth the money all day long. remember a burn out can take the mobo socket with it!! wow.gif ...

Thermalright AX7(or something like that!wink.gif are excellent performers. they look a bit like the old 'ThermoEngine' but bigger. they take an 80mm fan as standard.

Get a 92mm fan and mount it on the side of your case over the HS/CPU, I used a two litre 'Lucasade' bottle. the top funnel shaped part. to duct air straight onto the heatsink.

the 'funnel was exactly the right size 92mm at the wide end and about 65-70mm at the narrow end. its only a slight funnel shape to direct/concentrate airflow onto the CPU. beats using warm 'incase' air to try and cool the CPU!! wink.gif ...

Be REALLY careful with thermal grease. People generally seem to think that more is better, and it's totally not the truth!

You want a thin layer to fill in any gaps between the die and the heatsink. The surface of the heatsink (and to a lesser degree the processor die) have minor imperfections that block heat transfer, and the grease fills them. But too much actually acts as an insulator, causing hte processor to overheat even more.

What are you currently using as an HSF? You can get some REALLY good HSF combos on the cheap. Coolermaster and Thermatake make ones well under 25 dollars that work wonders.

MDRZulu, feel free to PM me and I'll give you some linkage.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MDRZulu @ July 21 2002,09:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I got my ge force 4 and now my cpu (athlon 1.33 ghz) temp while playing game will got to atleast 72 degrees celsius.<span id='postcolor'>

Hiya,

I got the exact same processor as u got, and my processor temps are around 60 degrees when idling, but when playing games and stuff, temps go up to 65-70, depends on outside temps...First of all, make sure that your computer case is big enough especially for AMD processors, since the bigger the case, the better the airflow.And buy yuorself a simple case-fan, wich will make a nice constant airflow, and make sure u got enough openings in the case so that the heat can go out.

Also, did u check the temps in BIOS, or u got a program for that? BIOS will give u the exact temps..So get yourself an extra cooler, since the hotter the cpu gets, the shorter it will live..

DO NOT get the Zalman flower, it might look nice and its silent, but its not gonna cool jack ****.

If you want a decent cooling solution get an ALPHA PAL 8045 with a DELTA 80mm fan.

OR get a Globalwin CAK-II 38. They are noisy, but they are going to keep your CPU below 50, I guarantee that! Make sure to get some Arctic Silver 2 (or 3), also check the website of Arctiv Silver, they have a "how to use" guide smile.gif

Get Artic Silver3!!. I got the original Artic Silver and I get problems with the Shit migrating!. after a few months it all seems to move towards the edges of the chip and leave nothing but an oily residue in the centre!. no silver at all!. this on the CPU & GPU!.

I really beleived this stuff was quality from all I read about it. three~four months is'nt exactly a long time is it?. who regreases their CPU ever!. the only time I do it is if I have to whip the HeatSink off for some other reason.

According to their Blab A/S 3 does not migrate.

I can't argue with the Zalman. I think its great! I installed the rheostat on the case, along with my fan switches. Now when I leave the PC on all night, I simply turn the case fans off, and turn the Zalman fan down to the minimum.

When I'm using the machine, the fans get turned on, and the Zalman gets turned up to full whack. Its still pretty quiet, and 35c on a XP2000 is nothing to complain about!

Frankly, my all copper Zalman gets better performance that my all my mates Globalwins and Alphas.

BTW, slap a 120mm Delta fan on your Zalman. Sounds like the apocalpyse, but will create a excellent cooling solution.

P III 733 overclocked to 900, one $5 case fan, max temp - 52 Celcius after a few hours of gaming smile.gif

Well heres what i do for my comp. I have my fan in my room on 24/7 and i have the airconditioning on. Now if you dont have airconditioning i recommend keeping a fan on when you play. Im talking ceiling fan here. Should help. Make sure its in an area where it can get air. Not sitting in some desk where its hard to get air. Also, try opening a window.

Hope that helps.

I just now read this ive been out all day. But before I read this I took it upon myself to drill, oh I dont know... 50 holes or so in my case. I took all this gay design stuff off and cut big square in the front. On the left panel I cut a hole the size of my heatsink and connected the heatsink fan and the hole with one of those tubes you see behind a drier. Lol I cant imagine anyone could keep a straight fase when looking at it. Ill try to take some pics of it later with a webcam or something. Oh and my HSF is a Volcano 5, that name sounds kinda cheap to me but I have no clue, I already forgot how much it was.

I had sort of similar problem when I upgraded my computer about a year ago, to AMD 1.4 Ghz.

The problem was that the CPU was way too hot.

It easily climbed up to 80 degrees Celsius.

But then one friend of mine convinced me that the CPU

isn't that hot, the monitoring software just gives wrong result.

So I used one of my C programs that really make heavy calculations, and watched the heat rise up to 100 celsius.

I kept it there for about 15 minutes, and then decided that

maybe the software isn't telling the truth!

biggrin.gif

Well mine wasnt too bad until I put my ge force in. Now after checking with my jimmy-rigged modifications my comp is pretty much staying at 59 celsius even after playing ofp for a while. I do beleive badgerboy about the heatsink not being on properly though because my heatsink feels like its only about 35C. Ill have to check it some time but then I would have to disasemble my big tube to the cpu.

Try downloading MBM5(MotherBoard Monitor5). if the mobo's giving temperature falsies MBM5 will sort it out wink.gif ...

I think off the top of my head that 'Volcano's' are middle of the road, as HSF's go.

Thats a goodly drop in temp!. now mount a big 120 fan on the case side to cover the unsightly hole tounge.gif and do away with the one on the HS and you'll be flying!...

Its worth checking your HS is on properly. when you do make sure you have some thermal grease/compound to hand.

The Heatsink might have been mounted with a 'heatpad'. if this is the case get rid quick!!. scrape the crap off and clean with nailvarnish remover or CD head cleaner fluid. and apply the thinest possible coat of grease onto the CPU.

Loose lips may sink Ships,but...

...Thermalpads cost CPU Lives!. wow.gif  tounge.gif

Come to think of it It I kinda remember one of those pads on either my bro's or my heatsink and Im thinking its mine.

i just checked the temp of my processers on my system with MBM5 the case statys at 23 Degrees C processer one and two at idle is at 30 but when under load playing OFP processer one hit 42 and processer two is at 40 or so Degrees C

and the average is 37 for processer 1 and 36 for processer 37

my processers are P3 1ghz each

I heard that the amd xp can run up to 90oc but don't take me down for that, go to the website for all this stuff. Go there.. NOW!!!. But the higher the temp, the lower the life of the processor and co. But if don't think your xp will last 5 years, well, that's your problem biggrin.gif

My CPU was overheating as well, especially during hot days, after reaching the 70 degrees centigrade - that seems to be the temperature limit set in BIOS. I did resolve the problem by field-stripping the damn thing and vacuuming about half a kilo of dust from the various heatsinks and fans  biggrin.gif