Sign in to follow this  
ahmedjbh

Ambient combat - Needs work

Hi,

This feature is great, but could be so much better if we just have a little more options, eg intensity, type of forces, which teams, etc. I know you could edit this in the pbo, but it should have more customisability in the editor.

Hi,

This feature is great, but could be so much better if we just have a little more options, eg intensity, type of forces, which teams, etc. I know you could edit this in the pbo, but it should have more customisability in the editor.

you have always been able to adjust all those things you mentioned (when using the module in Arma2)...but you have to use scripting either in the module's init field or externally (which defeats the whole point of having the modules there to begin with).

They should make the modules work with no scripting necessary and you should be able to make all those adjustments via module menus...I never understood why they bother implementing some of those modules in such a half arsed way...do it right or dont do it at all.

Oh, and unless you use alot of fancy and officially undocumented external scripting they won't function properly in mulitplayer either. Again, these were the types of things alot of us were hoping to see fixed in A3 but thus far have not materialized.

Edited by BigShot

There are already scripts out there for Arma3 that do ambient combat very well. Just search!

Kremator I love that picture! It's totally hilarious! Is there a website for pictures like that? And what exactly is meant by"ambient combat"? Sgt. Joseph

There are already scripts out there for Arma3 that do ambient combat very well. Just search!

Hence my point.

You shouldnt need to have to add a script just for something to work. Not everyone is comfortable or has the time for scripting, but most people would benefit from having a more customisable ambient combat module.

Hence my point.

You shouldnt need to have to add a script just for something to work. Not everyone is comfortable or has the time for scripting, but most people would benefit from having a more customisable ambient combat module.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19833

There you go!

@Joseph I can't remember where I got the picture, sorry.

Kremator I love that picture! It's totally hilarious! Is there a website for pictures like that? And what exactly is meant by"ambient combat"? Sgt. Joseph

9gag? :p

Hence my point.

It isn't particularly difficult, or time consuming to adjust the paramters for these modules through the init box.

Using scripts really makes the Arma series! Even through simple manipulation you can make some amazing things.

Seriously just tell me what it means you trollface. Joseph

I've noticed this too...

(I've posted this in the tracker too)

It's the simple fact that high frequencies do not travel as far as low frequencies. That's why distant gun fire has a mid frequency 'POP' and distant explosions have a deep rumble due to the high frequency not being as audible to the human ear at range.

So the farther away the sound source, the less top end frequency you will hear.

Maybe they could apply a simple parametric low pass filter which progressively cuts & boosts frequencies depending on distance and direction from the sound source and obstacles in the way?

At the moment just lowering and raising the volume of sound sources isn't good enough to make it sound far away.

ARMA 2 did a descent job of this (although the modders did better :-)