Sign in to follow this  
Swifty_MARSOC

Left handed option?

"Personally we never did, but they do regularly [in regards to training]" - That kind of contradicts trying to nullify the realistic aspect of shoulder transitions. "Y'all" particular yanks never shoot molly dooker? Best disregard it for everybody then.

That is ignoring half my statement. The regulars never practice off-handed shooting (maybe in personal time?) and the special operations forces practice regularly, which makes up a small percentage. I never said it was useless for the game, I was just throwing in my opinion on the "realism" aspect being tossed around. Let's not make an argument out of something not worth arguing over. I wanted to give some people a different perspective. My singular voice can be easily overlooked for the benefit of the majority. Also, I never say "Y'all" :)

Wouldn't a brass deflector allow?

On SA80?

No, it's not a matter of where the brass goes once the bolt reciprocates, though this is the major issue on many other bullpups, depending on the design of their ejection port and charging handle assembly.

The issue with SA80 is that bolt reciprocates well into the space of the normal cheek-weld position of the weapon, so the charging handle which is connected to the bolt assembly will smash into your face if you try to shoot it from the left-shoulder. The handle is actually designed so it acts as the brass deflector on this particular weapon.

L22A2_ejectionport.jpg

The thin green slither of plastic on top of the receiver in the above photo shows the position of the cheek-rest on the SA80-series rifles, as you can see the handle goes well back into that space when the weapon fires.

I suppose whether left-shoulder transitions would be compatible with the existing bullpups in Arma 3 (Kabita, TRG-21 and any others that may appear in future) depends on the relative position of the ejection port to the required cheek-weld for the animation. Some bullpups can be fired from the left by tilting the weapon on its side when shouldered, using the top of the receiver as a cheek-weld rather than the side, and letting the brass eject downwards away from the face (seen this technique demonstrated IRL with the F88 Austeyr), but this animation would look funny using non-bullpup rifles, and still not look practical on bullpups where the charging handle is attached to the bolt assembly like the above SA80, as it can still catch your face.

Edited by da12thMonkey

Yeah I get you now, unless you want to lose teeth don't do it. Can you tilt the L85 in any way without making it unergonomic? Or get away from sighted fire with cheek to cheek-weld and get into non-sighted fire, would it be applicable? ... It gets selective in what weapons you can use the animation(s). As you say some bullpups allow it (e.g. AUG A3 and brass deflector gets rid of a few issues), but that animation on a non-bullpup would be silly as you don't need to fully tilt it down, as seen by methods such as the CSM grip on the M4 platform. That makes modding this just that much more complicated.

are they going to turn magpul into a playable faction in this game? seems like they're dominating this vision of the future.

Scarecrow, awesome. Where'd you get that from?

It's the dev version. It does that when you lean left.

Scarecrow, awesome. Where'd you get that from?

Twas in the update last night for the Dev build.

Beyond awesome. :)

It also applies when you sidestep left while crouching, though due to the nature of "free look" affecting your character's head position essentially 1:1, you can forget about the model maintaining cheek weld if you turn the camera view towards your character's left from either standing or crouching; the new "lay on left side perpendicular to direction of fire" with Ctrl+A (as opposed to the earlier urban prone with Ctrl+S) does not include a left-side stock/cheek transition.

That'd be (a) stance indicator GUI mod, the stance variant itself is from the dev build.

The issue is that this isn't just about mirroring the animations, it would require different models (as putting rifle on left shoulder would put it on the right one in old model), completely new config (some 1200+ classes with connections) with transitions to right handed and back. I don't want do discourage any community member from such effort, but it would take more than just a nick of time :icon_twisted:

So what classes needs to be changed?