Sign in to follow this  
nailbighter

Win xp + sound blaster live + resistance crashes

Windows XP + Sound Blaster Live + OFP Version 1.45

works fine...

I never had any problems with the sound at all except maybe the EAX didn't really work well.. I could hear tanks like a million miles a way.

But, now that I have Resistance

Resistance + Sound Blaster Live + WInXP

and I get glitches and noise...

Basically, anytime a Tank or big explosion happens..

I think you guys max out the amplitude of the sound card.

As in you send a sound to loud for the sound card to handle.

There a couple of facts that I would like to make an issue on...

1. All other games but, "Resistance work fine"

2. Restistance sometimes even freezes my computer... with a constant "noise"..

I assume that this is because the Restistance code has overloaded the buffer on the sound card.

It seems as if BIZ is saying that its Sound Blasters fault.. and that we should just get new drivers....

Well one they haven't changed the drivers since 11/07/01.

For the sound blaster live.

Also, how come I get the poping and noise only from Resistance...

This is a serious problem.. I can't play the game...

So, my money is essentially wasted.

I have turned off EAX, and hardware everything based on what Avon Lady has said. This does not help.

Please respond to this message... I feel this is a grave error.

Any help would be appreciated in this area..

Thanks

P.S. I know there are a lot of messages about sound.

But, this one is about Resistance only ...

Please respond only if you have resistance and you have a problem as well. Or if you know how to fix it.

Thanks you

Theres been a release for 5.1&Audigy drivers for win2000 and XP recently. its only win98 thats been really neglected.

New drivers came out yesterday for every SB Live and every OS as far as I'm aware, there were certainly XP drivers for my SB Live Value smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nailbighter @ July 18 2002,00:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2. Restistance sometimes even freezes my computer... with a constant "noise"..

I assume that this is because the Restistance code has overloaded the buffer on the sound card.

Well one they haven't changed the drivers since 11/07/01.

For the sound blaster live.

Also, how come I get the poping and noise only from Resistance...

This is a serious problem.. I can't play the game...

So, my money is essentially wasted.<span id='postcolor'>

When you freeze like that, it's just your machine that simply can not handle the load of OFPR. Have you checked the temp of your CPU, and what kind of ram are you dealing with?

I agree that BIS could fix the SB issue, but I suspect there is something "not upto standard" in Creative drivers and that's why they feel it's either not worth it, or it's a matter of principle.

confused.gif

Ghost Recon had the same issue with Creative, but I (along with others) made so much noise aobut it that they fixed it. But Ghost Recon is 30% sound unlike OFPR.

I did some more research...

and it appears to happen

when explosions or "other loud??" noise occur..

Like my sound is fine walking through a forest..

But, when tanks are involved and explosions and helicopters and all hell is breaking loose..

that's when it overloads... I think..

Have you tried any new drivers?. there should be two to try if somemore came out yesterday...

Now the question is do I reformat~Reinstallwin98 and see if Soundblastard have fixed the ACPI thing?..., see if they do fix win98 problems. lets see how big is that download... wow.gif

I have a crap soundblaster pci 128, but I get by with it. I went to get the new drivers but when I installed it it couldn't find 2 .dll files so I had to revert back 2 weeks to before I installed Resistance. I have to reinstall now. Stupid Creative Labs.

OK, I upgrade my sound card drivers and everything is totally fixed...

EXCEPT! There is still very small, very quiet noise..

I don't know why...

This only happens in resistance..

If I play a normal game I don't here it..

I got totally fed up with these Creative crap soundcards mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif I got the SB5.1 Platinum wich costed me a year ago more then 200 Euro's, and never had any fun of it....I also got the well known crankling sound bug in Flashpoint, and the same goes for Ghost Recon, and several other games .So today I tried out the new drivers mentioned in this and other topics, and it was gave me nothing then troubles confused.gif I uninstalled the old driver first, then installed the new one.So, after rebooting my computer, no sound at all! And it took ages before my computer was finished rebooting and starting Windows XP.

After uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers from the cd, my sound was back, but my pc is still slow as hell when starting up XP...So, I decided that tomorrow I will buy me a new card, and toss the crap SB card in the garbage ...Anyone knows a good decent card that gives no probs, and with decent drivers?

Thx.

I had that trouble with GR too!.

what kinda small quiet noise are you describing exactly?. it could be footsteps in the distance or something. can you be more specific?. is it there all the time, or sporadic?. what does it sound like?.

No, its a constant noise now..

Like a white noise..

Or a "kcccccccuuuhckk" sound... or a "shhhuckhhh" sound...

It sounds like the snow on a TV when you are bad channel....

Its quiet at least.. But, I basically have to keep the sound off or low...

I Have about 20 games and all of them work perfectly with my sounblaster live value. So I beleive it is the game that causes the problem. I have had this card for 2 years nearly and it has always been a great sound card. So I am excited and go and buy ofp resistance cause i wanted to see the new graphics and enhanced online play. I can't even start the campaign 90 percent of the time cause the game crashes within seconds of the codemasters presents appearing or sometimes i'm lucky and make it a couple minutes in. I can play for a couple minutes sometimes but it will always crash every single time. The game hard locks my system and this system is a fresh install of last week. I have the latest video card drivers I have the latest sound card drivers and I spent 30 dollars on a game and all it does is hard lock my system. I love bis and there awesome games but i wish they whould address this issue because for all those who have xp+sound blaster live+ resistance they are screwed. Not only did they spend 30 dollars on a game they can't play if they want to play it they have to spend another 70 bucks for a nice sound card and who knows if that one will work. I have windows xp pro corp, gainward geforce4 4400, kta raid motherboard and a 1200 mhz athlon. I spent alot of money on this machine and the new addtion to what i think is one of the greatest and innovative games I can't play:(

I don't have WinXP, I have win98. I thought I'd solved this problem by disableing ACPI. it ran fine for quite a while, but I was playing single missions mostly. now I've resumed the Campaign I am getting lots of CTD's and now the occasional HL again! sad.gif ...

I dont know what to do about this now!. I've been through everything!. all other games ran fine on my system. (apart from SoF2 which required running at un~overclocked GPU/CPU speeds). I'm not overclocking CPU/GPU at this time. I'm not sure if the single player games are running fine or if they're buggered as well as the Campaign.

BIS Help!!...

Dude!!

The sound over loads with vehicles only...!!

That's when it happens..

I hope the developers get to see this..

As I think I have narrowed it down to Vehicular noise...

Maybe look at the vehicle noise code..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BoonieRat @ July 18 2002,11:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Theres been a release for 5.1&Audigy drivers for win2000 and XP recently. its only win98 thats  been really neglected.<span id='postcolor'>

hummm I went to the site and I dont see new drivers for the Audigy --- Latest News - Worldwide

Sound Blaster Live! owners running Microsoft Windows XP or 2000 can now download the Sound Blaster Live! DriverPack which contains optimized drivers as well as application updates to enhance overall product performance under Windows XP or 2000. Available in the Drivers Section (7/17/02)

I only saw this.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nailbighter @ July 26 2002,22:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No, its a constant noise now..

Like a white noise..

Or a "kcccccccuuuhckk"  sound... or a "shhhuckhhh" sound...

It sounds like the snow on a TV when you are bad channel....

Its quiet at least.. But, I basically have to keep the sound off or low...<span id='postcolor'>

I get the same driving vehicles. What gets rid of it is to disable then re-enable hardware sound wow.gif

Problem there though is you have to do it everytime you enter a vehicle confused.gif

The Via latency patch helps too. I found I got the white noise during the game because I had overclocked my Ti-4200 too much (it overheated and my system locked!! But I got no artifacts or nothing, perhaps with better cooling). I assume its that, cos when I backed down on the o/c the problem stopped.

I am downloading the new drivers now, will post if it makes a difference or not.

Hatsumi

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hatsumi @ July 31 2002,11:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Via latency patch helps too.<span id='postcolor'>

If you have via chipset biggrin.gif

The new SB drivers sound a lot better, but there is still some crackling, but no where near as bad.

(Strangely after installing those new drivers, windows update decided I needed to download their version. BTW I use XP Home)

There's similar problems with Aureal-based cards and Win XP (or is it all just Win XP?). There's something wrong with the volume levels and the way the game detects what is near and far where some sounds like talking are way too quiet. There is the volume "overload" with vehicles as well.

Haven't had these types of problems with any other game, it's definitely an OFP phenomenon.