Sign in to follow this  
Reuben5150

Influx of casuals to Arma

First, i'm pretty new to this forum myself but not new to the Arma2 engine, my experience in Arma2 comes from around 1000 hours in associated mods as player and server admin of which shall remain nameless.

Now listen, all these tards coming here from Cod and BF3 need to be kicked into touch, you know what i'm talking about, its quite obvious even to me, there is a real risk of what happened to the Battlefield series happening here too.

You need to fight this tooth and nail, i shit you not.

Why am i saying this ? because i am bewildered by the lack of input by the long-time Arma players, it seems that there are only a few that can be bothered to post here and not quite the "resistance force" i had expected to see here, surely there are more....

Mods... please don't see this post as flame-baiting or some such bs, its late, i am drunk, and i am just trying to get a message across, i also mean no disrespect to the new guys but being hard is necessary.

Thank you.

Maybe because this community of long time arma-players are not the typical i will bash your brain in, spurting go back to playing COD or BF posts to anyone who comes through the door that every other gaming forum seems to have degenerated into.

Maybe because this community of long time arma-players are not the typical i will bash your brain in, spurting go back to playing COD or BF posts to anyone who comes through the door that every other gaming forum seems to have degenerated into.

I wish I could say that was accurate.

[/color]Yeah man. This forum is full of cranky old Arma vets who shake their fists and tell people to go back to cod/bf3/insert-FPS.

You shouldn't be worried though. More people buying this can only help the game overall. If you don't like someone, don't play with them.

I think when you write things this way you're being pretty arrogant and elitist, yeah Arma is getting more popular, and more casual gamers are coming but why would it make the newcomers tards? and why the arma series would take the battlefield approach?

It's more about Bohemia choices than anything else.

I've been reading lot of threads and posts of people bashing arma3 because of the more fluid moviment since they are finding flaws now, but the main problem is that somethings in the game, like the lack of inertia or the recoil "issue" arent clear if they are intended to be that way. They should try to make a list of the features on the alpha that are placeholders or are unfinished to receive a better feedback, but the devs said that we should post feedback about everything that we don't like, even if we don't know if they are bugs/placeholders or even if we just want to suggest a change.

If you're afraid that the influx of casual players and newcomers from other popular series would affect the game the better you should do is post feedback if BIS change something to please them and would be a bad thing for the game, and i don't think that they are doing it.

About the multiplayer servers i don't really know, if the casual gamers would be bad for it, i couldnt buy arma2 because i didnt had a credit card and when i could arma 3 was in development so i thought i could wait for it, but as far as i know the best mp missions are usually played by a "closed" community.

Somebody had to say it I suppose,just what a lot of folk were thinking TBH.

You can say the OP is being elitist or not,but you just need to take a look at what the forum has become like in the last 2 weeks.

Normally most folk don't want to bash any new blood but the arrogance and lack of what the Arma series is/was is glaringly obvious to all.

There have been a lot of posts bashing the new guys and a lot of posts sticking up for them by calling the "older" players "elitists",but I think we are just being protective of something we all love and don't want to see it become just another generic FPS shooter.

I think you just have to look at some of the posts here to make that distinction,eg: killstreaks in game/jumping/180 degree spin button to name but a few.

Seeing posts like this in the Arma forum,it is no wonder the "older" players are getting a little cranky,albeit the way we maybe put it across could sometimes be worded a little better,

Mick. :)

Edited by 3instein

Just a response, that's all...

Elitist arrogant and misinformed opinion.

What exactly do you suppose 'we' do about 'CoD players' playing Arma?... Call them names until they uninstall?

What on earth do you mean that we got to 'fight' them?

Well,i think we will just have to wait.It's too soon to talk about it,since Arma changed a lot,and BI's goal is unclear.But i trust them,and i have faith they will keep Arma with the same hardcore formula.

It scares me,when i see things like the current movement and recoil.We pointed it out,now lets see if they will fix it.

Read my signature.

Elitist arrogant and misinformed opinion.

What exactly do you suppose 'we' do about 'CoD players' playing Arma?... Call them names until they uninstall?

What on earth do you mean that we got to 'fight' them?

I think he meant the way these "COD players" can affect the development,turning Arma 3 into a more casual experience rather than keeping it "Arma".;)

Edited by Alistair

[/color]Yeah man. This forum is full of cranky old Arma vets who shake their fists and tell people to go back to cod/bf3/insert-FPS.
The easiest way to lure them out of the woodwork is with a good old fashioned "infantry movement/weapon handling" thread... or when someone involved with the implementation dares to defend what they did instead of being cowed :icon_twisted:

Easy answer to the OP's question: Because the rest of the long-timers either are actually secretly backing these changes but don't feel like drawing the cranky one's ire, or they would have disagreed but they'd already left (and thus aren't around to speak up) after the Steamworks announcement. Funny that, I see so much overlap between those that remain and the vocal Steam-haters...

Alistair, I believe that Lucasmnunesk is correct: no influx of casuals can force changes to the game as much as the devs themselves wanting changes can. :icon_twisted: Although, I wouldn't be surprised if the "lack of clarity over how much of this is actually in line with dev intent" is because there isn't a singular consensus dev intent among the devs and thus no one can speak for them as a whole...

P.S. Read my signature. ;)

No I’m sure they won’t feel any disrespect whatsoever.:rolleyes:.

There isn’t an old guard, BIS sold, well its hush, hush, but lets say over 300,000 of the series, lot more owing to dayz now, so lets say towards a million copies of the series, maybe more, who knows don't forget its hush, hush.:confused:

There is only 8000 or so members on this forum, probably a lot more now, but the last time I looked. Lets say around a third of them are really active, here on this forum, we’ve hit a round about figure, which is probably around 2500 (maybe less), sounds o.k. yes it is, there are only 32 in my community (I'm the only active one on this forum from my 'community', well group of friends, its not a community), that’s the people I play the game with, but there are probably 100’s maybe even thousands of small communities like that, we play the game with a couple of those, ones we have come to know personally, over time, really from ASL/VASL days.

So what am I saying, well this is an open community, open to anyone that sticks by the rules on the whole and plays the series or just finds it interesting. Therefore asking members to wade in and stop the new ones from posting, is frankly ridiculous, we are all part of an open community for the BIS series, many of us will be members of smaller communities, where, becoming a member there may have very different rules. If you want that, go join a clan or community that is less open than this one or form one yourself. But don't moan about people wanting to try the series out, we wouldn't have a game if it wasn't for them...;)

I'm going to add -- it wasn't a horde of COD fans coming into the Battlefield player base (pre-BF3) and forcing EA to change the Bad Company 2 gameplay to be more COD and call it BF3, it was EA having a case of the green-eyed monster WRT Activision. ;) That is part of why I consistently make a differentiation when it comes to "why I like Arma"...

To simplify ChrisB's point: the BI forums are not wholy representative of the Arma player base even pre-DayZ, merely "vocal enough to care to do it on BI's forums".

Somebody had to say it I suppose,just what a lot of folk were thinking TBH.

You can say the OP is being elitist or not,)

No Mick, not at all, what I am trying to say I guess is we need to try to educate the new people.... I just don't see the level of activity here that I had expected.

And After seeing my favourite game franchise destroyed by corporate greed, I'd hate to see the same thing happen here, but I am probably being OTT about all of this, after all this is Arma right ?

And Chris I never mentioned trying to stop anyone posting here.

---------- Post added at 02:13 ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 ----------

I'm going to add -- it wasn't a horde of COD fans coming into the Battlefield player base (pre-BF3) and forcing EA to change the Bad Company 2 gameplay to be more COD and call it BF3, it was EA having a case of the green-eyed monster WRT Activision. ;)".

But you assume it isnt a factor ?, that's why they have "community managers" to watch the forums, silently.

Edited by Reuben5150

And After seeing my favourite game franchise destroyed by corporate greed, I'd hate to see the same thing happen here, but I am probably being OTT about all of this, after all this is Arma right ?
Frankly speaking, yes. Yes you are.

Re: educating the new people -- so what are you doing not spending all your time in the "help this noob out with this question" thread? ;) Less than two hours ago the attitude you proposed was "all these tards coming here from Cod and BF3 need to be kicked into touch"... hell, if that's the reception, why wouldn't they take their "help this noob out with this" questions to other Arma player gatherings such as Reddit (I've seen several such "noob question" topic threads there), Something Awful (has an Arma 3 thread and an ACE-for-A2 thread), etc.?

Re: CMs -- I suppose I'm more used to them serving a PR/spokesman function elsewhere, but if you're trying to throw shade on my characterization of EA/BF3, I'll disagree: EA's hand wasn't forced by a COD player invasion, it was forced by their greed for market share, their desire to "move on Activision's turf". That's most distinctly what I'm not seeing from BI...

I ll use a poor-translated Greek proverb.

"My tongue has grown hair of many times saying:.." THE POWER LIES TO MISSION MAKER (..AND his parameters)

BIS doing it's best to deliver More features more..more..more.

Yes..as it seems this time the "looks" of ARMA3 (and some features) can and they WILL draw different kind of players to our world.

I m 'classic' guy and i don't like drastic changes but..there is a choice.

ARMA IS a "sandbox"-you can build almost anything your mind can dream so..

"THEY" can have their playground as long old-fashion/good'ol players keep getting more and more to make their ARMA3 experience FAR better than previous titles..

Don't worry-YOU choose your playground :)

Let's be serious. The only way to actually really play ArmA is with a closed group on a closed server. On public it's organized chaos with the objective being constantly completed without mission restart, or if you get into a good game and catch up with your team after a 10 minute jog, you get killed by a noob who says "ohh, I thought this was free for all".

ArmA is great, but it is really just a (mostly chronically incomplete) platform. The community makes the game and you need to find your place. The BF3 noobs do matter not on there, and if they do bother you, then you are doing something wrong. BF3 noobs on this forum, matter not, too.

Alright then, now to find a group to enjoy game. Where do we start...

I remember when operation flashpoint came out. I was at the store and it was between that or Half-Life. I thought it looked interesting but decided to go another route- I had fun with half-life but regret not getting into this series sooner. I bought Arma2 about 2 months ago and now realize how much I have missed out on. I played (and loved) the first call of duty that came out, but didn't buy another COD till COD MW3.

I am sold on these Arma games- with the editor, scripting, etc. I love sandbox games. I come from COD / BF3 / Counter Strike but what the Arma series offers is what I have always wanted in a game.

BTW Reuben, you play on MSO MilGO on Arma2?

I'm going to add -- it wasn't a horde of COD fans coming into the Battlefield player base (pre-BF3) and forcing EA to change the Bad Company 2 gameplay to be more COD and call it BF3, it was EA having a case of the green-eyed monster WRT Activision. ;) That is part of why I consistently make a differentiation when it comes to "why I like Arma"...

To simplify ChrisB's point: the BI forums are not wholy representative of the Arma player base even pre-DayZ, merely "vocal enough to care to do it on BI's forums".

You know, I'm just going to leave this to you regular guys, I have no intention or will to get involved any further.

And just to be clear, your talking to someone who absolutely knows Bf3 in every respect and what dice/ea did, there are things I still can't believe In the design....

---------- Post added at 03:15 ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 ----------

I remember when operation flashpoint came out. I was at the store and it was between that or Half-Life. I thought it looked interesting but decided to go another route- I had fun with half-life but regret not getting into this series sooner. I bought Arma2 about 2 months ago and now realize how much I have missed out on. I played (and loved) the first call of duty that came out, but didn't buy another COD till COD MW3.

I am sold on these Arma games- with the editor, scripting, etc. I love sandbox games. I come from COD / BF3 / Counter Strike but what the Arma series offers is what I have always wanted in a game.

BTW Reuben, you play on MSO MilGO on Arma2?

Pm me mate, I'm done with this thread

But don't moan about people wanting to try the series out, we wouldn't have a game if it wasn't for them...;)

ArmA 3 was announced Mid 2011 via the ARG hosted by BIS. I fail to see how the influx of new people to the series has funded the game. If anything the success and development of the standalone DayZ has halted any production to ArmA 3. Hence the release date has been changed twice already.

Let them come I say, and let them see the error of their ways.

I really wish we could come up with some other sort of benchmark to compare Arma to. I see the BF3/CoD comparisons made all the time. I think comparing those games to Arma hurts this franchise more then anything because you're priming people to come in with the wrong expectations of what this game is all about. They're not even remotely in the same ball park. If I was gonna throw comparisons out there, I'd say something like RO2, or Rainbow Six.

As for what direction the Arma franchise is going, I'd say BI is smart enough not to bend over and take it from a bunch of people asking for an arcade experience, or features that would bias the game towards a certain direction. In the years I've been playing BI games, they've all been consistent. I'm not worried about them selling out to "the casual gamer" because they've shown from their last 2 games (Arma 1, Arma 2, OFP is the original, basically) that they have a similiar vision for each game, with new improvements to old features.

BI's consistency in their games is why I'm still playing since Cold War Assault. Remember when Codemasters and BI seperated for whatever reason? Yeah, the Operation Flashpoint (see: Dragon Rising) series is what we'd be seeing if Arma went the way of the mainstream.

TL;DR: I'm not worried whatsoever about BI selling out to the mainstream shooter audience.

I'd say something like RO2, or Rainbow Six..

People already have. Yeah sure, course the common ones are BF/COD/MOH.

;2352124']ArmA 3 was announced Mid 2011 via the ARG hosted by BIS. I fail to see how the influx of new people to the series has funded the game. ...snip...

How do you think BIS, as a business, are or have been funded to-date ?

After the initial funding for any business has worn down, which I can vouch for doesn’t take that long, you then put yourself in the hands of the people who buy your product, that’s from the first person ever to pick up your product (2001 or whenever for BIS) to the one downloading it right now and those hopefully tomorrow and beyond. You, me and everyone else who has bought into this series or others made by BIS have funded the games, that in essence, includes the one that’s not even downloaded it yet, but will on payday..

Releasing as an Alpha, is also a good form of ongoing funding for the game and so on... Wish I could have released my products in WIP form. Ah, the easing of cashflow...:D

dayz was an incredible piece of marketing. that's how bis makes money.

Last time I checked, Arma was advertised as a sandbox that allows anyone to play the way they liked it. You want a serious coop? Don't tell me you host it on a public server where anyone can join and ruin your game. More people means more money for BIS, better funding and better products. The people fearing that here come the CoD kiddies and will ruin their elite game really need to take a breather. Even if some under-aged, mother-insulting morons play this, they will get bored soon, it's just not that kind of game. Also, BF4 is coming out this year. Worse thing that can happen is the community splitting into serious players and those hanging out in public deathmatch games. People need to chill and stop that paranoia propaganda.

Fplease don't see this post as flame-baiting or some such bs, its late, i am drunk, and i am just trying to get a message across, i also mean no disrespect to the new guys but being hard is necessary.

Don't tell people what is the necessary approach towards other people - they can think on their own and can decide on their own. Also, your post is exactly flame baiting and you know it. What you are trying to do is encourage the community to be hard on anyone who just picked up Arma with Arma 3 for no apparent reason other that they play BF3 or COD. Well you sir have a lot of BF tags in your signature, oh wait, right, Bad Company is the realistic part of the series. And last but not least: If you have been drinking, don't drive, text your ex... or post in any forums.