Sign in to follow this  
JestersDead

Viable stealth options?

from what ive seen its hard to do stealth stuff because the ai hear it as if there is no silencer sometimes

One thing I've noticed is that if the enemy are firing units standing next to him ignore the fact that he's firing. Shouldn't they at least be looking around.

i phrased like that because most of us grew up with silencers in movies, and in movies they are indeed almost completely silent. sometimes they are shown with just the trigger sound, sometimes with a muffled air pressure sound and sometimes with a "ptew" laser gunlike noise

and those dont exist

but the supressor name is way more accurate given what they do, changing the sound from 160db to 130db is very far from silencing anything.

they exist....

.308 subsonic and sonic comparison

and

Well I wasn't able to really make a comprehensive video, but I did run several scenarios and etsted it out in various conditions. The result were... confusing. I set up a scenario with 3 AI troops in daylight. one 100m away, another about 50m from him within line of sight, and the third another 50m away behind a wall with no LOS to the others. They were all facing away from me, normal difficulty and default skill OPFOR riflemen. I was able to drop all 3 of them one by one without alerting the others. I couldn't group them and test it, because no matter what I did they would spawn in formation, and obviously dropping them 1m from a friendly will cause an alert.

So after testing this out I decided to set up another mission, but on a larger scale, and at night. I have several roving guards moving around the city. This one is a little trickier. The results are a mixed bag. Sometimes I get spotted before I can even fire, sometimes I can take half the guards down before I get detected, sometimes I get spotted the first time I fire, and the enemy headshots me at night with no NVG's from 200m. I can chalk a lot of this up to the randomness of the AI behavior, and many of the early detections may just be the coincidence of an AI troop looking in exactly the right spot when I moved, or when I fired. Fairly inconclusive results, to be honest. I need to set up a few scenarios with much more controlled variables to really get useable results.

One thing I hadn't considered until I was spawned in as an OPFOR soldier while testing is that the OPFOR riflemen will use NVG's in Arma 3. So using the IR pointer at night may give you away. It would also make the muzzle flashes much more pronounced. I'm not sure if this factors into detection, but it seems highly likely.

Did you guys realized that "Stealth weapon" are not really stealth right?

in real life, even with subsonic rounds, suppressed weapon still produce noise above 120db, which is louder than ambulance siren.

Actually, the biggest advantage of sound suppressor is that the shooters don't need ear plugs, hence better situational awareness.

only in Jame Bond or Call of Duty you could shoot people without sound...

Edited by Lugiahua

Did you guys realized that "Stealth weapon" are not really stealth right?

in real life, even with subsonic rounds, suppressed weapon still produce noise above 120db, which is louder than ambulance siren.

Actually, the biggest advantage of sound suppressor is that the shooters don't need ear plugs, hence better situational awareness.

only in Jame Bond or Call of Duty you could shoot people without sound...

again,

they exist....

.308 subsonic and sonic comparison

and

if you dont KNOW what you are talking about, please dont spread disinformation, especialy when there is proof otherwise 2 posts above your post....

I couldn't group them and test it, because no matter what I did they would spawn in formation

I don't have the editor open right now but each unit has a field titled "Special" that by default is set to "In Formation". If you set this to "None" for the squad leader they should spawn where you placed them, although it's possible that the SL will order them into formation, so you might want to shoot quickly after you load the mission.

Anyways, I'd like to see stealth options become more viable as well, since killing once person sets the enemy in DEFCON 1, at least for the group.

Here's what I came up with:

- Make sure guards are around 100m away and not facing you and they won't hear your suppressed shot!

- Make sure your target is in no group to keep it in a distance to witnesses!

- Reducing the enemies skill level helps in reducing their sixth sense of pinpointing your shot.

- If playing at night you might want to restrict some of the enemies from night vision (i.e. use light riflemen)

- Use a script to set the enemies awareness level back if they weren't able to spot you! (no idea how)