Sign in to follow this  
Evilhardt

Double Reload -> bullet in chamber

Would be nice if one bullet would remain in the chamber after a double reload. So reloading with a magazine with at least one bullet in it and then reloading with a new magazine with k bullets in it gives you k+1 bullets in total – one in the chamber and k in the new magazine.

yup, did so. I think that one guy made a good point though. Thus we might need the option to eject the bullet in chamber.

Would be nice if one bullet would remain in the chamber after a double reload. So reloading with a magazine with at least one bullet in it and then reloading with a new magazine with k bullets in it gives you k+1 bullets in total – one in the chamber and k in the new magazine.

If a round is in the magazine, it's not in the chamber. What you're asking for is the ability to charge your weapon. Chambering a round isn't strictly limited to reloading like BF3 has seemingly made you believe.

If a round is in the magazine, it's not in the chamber. What you're asking for is the ability to charge your weapon. Chambering a round isn't strictly limited to reloading like BF3 has seemingly made you believe.

No what they are asking is that the round in the chamber not magically disappear. If you load 30 rounds in a magazine, charge the weapon, release the magazine, put a fresh 30 round magazine in, how many rounds total are in the gun now?

No what they are asking is that the round in the chamber not magically disappear. If you load 30 rounds in a magazine, charge the weapon, release the magazine, put a fresh 30 round magazine in, how many rounds total are in the gun now?

Yes right, as chambering the round is part of the reload process anyway (in the game I mean (currently there is no real chambering animation with all weapons though. Only the "reload slider" (don't know the correct term in English) moves magically). This is also the case in BF3... you cannot reload a weapon without charging it there, nor do I know any other game where you can do that).

Just to make things clear: If this was implemented we would also need a new reload animation for the case that there is a round in the chamber. So to summarize it:

We need the following features:

- Eject the round in chamber

- If there is a round in the chamber when reloading: keep the round in chamber

- The round in chamber must not magically become a round of a different type if the new magazine is of a different type than the one of which the bullet in chamber came from (tracer vs conventional for example) but stay the type it is (that's why we need a ejection mechanism - to eject a bullet of a type that we don't want (tracer for example))

- Two different reload animations: One with chambering if the chamber is empty and one without in case of a tactical reload.

Edited by Evilhardt

Tactical vs Dry reload do make an diference in CQB scenarios it not only would be nice but also realistic to have such feature and may be a "solution" for the sidearm + animation problem that was pointed out in another thread.

In case of a tactical reload, wouldn't be possible to use the current animations but stop it after the magazine is in and skip the whole push\pull\press the comes after it?

Anyway if was that simple I think that they would have done it already.

COD since the 2nd also does that if that matters :rolleyes:

The Kar98 in RO2 lose a round when you open the bolt unlike the Mosin where the bullet stays chambered. That is how these rifles work IRL?

You also have the option to load a whole clip or single bullets.

Now how to handle if a magazine is removed from the weapon and added to a vest... should said round stay in the chamber and if so how should it be removed?

i personally remove my magazine around bases until i leave the starting area to prevent ND's in CO-OP games.

Now how to handle if a magazine is removed from the weapon and added to a vest... should said round stay in the chamber and if so how should it be removed?

Well... either by firing it or with an ejection mechanism...

COD since the 2nd also does that if that matters :rolleyes:

But CoD doesn't have rounds tied to their magazines but a magical round-pool.

Well... either by firing it or with an ejection mechanism...

But CoD doesn't have rounds tied to their magazines but a magical round-pool.

Good point.

Wow, surprised ArmA hasn't already been doing this.

Yea, ain't it? But apparently not so many people really care about this... so why bother doing it...

I'm surprised that they have not implemented this in Arma already given that it is considered by many to be the most authentic military simulator. Unfortunately, many people don't understand that rounds do not fire from the magazine. They fire from the chamber. Having a round in the chamber already should also make reloads quicker since "charging" the weapon would not be required. I also like the idea of adding a round ejection mechanism. This would help to further illustrate weapon mechanics and help people understand how to clear a weapon properly.

Sadly, people have been injured or even killed in the past simply because they did not understand this concept while handling a firearm. Although it is not the responsibility of game developers to teach weapon mechanics, people will "learn" from games anyway. It would be better to have proper weapon mechanics since not only does it look and feel more authentic, it may actually save someone's life!

Edited by KnightWolf357

I will make a guess on how the devs reply:

"The currently config system does not allow such function"

I wish I will be prove wrong, but it is very likely the case here(just like rifle>pistol transition while moving) FPDR

must be a bug, was in the previous games... also are we missing a proper "put round in chamber" animation if magazine was empty?

It's the Admin Reload vs Tac Reload. This would be a nice addition but will require a significant amount of work to implement. New code, new animations, etc..etc...

usually i would say throw this to the mod forums, but this seems like a reasonable request for vanilla functionality!

+1