k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

Should the thread even still be open?

Though I guess it's good to have one central place for this instead of new ones popping up all the time.

Everybody would like better performance. But some people are just drama queens about it. On my pc the showcase missions are perfectly playable. create something extreme in the editor and performance will bog down further than arma2, this will probably be fixed one way or another.

there is plenty of answers from developers on the subject but people tend to ignore them, what else is there to say ? we know about it, will be dealt with ... all needed to be said was said

I think you should mention the problem on the ArmA3 webpage (known issues), with the explanation of what you're doing exactly to address this issue, so people will stop complaining, or at least we will have a official link to post when someone asks.

Why this hasn't been done yet?

I think you should mention the problem on the ArmA3 webpage (known issues), with the explanation of what you're doing exactly to address this issue, so people will stop complaining, or at least we will have a official link to post when someone asks.

Why this hasn't been done yet?

it was mentioned on SPOTREP and maybe also some SITREP

No, maybe for you it's that your PC isn't adequate. What are your system specs? And what do you mean by low FPS? What command line parameters do you currently have? The cpuCount and malloc commands affect gameplay.

I get lowerish utilization on my GPU even without AI present too. It's usually around 40-50% sometimes upwards of like 60%. That's actually really not that bad though. I would expect it to peak around 75-80% just rendering normal scenes.

Ok, he didn't ask if it was mentioned on a SPOTREP and "maybe" some SITREP. He mentioned the Top Known Issues page. Why is it so damn hard for you to add it to the Top Known Issues page? Why are you all so resistant to doing that? What problem do you have with doing this very simple thing? Because it indicates that this isn't a priority for you. It signifies that you're not adding it to this page because you don't view this issue as a top issue. So I'd like a thorough explanation of why you haven't done this.

One last time: 1) Why aren't you adding this CPU/GPU utilization issue to the Top Known Issues page? It's there to indicate what your priorities are and what you see as Top Issues. 2) Do you even see this issue as a TOP issue? 3) Are you ever going to add this issue to that page?

And please, just simply answer the questions and don't dodge the question. Don't want to hear anything about SPOTREPs or SITREPs or some supposed place where you mentioned this issue.

---------- Post added at 16:12 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

What do you mean by 'no?'.

I am telling you that my cpu and gpu is underused when no ai is present.

This is not something you can disagree with.

2500k and 6950(70).

The no was to your saying that the problem with the game is more fundamental than ai when you said you have problems without ai. I asked for your system specs and for what was considered low for you. Because without AI, I get around 30 FPS on Stratis when out in the open, and about 20 FPS when near a lot of trees. So, I just want to understand if that's what you mean by low FPS. Because part of the issue could be your system specs. Either way, the primary problem for me is that the game is too dependent on CPU. Not sure if BIS can change this to use more of the GPU or use more cores, but I'd like for them to make the issue a top issue, but so far they are reluctant to make it a top priority to fix. That's very clear by the 1) refusal to add the issue to the Top Known Issues page and 2) by the cosntant dodging of questions by devs (looking at you, Dwarden).

Edited by antoineflemming

so, just because it's everywhere else but the Known Issues it does mean we (I) evading it,

seriously just search the answers I made in this thread ...

then ask who is evading who (just try count how many times I wrote we know about it)

don't get me started on the difference between ALPHA and BETA development cycle or development schedules

so, just because it's everywhere else but the Known Issues it does mean we (I) evading it,

seriously just search the answers I made in this thread ...

then ask who is evading who (just try count how many times I said we know about it)

don't get me started on the difference between ALPHA and BETA development cycle or development schedules

then perhaps a stickied link right below this subject that says "Low CPU utilization & Low FPS, acknowledgements and actions taken" and inside the post will be all the info you have supplied sofar and reasurance that you are aware of the issue and it is being dealt with, that would really help cool things down.

... and 5s after it's on the Known issues, someone complains about it not YET be fixed ...

... and 5s after it's on the Known issues, someone complains about it not YET be fixed ...
you know this is a no win situation...you cant put out the fire but you can prevent it from spreading :), trust me most of us ( except the trolls) want to you to succeed and if on the final release we have been proved wrong we will line up for some crow and show our support by trying to sell this game to anyone we can :) Edited by ric

It's been 10 years, not 5 seconds your engine rely too much on CPU

It was understandable when CPU makers were bragging about having 10+GHz very soon, but seriously multicore/low clocks speeds processors are here to stay so...

It's been 10 years, not 5 seconds your engine rely too much on CPU

It was understandable when CPU makers were bragging about having 10+GHz very soon, but seriously multicore/low clocks speeds processors are here to stay so...

hmmmm liquid oxygen is -300...i wonder if i can use that on my corsair water system...:cool:

That would satisfy me for it to be on that page. Besides, most intelligent people know that it won't be immediately fixed just because it shows up on that page. One more question, since you still dodged the questions: How does leaving this issue off of that page help in anyway? How is that better than putting it on the page?

Your putting this on that page is an acknowledgement, after years not addressing the issue, that it finally is an important enough issue for BIS to fix. THAT is what it helps. By the way, I'm not asking if you are aware of the issue. I was asking if it was a priority for the dev team. Now could you please come back with the answers to my questions? They are quite simple questions. If all of them have been answered, please point me to the posts that answer the questions. That would be some much appreciated information from the Community Manager...

i am comparatively happy with it. Its confirmed and the thread is sticky.

I'm just gonna ride this out and see what happens. If the problem persists in the final version then I'll start handing out the pitchforks... :p

I mean, if you guys (BIS) need us to run a benchmark with our system specs, and send you data...please just give us a procedure and we can do it. Right now it's hard to say anything other than "it runs poorly and barely utilizes CPU/GPU" which is not exactly concrete data for you guys to go on.

I'm just gonna ride this out and see what happens. If the problem persists in the final version then I'll start handing out the pitchforks... :p

I mean, if you guys (BIS) need us to run a benchmark with our system specs, and send you data...please just give us a procedure and we can do it. Right now it's hard to say anything other than "it runs poorly and barely utilizes CPU/GPU" which is not exactly concrete data for you guys to go on.

Good Idea !

:bounce3:

A set benchmark with key factors that are segmented and isolated so that you can see how each one affects performance and usage would probably help the most. For instance AI with all their different behaviors running separately instead of concurrently like they normally do so you could see if it's any one specific behavior script or if it's a combination of them all together.

@Dwarden

It's about the fact that 4 years later we are getting the same blanket answer. If you came to me and said "Man your cars performance is terrible" and I said "Yeah I know about it", that's not really an indication that I'm going to fix it, especially if I gave you that same answer 4 years after you initially reported that to me and I gave you the same answer again. What people want is to know it really is actually going to be addressed and fixed. Seeing it persist for 4 years or more doesn't really instill much faith.

Edited by Insanatrix

where? because i never saw it. maybe? you don´t know then.

you guys seriously need to hire a pr firm, this is disastrous.

"dif between alpha and beta"

so the game will make use of more cores for its main threads? or are you guys just gonna create a ton of new physx/clouds threads to make use of the other cores to get the usage up with no performance gains? and based on what you said about the difference between alpha and beta, am i to expect this change before beta?

simple direct questions, gotta love them.

edit.:

i know a simple way to fix everything, too bad it wasnt done from start:

set the minimum required specs to an amd 8350 with a 7950 and recommended to an 3960 with nvidia titan. only those with a 3960 and titan would have any basis for complaining, and those should be way less than 1% of players.

Edited by white

Im so sick. I played ArmA II for years. And Bohemia dont get their work together to fix the Engine Issues. They got so much extra Money only from the DayZ hype. Im playing now for hours with commands like: exthreads, cpucount etc. Its an Alpha I know. But the Engine problems are still their.

A set benchmark with key factors that are segmented and isolated so that you can see how each one affects performance and usage would probably help the most. For instance AI with all their different behaviors running separately instead of concurrently like they normally do so you could see if it's any one specific behavior script or if it's a combination of them all together.

dry but interrstng reading

Actually Concurrency is when you have multiple threads of execution that are interleaved -- NOT parallelism. "One of the misconceptions about concurrency is people often confuse concurrency and parallelism. Concurrency is a programming model that lets you express things that are independent, as independent executions and parallelism is about running two things at the same time. They are not the same idea and a lot of people confuse them, they think they are the same thing, but concurrency and parallelism are best thought of as a different idea."

Parallel processing just refers to a program running more than 1 part simultaneously, usually with the different parts communicating in some way. This might be on multiple cores, multiple threads on one core (which is really simulated parallel processing), multiple CPUs, or even multiple machines.

Multicore processing is usually a subset of parallel processing.

dry but interrstng reading

I'm just talking about the scripts running concurrently in one thread. I'm pretty sure the scripting is only single threaded.

game has the potential to be the best game ever, please fix the fps and cpu utilization problems!!!!!!!!

A design of experiment with the different settings (both graphics settings and in-game objects) could enlighten some aspects of the cpu and gpu utilization issue. I have seen these on smaller scale with the "optimize your settings" threads, but in order to really know what affects (the factors) the most, such a statistics test could be done. My knowledge on programming and rendering is limited, but I would like to try to come up with a test that can say "with 95% confidence, there is definitely a relationship between X and cpu usage and Y and gpu usage". If there is any interest, I am more than willing to try.